colon cleanse/detox

Options
Has anyone tried this? I really feel it would benifit me health wise. TMI but, I am very irregular.
I wanna know what people have tried and how it worked out for them, Im not doing this as a quick fix, im doing it for my overall health.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you might want to search the topics. There are hundreds of threads on this topic. good luck
  • dolphin8075
    Options
    I actually am someone that would only go like every two days & I hated it. Feeling bloated && would become cranky. Plus when u are trying to watch your weight I knew that this was affected me. So, I went to Wal-Mart & bought a $10.00 of an herbal colon cleanse...it has helped be regular going on a daily basis and I am actually seeing the scale move down again. Good Luck!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific evidence that that sort of thing is necessary, or even beneficial. Your body cleanses itself naturally. Interfering with that process by filling your body with "natural" laxatives, etc. may actually even be harmful, especially if you do it often.

I used to be very very irregular. I fixed the problem by consistently eating more fiber, drinking plenty of water, and making sure I consistently get enough fat in my diet. For me, I think becoming vegetarian helped a lot, but I know of no evidence that this is generally a solution to irregularity. Giving up caffeine, and going when you feel you need to go, instead of holding it are also useful.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    FWIW, I also had issues of only going a couple times a week and tried those herbal remedies, taking cascara sagrada and what not. They worked initially, but didn't totally resolve the problem.
    I ultimately went to my physician for advice and was referred to a gastroenterologist who did a colonoscopy. I was watching the monitor while he was doing it, and asking questions (friends who've had it done have said they were out and can't believe I was awake and watching this....). As a science fan, it was interesting to me, and not at all gross. I saw little spots, like freckles along the wall of my intestines (again, it wasn't gross, it was just a light going through a flesh colored "tunnel") and I asked what those were. The doctor told me those aren't natural and that they're from the herbals I was using to try to cleanse my system. While they will flush you out, they aren't good for you.
    Like the other person posted, he told me to make sure I get enough fiber and water and let the body do it's job.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I also had issues of only going a couple times a week and tried those herbal remedies, taking cascara sagrada and what not. They worked initially, but didn't totally resolve the problem.
    I ultimately went to my physician for advice and was referred to a gastroenterologist who did a colonoscopy. I was watching the monitor while he was doing it, and asking questions (friends who've had it done have said they were out and can't believe I was awake and watching this....). As a science fan, it was interesting to me, and not at all gross. I saw little spots, like freckles along the wall of my intestines (again, it wasn't gross, it was just a light going through a flesh colored "tunnel") and I asked what those were. The doctor told me those aren't natural and that they're from the herbals I was using to try to cleanse my system. While they will flush you out, they aren't good for you.
    Like the other person posted, he told me to make sure I get enough fiber and water and let the body do it's job.

You should post that on YouTube.
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    I've been a huge evangelist for fiber ever since I had an attack of diverticulitis way back in about 2004. Getting enough fiber will make you regular and also (TMI warning) it will improve the overall quality of the bathroom experience for you. It will be a more comfortable moment. Aim to get at least 20 g fiber per day. You can track it here on MFP if you tinker with your settings. I used to get my fiber from whole-grain bread and things like Fiber1 bars, but as I've slowly improved my diet overall, I now get my fiber from vegetables and fruits. It's not hard once you spend a little energy to focus on it. Also as another poster mentioned above, make sure you're getting some fat in your diet.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is take soluble fiber. (metamucil or other source of psyllium husk) But start slow, or you will get gas. It helps alot of things, and isn't really a 'cleanse', just a good kind of fiber. insoluble fiber (whole wheat, etc) is great, but will stop you up if you don't drink enough. canned legumes like pinto beans, or oats are great source of soluble fiber as well.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options

You should post that on YouTube.
    Totally wish I had it :)