Marathon or half marathon trainees...

Options
I am hoping to run a marathon in May and I bought a book about marathon training. It's schedule is so weird and complicated and I would like an easier one to follow! Is there one online?
Also, if you would post what you are training for and when your race is and any tips you have about running that would be awesome! Please share your experience knowledge with the rest of us!!!

Thanks!!

Angie

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    www.marathonrookie.com
    I used a plan on there to train for my first half marathon earlier this year. I liked it pretty well. I've also used a plan from Runner's World that was great.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm using Hal Higdon's half marathon training schedule for novice. here's the one for full marathon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html

mind you it assumes you've already got a good base and aren't a total newbie to running.

I'm training for a mud run in March, Tough Mudder in September, then the Sacramento Marathon in December.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm using Hal Higdon's half marathon training schedule for novice. here's the one for full marathon:

mind you it assumes you've already got a good base and aren't a total newbie to running.

I'm training for a mud run in March, Tough Mudder in September, then the Sacramento Marathon in December.

Just wanted to second the Higdon. I've used it for 2 half marathons and 1 full. Good stuff!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have trained for 3 halves in the past year and I just started training for my first full and I have used hal higdon's training plans every time. They work!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

Just wanted to second the Higdon. I've used it for 2 half marathons and 1 full. Good stuff!

I just started using this!! Very Good Indeed!!!:flowerforyou:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I always use plans from runnersworld.com. You can adjust the plan to one of 3 levels based on how hard you want to train, mileage, etc. For half marathons it only has your running 4 days per week. 2 shorts days of 2 or 3 miles, and the other 2 runs get longer with each week. Still allows time for cross training (xt), recovery, weights, etc.

So a typical week would be:

Mon - rest or xt
    Tues - 2 or 3 miles
    Weds - Speed work or temp run 4 miles (gets longer as you progress)
    Thu - rest or xt
    Fri - 2 or 3 miles
    Sat - rest or xt
    Sun - 6 mile long run (gets longer as you progress)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Higdon's Novice that's what I'm using.

The Higdon's starts you off immediately at 3 miles. If you haven't done three miles then you can do what I did. Start of with Higdon's 5K trainer, which starts you off at either 1 mile or 1.5 miles I forget, and works you up to three, and then roll into the Half. It turns the 12 week trainer into a 20 week trainer, but for a race in May you have plenty of time, just count back the weeks so you know when to start.

The great thing about the Higdon's is he gives you just a distance. "2 mile run".... It doesn't matter how you do the 2 miles. Walk it all, run it all, run/walk intervals. Just complete the distance at whatever pace is comfortable for you. I'm still doing run/walk intervals, but I am up to 4 miles now! Unbelieveable! I would have never thought I could do that. And the walking intervals get shorter and shorter and shorter each time. But I'm working on distance, not speed.. still a 13 minute mile and I'm ok with that.

Good luck!!
  • Busichic
    Options
    I used marathonrookie.com last year for my 1st marathon. Am using it again right now for a marathon that I am running in May. Best of luck to you, and enjoy that feeling when you cross the finish line!!! :happy:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump....i use jeff galloway's plan for the half but will be looking at this hidgon plan cause i have seen several people mention it recently....i'm doing the disney princess 1/2 feb 26th and started my training in october....denise
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Higdon is the way to go. I've used it for all my halfs and fulls. Its easiy and works. All my running friends use it.
  • Lp80
    Lp80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hal higdon's are the best :)
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    bump
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I send all newbies to Higdon.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I'm pretty much using Higdon's as well. (I'm training with a group and they gave me a plan, but I compared it and it's pretty much the same.) As others noted above, I also started with the ability to run 3 miles easily.

I'm training for my first half-marathon, and it's at the end of January :) I started seriously training about four months out, in September. I should start tapering soon.

As far as what to expect, a major point I should note is that you should do this for reasons OTHER than losing weight. Maybe you want to push your body past its old limits, you want a sense of incredible accomplishment, and so on. But actually, running long distances for the first time, though it's counter-intuitive, will not necessarily make the pounds melt off.

Your leg muscles will be in a near-constant state of breakdown/repair and will retain water. You'll also need to eat enough to fuel really long distances, and your hunger will increase, maybe dramatically at first.

I actually gained a pound my first couple of weeks of hardcore training, and then it came off. Since then, my scale weight has remained pretty steady - BUT, my body recomposition has been pretty amazing (though I also strength train to supplement all the running). My legs look the best they have pretty much ever, and I'm smaller overall despite only having "lost" a few pounds.

Good luck!! I HATED running at first but now I love it. I use it as my natural antidepressant/meditation time!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Higdon's d' bomb!!
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's half marathon training schedule last year for my first ever half and I beat my goal time by 12 minutes.
    This year I used John Stanton's marathon training schedule and beat my goal time for a full marathon by 4 minutes. They were very different programs but they were both effective.
    Here's the link to John Stanton's ...

http://tgrunning.tripod.com/training.htm

I'm currently training for the 30k Around The Bay race in Hamilton, Ontario, in March...
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Well, cool. If I start January, I should be able to run a marathon in exactly 18 weeks, which takes me down to the actual day of my marathon goal in May. Thanks for posting this. Super stoked. :)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've done halves and fulls and lots of other races, and have always trained myself. Not what you were hoping to read, I know.

What's so difficult or confusing about this plan you have? Maybe we can start with that and help you figure it out so it's not so gosh darn difficult for you?