Fasts/Clenses/Detoxing

Options
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on fasts such as the Master Clense and those kind of detoxes. What do you think about them?

Part of me would love to try a fast like a water fast, or something like that, but a little voice tells me that's not a good idea. Just curious for opinions :)

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Listen to your little voice. It sounds smart.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Mmhmm. Yep.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on fasts such as the Master Clense and those kind of detoxes. What do you think about them?

Part of me would love to try a fast like a water fast, or something like that, but a little voice tells me that's not a good idea. Just curious for opinions :)

What do you think you gain from this? if you want to clean out your system eat an assload of fiber....that'll "clean you out"
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    search the topics...lots of little and lots of very big voices debate this topic
  • Destinie589
    Options
    Have you seen Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead? I would really love to try the juice fast.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bump because I have had several problems with my stomache I have thought about doing something like this also so I would love to hear the answers too
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead? I would really love to try the juice fast.

I loved that Documentary, and got a juicer soon after as an early Christmas present. I feel a lot better when I've been drinking juices. Need to transition from all fruit to fruit/veggie hybrids, though.
  • skinnymits
    Options
    I'm actually doing it today for the first time, just a water fast but allowing myself a cup of tea and a sugar free energy drink too. This morning was hard but as the evenings got on I actually feel good not hungry at all. Main reason I decided to do it is because I've been out for two nights in a row and I can feel my bodies suffered and bloated from it. Its my little way of saying sorry and preparing for christmas.

Then tomorrow I'm back on my normal healthy eating before the big day where i'll eat everything again :)
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What are you trying get out?
  • victoria1957
    victoria1957 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    before you undertake anything like that please see your doc for a check up and have your labs done. That is super important so that you have a base line. I think fasts can be dangerous if taken to extreme. So be careful. Good luck!
  • victoria1957
    Options
    oops did not mean to post it twice!
  • victoria1957
    Options
    I have been juicing for 6 months. But, just for breakfast now.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I saw a girl at my old job try the pepper, lemon water and someothersh*t cleanse and she passed out and busted her head open on a table. I told her not to do it cause it lacks nutrients to keep you functioning, she did it anyways, passed out and busted her *kitten* on the lunchroom table. I laughed.

She was angry at me for 3 months cause I was right....haha
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    before you undertake anything like that please see your doc for a check up and have your labs done. That is super important so that you have a base line. I think fasts can be dangerous if taken to extreme. So be careful. Good luck!

This is your best advice. Many cultures swear about fasting and there is a lot of literature that supports fasting and not fasting. None the less, the cultures that do fast, start in childhood, so it may not be such a jolt to the system as someone with a north american diet trying it...

Good luck if you do try it, and let us know your experiences
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary or even necessarily beneficial for your health (there is some evidence fasting for short periods of time might be beneficial, but my impression is that the reputable research is still pretty preliminary). Fasting and cleanses won't help you lose weight long-term. If you want to do it for religious or spiritual reasons, i'd say talk to your doctor.

As an aside, that's a beautiful Grey.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Waste of time in the presence of a liver and kidneys.

And if you're going to clear yourself out I'd recommend Chipotle. May as well enjoy that *kitten* son.
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    As an aside, that's a beautiful Grey.

hehe, thank you :)
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I found that fasting; cleasing; over the weekend when I'm not expected to work, I can just relax; after a weekend of fasting, my skin has cleared up dramatically. it really helps to clean up spots & blemishes. if you're trying to loose weight on a fasting; -- cleanse diet, you'll loose the weight; but once you hit your goal weight or more so a normal body weight, you won't loose weight. but it's hard to fast whilst at work and expected to perform. I wouldn't recomend fasting at work.
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I saw the fat, sick, and nearly dead documentary too. I haven't tried to fast, but I definitely am getting more than all my veggies since I started juicing them! I have one of those ninja blenders, so I have to add water and strain the juice myself, but I have noticed a big difference in energy level. I blend kale, spinach, celery, carrots, green apple, lemon, cucmber, and tomato. No recipe or anything, I just throw it all in and make a big batch, and try to drink at least 2 big glasses a day. It's filling enough that I'm not looking for snacks and it's not bad! I would never eat half those veggies otherwise...

I don't know if i could do it as a cleanse, though. I have small kids and I think it would make me too grumpy!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Little voices know so much.