Sometimes the universe conspires

Options
Four months ago I was doing awesome. Great fitness routines, great shape, eating well, trimmed down, etc. Then, old familiar habits crept back in. Focusing too much on work, ignoring exercise to boost endorphins, blaming injuries for reducing activity levels, craving extra and then even more extra evenings snacks, larger meals, etc. and before I knew (or really before I cared to acknowledge it) I had managed to gain almost 40 pounds back (yes, folks it is indeed possible to gain 40 pounds in 4 months..sigh). And then somethings happened in the span of three days, telling me that the universe is looking out for me if only I am smart enough to read the signs (and no, I am not talking about divine inspiration).
-Sign 1: Driving to work, radio on and a sports doctor is being interviewed, all about the numerous benefits of even 30 min of slightly elevated heart rates 30 min a day, how it assists in injury prevention, in mood enhancing, in reduced risk of dementia, fractures, etc.This served to remind myself why I exercised in the first place.
- Sign 2:I have a treadmill with a broken belt, been like that for months, been meaning to call the repair folks but never did, that I can home two days ago and my sweetie (awesome wife that she is) told me the called the repair lad, coming by in a week to fix it. This while she herself never uses the machine.
-Sign 3. No snow yet, the weather has been above normal, sidewalks are clear of snow and ice, perfect for walking and even jogging still, even bike riding is still an option. Clearly I am meant to be out there.
-Sign 4. One of the gifts I got from my students was a lovely water bottle, obviously meant to encourage me to have a reason to use it. Exercise will do this.
-Sign 5: Got an email from Warrior dash folks, informing me that registrations are now open for next years event in July. Ah yes, it reminded me of my glory days when I was running it this summer at a mere 49 years of age and feeling mighty proud. Maybe I can feel this way again.
-Sign 6. My one and only pair of jeans can just barely still be buttoned up(must do some sucking in of the gut and I refuse to go buy another, larger pair.
-And lastly, Sign 7. Some of my most amazing, wonderful mpals here have continued to sent me messages of support (esp the awesome Stacey) in spite of the fact that I have been in a long hiatus, with out any posting or logging for a long time. YOu so inspire me.
With all those signs, I simply knew that enough was enough.
So first thing this morning, I threw away all the left over chocolate and cookies my students had given me, strapped on the jogging shoes, went for a great walk and jog and now feel great. Life is good. Be well everyone. Now go look for your own signs!!!

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The Universe has conspired for me to read your post!!!! THANK YOU, (And thank you, Universe)!!!! I will be back in the gym this afternoon and will clean out my kitchen!!!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! You got this! Its going to be a new year and I cant think of a better time to resume your journey!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    so easy to go back to the way it was, thanks for the reminder.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Earl,
    I am so happy you are back! You rock! This post is proof positive, you have come back with a grounding message, one that resonates deep in my heart. I have been uber busy with our school (now done for a bit), preparing for our big move, and the holidays that I have let my exercise go - both physical fitness and it food choices. I have been doing some major slacking the last 2 weeks. And here you come! Back to MFP, with a workout, and a wonderful message. Thank you Earl! This is a true gift this morning.

We all have to find balance - for me the all or nothing doesn't apply to this part of my life. I have learned to be forgvining when I misstep and honor the things I do get done. That encourages me. I also try to ensure I am enjoying my workouts even if they are super hard.. I stay away from boring activity because I know I will lose interest. I miss those days and I look forward to getting them back! I am looking to start strong January 1st, however, I do plan to clean things up as of today! Thank you for this inspiration Earl.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Life is indeed Good.

Stacey
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Love your post Welcome back! good thing you did not buy new clothers you wont need them now that your re-motivated
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I kept you on my list because you're THAT awesome. Welcome back, Earl. Now go git some!
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It must be the season... I gain 5 lbs and feel weak. I feel like I lost muscle and gained a muffin top. I went through the OMG moment too this month. Glad you are back.