Side dishes for Ham

Options
raindancer
raindancer Posts: 993 Member
I am having Ham for Christmas and except sweet potatoes I am lost for sides. I am tired of the same old stuff. Any ideas?

Replies

• Strobins05
    Options
    Wild rice
    steamed green beans
    roasted veggies
    veggie casserole
    red potato salad
    deviled eggs
    :flowerforyou: Merry Christmas
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Roasted root veggies: Carrots, parsnips, beets all sliced thin ....drizzle with oil and balsamic and roast at 400 for about 15 minutes

Green beans cooked with chopped bacon, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts

Swiss chard

White beans with kale and sausage

Wild mushroom dressing (bread mushrooms mirepoix and broth)

We always make a big pot of collard greens with the ham bone, but they aren't for everyone.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Roasted root veggies: Carrots, parsnips, beets all sliced thin ....drizzle with oil and balsamic and roast at 400 for about 15 minutes

Green beans cooked with chopped bacon, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts

Swiss chard

White beans with kale and sausage

Wild mushroom dressing (bread mushrooms mirepoix and broth)

We always make a big pot of collard greens with the ham bone, but they aren't for everyone.

i love roasted anything! didn't know i liked beets til i was an adult, my mom never made them. i put them in my garden so i could try them and i love them roasted and also treat the tops like any other green...slightly sweeter
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    :flwerforyou: Saute,or Salad

Fennel,onion,zucchinni,
    can add sliced clementines,
    Garnish; sessame seeds & fennel frons
    :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • HungryMom
    Options
    I served baked pineapple with our ham last weekend, and it was a hit. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Scalloped potatoes.
  • busymom11
    Options
    Baked macaroni and cheese. Definitely not low cal, but so good!!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    roasted asaparagus
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

i love roasted anything! didn't know i liked beets til i was an adult, my mom never made them. i put them in my garden so i could try them and i love them roasted and also treat the tops like any other green...slightly sweeter
    [/quote]

I love roasted everything too! I always let mine char a bit on the edges. mmmmmmm
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I, too, am serving ham. My side dishes are red potato salad, cut green beans, and whole wheat pasta salad (my husband's request). I'm not making sweet potatoes this year.
  • Wilma0706
    Options
    collard greens, baby! and some mac and cheese.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. I don't know if it actually "goes" with ham, but I could eat asparagus at every meal, every day.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Veggies of course. 2 % Velvetta Mac and cheese is 160 cal for a serving. My family makes low fat cheesy potatoes (I can't find the recipe but this is close: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheesy-hashbrown-potatoes-00420000007056/) that's pretty close to the recipe just substitute the following:
    fat free or 2% cheese for the regular cheese
    skim milk for 1/2 and 1/2
    light butter (we use Land O Lakes Light Canola-taste just like butter) for the butter

The recipe we had also called to be topped with corn flakes or Frosted Flakes- we use the reduced sugar Frosted Flakes and there was no bacon in them.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Waldorf Salad? Heavenly Rice? I like the roasted veggie idea. Cesar Salad? Had that at the Christmas Party today....So good.