Death of student/Emotional eating

Options
A student of mine died over the weekend and today was horrible! Tomorrow will be worse when the kids find out. I can feel myself already just wanting to stuff my face, who cares and cry. Everyone in the building is upset and I'm really worried about a couple of my other students who are going to take it pretty hard.

Its just going to be awful. Send some good thoughts my way and for all our school's kids/families/teachers. Its going to be a rough week.

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    A student of mine died over the weekend and today was horrible! Tomorrow will be worse when the kids find out. I can feel myself already just wanting to stuff my face, who cares and cry. Everyone in the building is upset and I'm really worried about a couple of my other students who are going to take it pretty hard.

Its just going to be awful. Send some good thoughts my way and for all our school's kids/families/teachers. Its going to be a rough week.
  • mfpme
    mfpme Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear a student of yours died over the weekend. Sending thoughts of strength your way to you, your students, and the family of the deceased. Take good care of yourself. Thanks for reaching out for help.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Prayers & condolences. It is so hard when someone young dies. I hope the school has grief counselors in place to help during this time.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to all of you.
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that.
    I can imagine you feel awful.
    In this time, I think you really owe it to yourself and to your students to be as strong and healthy as you can be. I think that overeating will only add to the emotion and sadness you must feel right now.
    In the mean time, cry, talk, sleep...do whatever you have to do to get through. But most importantly, take care of yourself.
    Best wishes and I'm so sorry.
    -OB
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear this. I am a teacher too and unfortunately know firsthand how devastating it is to lose a student. (((HUGS)))
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    In this time, I think you really owe it to yourself and to your students to be as strong and healthy as you can be. I think that overeating will only add to the emotion and sadness you must feel right now.
    In the mean time, cry, talk, sleep...do whatever you have to do to get through. But most importantly, take care of yourself.

I echo what OB said. Make sure you get some exercise in....it will let out some stress and allow you personal time to reflect. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. If you need support, we're here for you, every one of us in this MFP family! Take care of yourself! JDH
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    How devastating! :( I'm so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for all of you! (((hugs)))
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My mother lost a student in a car crash when I was in high school. As a teacher myself, I can imagine how devastating this is for you.

Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

You might also want to check the teacher support group on this site also. I know there is nothing that can be done to aleviate the pain, but know that you are not alone.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers go out to you and your school in this time of need. Stay strong!

**HUGS**
  • Blossom01
    Blossom01 Posts: 658
    Options
    :cry: lenmana, I am so sorry to hear about this sad news it must be a difficult time for you but hold on. The rest of the students are going to be looking for some one for strength. This will be a challenging time for all of you but please do not give in. You have come this far you can do this:flowerforyou: take it one step at a time. Remember you did not create this unfortunate event so do not punish yourself for it by over eating. If you have a craving try to drink a lot of water and if you need to take a bite but try to keep it under portion control. :wink: My prayers and thought are with you and the families.:flowerforyou:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks all! Feel really bad for the family and just hope that we all make it through the week without going crazy.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    How very tragic. My heart goes out to you, your students, the family, and everyone else close. The death of a child bears the most horrific pain imaginable. I will keep you all in my prayers tonight.

As some others said try to get some exercise in. It will make you feel a little better. Remember (and I know it's hard to at this time) that food NEVER makes bad feelings go away, it only increases them.

Bless you!