so ... caffeine ...

Options
I'm just getting into getting into a better me. And I know one of the big things I've got to get under control is the soda. And I'm working on that ...

But my question is, while I work to get that out of my daily intake, can I get my caffeine to prevent headaches from iced tea and coffee? how good/bad are either or both of those?

Thanks for any help and apologies for what I recognize are probably going to be a series of dumb questions.

Replies

• RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is my favorite. In moderation it is not bad for you and can give you energy and help dilate blood vessels to help you work out.

Here is my quick list of caffeine sources without a lot of calories:

Black coffee
    Tea: Green or Black
    Crystal Light Metabolism (It is green tea with peach/mango flavor) 10 calories a serving.
    Jolt Gum - Two pieces are 10 calories and have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee
    Monster Low Carb - "Energy drinks will kill you" blah blah blah. Moderation! This has 30 calories for a huge can
    Vivarin - Caffeine pills. These upset my stomach

Hope that helps.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Exederin.
    Has caffeine and will help with the headaches.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee every day with whole milk (I hate skim) and no sugar. Coffee has very little calories, it's all the additives (sugar, cream, whipped cream, chocolate, flavor shots) that are bad. I love coffee and don't feel that drinking it daily is hurting my weight loss any.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    That's good. I do love coffee as well. Course, I like it with creamer ... so I might have to find an alternative to that.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have a "latte". One and a half cups unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk, stevia, and a tsp instant coffee. Gives me a nice boost of energy for my workouts for 60 calories.

Quitting caffeine is hard. I was a serious addict earlier this year, to the point when I would panic at the thought of not having my morning coffee (and afternoon coffee). I quit cold turkey and felt so much better. Good luck to you, quitting soda is a wonderful thing to do for yourself!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that something in black tea is supposed to be good for you. Green tea is also good for you. Tea is probably the best choice of caffeine besides coffee because there aren't any crazy chemicals or preservatives in it. I drink hot tea almost everyday now.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I recently went through some issues with eating too many acidic foods, and the doc said I could have as much green tea as I wanted while I cut back on coffee and pop. It seemed to ease the withdrawal symptoms very well, and it did not cause any upset stomach.

Some brands of green tea are better than others though. I find that when I get Lipton Green Tea with Mixed Berry flavor, it is awesome just the way it is. However, when I get the generic of the same thing, it is more bitter and I end up putting sugar in it.
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I used to work for starbucks; I was OBSESSED with coffee! the sweet ones. the artificial creamer. It took over a month to wean myself off and be ok with green tea. But I finally did, and I'm probably saving myself over 400 calories a day! I know coffee by itself has 0 calories, but I just won't drink it like that. :happy:
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    That's good. I do love coffee as well. Course, I like it with creamer ... so I might have to find an alternative to that.

I like sugar free coffee creamer. I buy the Sugar free Fench Vanilla, has 30 calories. Also, if I don't have this, I use truvia in my coffee, and a dash of skim milk.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wished I could help on this one... I still have my Coke Cola a day.... Ain't great for u, but hey there is worse things then my soda.. :laugh:
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like to have green tea and coffee. To keep things in check I use stevia to sweeten (if necessary), and I use a small amount of half and half with the coffee (unless I have it black).

If anything, caffeine helps you lose weight!
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Wished I could help on this one... I still have my Coke Cola a day.... Ain't great for u, but hey there is worse things then my soda.. :laugh:

yeah ... I just know that's one thing I can really do to help, ya know? though, right now, I have a mtn dew on my desk. but it's the first non-diet I've had in at least a week, so I feel OK about it.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I basically went cold turkey, other than an occasional hot tea. I can't drink a lot of tea because the tannic acid triggers my migraines, and coffee burns a hole in my stomach. I took excederin for a few days.

I still allow myself the occasional Coke if I go out to eat (barely). I don't buy it at the grocery store anymore, though.
  • kyliegroat
    Options
    I'm a caffeine addict. Hardcore. Ask anyone. Three cups of coffee a day, at least.
    I'm working on killing a cold right now, so I've been drinking tea like crazy & actually haven't had a cup of coffee for three days now. I love my coffee - it's just a really integral part of my morning - but I'm working on cutting back to two cups. (Besides - caffeine boosts your metabolism - until you have too much - & sugars in moderation are good for you. A couple of tablespoons a day in my coffees shouldn't be that bad.)
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of coffee - unless it is a seriously nice syprup shotted mocha :D
    However, I love Diet Coke (I rarely or never drink normal coke.) I know I should be drinking more water than I am, and it is something I'm trying to do. How bad is Diet Coke as far as weight loss goes?
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I don't know enough about counting yet to tell you for certain. but I do know it doesn't hit you with calories, at the least. but those artificial sweeteners aren't great to put in your body, either.