My first "diet" to be my lifestyle change

Options
MY GOAL IS TO CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE for good, NOT to DIET! BEFORE I had my children I worked out regularly and did both cardio and weight training. I also ran 5-7 miles at a time, 2-3 days per week for endurance purposes. At that time I had 8% body fat and some mean calves on me. Soon I turn 36, I have 24 pounds to get to my preferred weight. I am far from toned, and I don't like to feel my belly or "back fat" jiggle when I walk! My metabolism has most certainly slowed. I have a 3 and 6 year old and can't seem to shake this weight I've gained. Stress these days is a HUGE factor (as it probably is for everyone else out there, too?) Since I've never had to diet a day in my life, could always eat what I wanted and not bother to care about the nutritional or caloric value, I am finding this change difficult. I have to think about EVERYTHING that is going in my mouth. I've found myself hesitating with food halfway to my mouth thinking: Do I really need, or want this really? Sometimes I think I want food more now, just because certain foods are "forbidden." I have found the rule "If you have to have it, just take a bite to satisfy the craving, then move on" to be more harmful than helpful as I have NO WILLPOWER at this time! My husband is losing weight, too, and we've made a wager with each other and another friend of ours to lose aprox. 15% of our weight in 4 months. This is around 20-25# for me. It is only safe to lose 2#/week I know, so it CAN be done, but how to be consistent when I hit the "plateau?" I have stepped up my exercise regime some, by including fast walking and slow jogging (bad feet and knees, but I do it anyway), and mild yoga. But as a nurse on 12 hour shifts, on my feet all day, I can say that on those days I don't do much more that come home to a shower, put the kids and myself to bed. My eating schedule is hard with those 12 hours shifts as I seem to eat too late in the PM due to no breaks at work towards the end of the day (too busy). I've heard people say to try little silly things to add activity at odd moments, like: A large can of soup in your hand (to do exercises for your triceps over your head) while you help the kids with homework or during TV commercials (as if I had time to watch TV!) and to wear ankle weights at work (Whew!) What other "little" things can you think of to do during other daily required activities? Any help is appreciated!

208784.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• Jeepluvr99
    Jeepluvr99 Posts: 12
    Options
    MY GOAL IS TO CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE for good, NOT to DIET! BEFORE I had my children I worked out regularly and did both cardio and weight training. I also ran 5-7 miles at a time, 2-3 days per week for endurance purposes. At that time I had 8% body fat and some mean calves on me. Soon I turn 36, I have 24 pounds to get to my preferred weight. I am far from toned, and I don't like to feel my belly or "back fat" jiggle when I walk! My metabolism has most certainly slowed. I have a 3 and 6 year old and can't seem to shake this weight I've gained. Stress these days is a HUGE factor (as it probably is for everyone else out there, too?) Since I've never had to diet a day in my life, could always eat what I wanted and not bother to care about the nutritional or caloric value, I am finding this change difficult. I have to think about EVERYTHING that is going in my mouth. I've found myself hesitating with food halfway to my mouth thinking: Do I really need, or want this really? Sometimes I think I want food more now, just because certain foods are "forbidden." I have found the rule "If you have to have it, just take a bite to satisfy the craving, then move on" to be more harmful than helpful as I have NO WILLPOWER at this time! My husband is losing weight, too, and we've made a wager with each other and another friend of ours to lose aprox. 15% of our weight in 4 months. This is around 20-25# for me. It is only safe to lose 2#/week I know, so it CAN be done, but how to be consistent when I hit the "plateau?" I have stepped up my exercise regime some, by including fast walking and slow jogging (bad feet and knees, but I do it anyway), and mild yoga. But as a nurse on 12 hour shifts, on my feet all day, I can say that on those days I don't do much more that come home to a shower, put the kids and myself to bed. My eating schedule is hard with those 12 hours shifts as I seem to eat too late in the PM due to no breaks at work towards the end of the day (too busy). I've heard people say to try little silly things to add activity at odd moments, like: A large can of soup in your hand (to do exercises for your triceps over your head) while you help the kids with homework or during TV commercials (as if I had time to watch TV!) and to wear ankle weights at work (Whew!) What other "little" things can you think of to do during other daily required activities? Any help is appreciated!

208784.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!

Just make sure you're eating ENOUGH, because you're on your feet all day. Don't drop your calories too low or you most definitely won't have the energy to work, let alone exercise too. :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    If you have a heart rate monitor it would be a good idea to see exactly how many calories you burn at work each day. I bet they are a lot more than you think! Logging your food intake would be a good idea too ...you might not be eating enough and your body could be in starvation mode. Read this post here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

There's some really good information that will either open your eyes or make you remember things that you've forgotten.

Good luck to you! I enjoyed reading your post (though splitting them up in paragraphs would make it much easier to read :wink: ).
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone here is nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: