A great way to tell if a diary is full of crap

Options
2»

Replies

• olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Actually, fructose doesn't spike one's insulin the way other types of sugar do.

Exactly!
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Fruits yes, fruit juices no. The amount of sugar I may consume via juice is ridiculous at the cost of necessary fiber in my opinion so I try to eat as much as I can, just not drink it.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Some years ago, a woman gave me heck when she saw me eating watermelon. I'm diabetic, and she told me her husband, also a diabetic, had been told not to eat really sweet fruits like melon. So I asked my doctor. He said any fruit, IN MODERATION, is fine. It's like anything else. Overeat anything, and you will gain weight or see your blood glucose spike. I eat 2-3 servings of ruit every day. My glucose readings are excellent and my A1C blood tests (for diabetics) are well within the normal range.

Oh, and so far on MFP, I've lost 8 pounds in a month. I consider that to be pretty good.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Cox, C., Stanhope, K., et al. Consumption of Fructose-Sweetened Beverages for 10 Weeks Reduces Net Fat Oxidation and Energy Expenditure in Overweight/Obese Men and Women. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. September 2011. Published Ahead of Print.

UGH

"Although examples of pure fructose causing metabolicupset at high concentrations abound, especially when fed asthe sole carbohydrate source, there is no evidence that thecommon fructose-glucose sweeteners do the same. Thus, studies using extreme carbohydrate diets may be useful for probing biochemical pathways, but they have no relevance to the human diet or to current consumption"

http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/6/1716S.long
  • Destinie589
    Options
    And my inner-12-year-old just thinks, "If you eat lots of fruits and veggies, you won't be full of crap. High fiber content does a body good!"

agreed!
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't believe there are people who think eating fruit is a bad thing.

Also: it's delicious.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I basically ate only fruit for a week this summer in Europe - lost a bunch of weight, felt awesome, skin loved it. Calories matter more. An apple will fill you up way more than a piece of candy and have way fewer calories.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Body recognizes three things - sugars, protein, and fat. Sugar is sugar no mátter where it comes from fruit, carbs
    or candy.

You're nuts. It's CARBS, protein, and fat. Any type of carb can spike insulin. Tracking sugars separately is ill-conceived and a waste of time.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Cox, C., Stanhope, K., et al. Consumption of Fructose-Sweetened Beverages for 10 Weeks Reduces Net Fat Oxidation and Energy Expenditure in Overweight/Obese Men and Women. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. September 2011. Published Ahead of Print.

UGH

"Although examples of pure fructose causing metabolicupset at high concentrations abound, especially when fed asthe sole carbohydrate source, there is no evidence that thecommon fructose-glucose sweeteners do the same. Thus, studies using extreme carbohydrate diets may be useful for probing biochemical pathways, but they have no relevance to the human diet or to current consumption"

Thanks for the link, Ron. A good point.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Actually, fructose doesn't spike one's insulin the way other types of sugar do.

No, but for some reason it appears to be much worse for insulin sensitivity than normal cane sugar. It's not completely understood yet, but everybody agrees that high fructose corn syrup is awful for you.

This is also not true.

"high" fructose corn syrup is exact 50/50 fructose/sucrose and is absolutely no different than glucose (table sugar)... the reason is it called that is because natural corn syrup is only 30 or so % Fructose.

No one eats the 100% fructose (not even from fruits) in high enough levels to effect their blood sugars. Read the research before you quote it....

I really hate to be a know it all and point this out because it's not super important, but I couldn't resist. For a food scientist you really screwed up your sugars. High fructose corn syrup is a mixture of fructose and GLUCOSE. SUCROSE (which is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose) is table sugar. HFCS is different in the way that there is no bond between the glucose and fructose like there is in table sugar.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

UGH

The point was that they're metabolized differently, which is true. If you want to try and argue that the difference in metabolism is not important, then be my guest. But you'll have to do better then that quote.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Some years ago, a woman gave me heck when she saw me eating watermelon. I'm diabetic, and she told me her husband, also a diabetic, had been told not to eat really sweet fruits like melon. So I asked my doctor. He said any fruit, IN MODERATION, is fine. It's like anything else. Overeat anything, and you will gain weight or see your blood glucose spike. I eat 2-3 servings of ruit every day. My glucose readings are excellent and my A1C blood tests (for diabetics) are well within the normal range.

Oh, and so far on MFP, I've lost 8 pounds in a month. I consider that to be pretty good.

^^This. Moderation is key.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat fresh fruit every day.. mostly a cup of berries .. i will add and apple,orange or banana for a snack when i am on the road because it is easier to pack up and eat on the run..fresh fruit is good for you and dont let anyone tell you different. ive lost 80lbs where fresh fruit has been included in my diet so it cant be all that bad
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat fresh fruit every day.. mostly a cup of berries .. i will add and apple,orange or banana for a snack when i am on the road because it is easier to pack up and eat on the run..fresh fruit is good for you and dont let anyone tell you different. ive lost 80lbs where fresh fruit has been included in my diet so it cant be all that bad
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that no one ever got fat because they ate too many fruits and veggies! :laugh: