Back problems

Options
:bigsmile: Good morning Fitness Pal Friends- Does anyone suffer from Back problems along with me? I have arthritis in my spine and also a recurring injury on the right side of my back that wraps to the front side of my ribs. It's been TWO years off and on that I have this pain and sometimes it's really bad. I am a runner- 3-4 times per week 3 miles only and I also walk. I recently started to do some Pilates and that I believe, has made my back worse. It will come and go at random. Does anyone suffer from this and what do you do to make it better? What kinds of exercise, supplements, etc have you found to be helpful. I would like to lose about 8 lbs and am in fairly good shape but any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am too young to toss and turn all night with back pain! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• horstboys5
    horstboys5 Posts: 36
    Options
    :bigsmile: Good morning Fitness Pal Friends- Does anyone suffer from Back problems along with me? I have arthritis in my spine and also a recurring injury on the right side of my back that wraps to the front side of my ribs. It's been TWO years off and on that I have this pain and sometimes it's really bad. I am a runner- 3-4 times per week 3 miles only and I also walk. I recently started to do some Pilates and that I believe, has made my back worse. It will come and go at random. Does anyone suffer from this and what do you do to make it better? What kinds of exercise, supplements, etc have you found to be helpful. I would like to lose about 8 lbs and am in fairly good shape but any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am too young to toss and turn all night with back pain! Thanks in advance!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Hello - I was in a car accident and have had a bad back ever since. I actually found pilates really helps, but there are lots of differing back injuries, so I'd ask your doctor or physio for advice! One thing with the pilates is that I really struggle with the harder moves, so a very simple begginers class works best for me!

Erika
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had a pinch nerve in my back for a while and I went to a physical therapist who gave me some exercises. Pilates will probably be great after you work up to it but it can be a bit intense if you are not used to it.
  • soggysox
    soggysox Posts: 18
    Options
    I struggle with sacroilac joint dysfunction (like very low back pain) and its a complete pain when it comes to excercise. Pilates is ok depending on the movements...i only do the easy ones. But I find walking and swimming are the easiest.
    kate