Gluten-free vegetarian Christmas?

So I have Celiac's disease and I'm vegetarian (I'm also allergic to soy). I have to make my own dinner for Christmas and all the family Christmas parties I'll be going to. However, I have no idea what to make! I'm still fairly new to the whole gluten free thing, but I know there are tons of gluten-free alternatives to everything, but they're really expensive and I'm on a tight budget.

Does anyone have any recipes or links to anything that would be helpful to me! It would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance. <3

Replies

• HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Make a wild rice stuffing. Use nuts and fruit in it.

My Man's Belly (a blog) has a killer recipe for a cauliflower tabbuleh with pomegranate seeds that is amazing.

Mashed potatoes.

Crustless quiche.
  • Thank you for the suggestions! Those sound interesting, I'll have to check them out.

I was thinking about just making a stir fry, but that's pretty much all I eat normally. And I've done stuffed peppers with brown rice and veggies for every past holiday with my family.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    I love the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog. She has a lot of gluten free recipes on there. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/gluten-free
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    My mother-in-law is making a ham (for whoever wants it) and I am making all of the sides (baked and sweet potatoes, steamed carrots, steamed brocoli, asparagus tossed in a little olive oil and salt/pepper). I have butter for those who want it on their potatoes, but it is vegan and gluten free and soy free. All of these items are fresh, not frozen or canned and completely vegan, gluten free and soy free.
    I will also have a shrimp cocktail as an appetizer.
    I am not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat. I also have liver disease so I can't digest anything with lactose in it. I do not have celiac disease but I have problems digesting a lot of foods.
    Have a Happy, Vegetarian Christmas. :)
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    i love this post!

i am not glute-free, but i am a vegetarian! i had my first experience cooking vegetarian for my family this holiday!

i hope you get a lot of easy and yummy recipes as feedback, im excited to see them myself. my suggestion may take a little work on the flour substitution, but if you take the time i promise youll like it!

this is thanks to the chubby vegetarian (i know doesnt seem to fit well with MFP HAHA) i would just substitue your favorite gluten-free pie crust with the one listed. i also personally substitue soy milk and soy butter when i make it. and you could use the same gluten-free flour in the pie crust that you will need as the thickening agent!

s32d1g.jpg

http://chubbyvegetarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/unreal-chicken-pot-pie.html
  • @gingerb85: I totally forgot about fatfreevegan! I used to look at her site a lot a while back but I guess I just forgot it existed. Thank you for reminding me!
    @dirtbikegirl5: I realize I could make a lot cooked vegetables and call it a meal, but I'd like something more balanced. Protein, maybe some grains with the veggies as well. But thank you for your input.
    @shannonewalla: That pot pie looks delish, however I'd have to find something to substitute the fake meat with as well. If I recall correctly most fake meats contain gluten and soy. :/ May try subbing beans for it though, I'll definitely try to experiment with it. Regardless, thank you for the recipe.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Beans are a great subsitute for meat and if you go to a natural food store there are so many kinds of beans besides just chili and white. So you could go for something special instead of run of the mill. Gluten free crusts are pretty easy, have you checked out the blog for Gluten free Goddess, she rocks.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Steamed veggies.....all veggies and fruits are gluten free....snickers are gluten free!!! LOL.....there are a lot of products at Walmart now that are gluten free...there's a whole gluten free section...at our Walmart its by the oatmeal and granola, I think.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I have been veg for 18 years and gluten-free for 3 or 4. Also dairy-free. This year I am completely grain-free - no rice or corn either.

We'll be having mashed potatoes, gravy, cooked peas and carrots (nothing fancy there), stuffing made with my grain-free buns, quinoa, and buckwheat kernels, buns (buckwheat and tapioca), and sweet potatoes. Pumpkin Pie for dessert. Pretty traditional. Sometimes we like to do a stuffed squash instead of just plain stuffing. There are nut loafs or bean burgers if you want some sort of "faux meat" side.

I've been making various kinds of salads and soups this week to keep the calories down for the rest of the holidays. Quinoa salad, sweet potato and black bean soup, buckwheat tabouleh, chili, tomato and avocado salad, a warm potato salad with honey mustard sauce, basic green salad. Tomorrow we are out to my brother's acreage and will have soups and salads, buns, and desserts. I'll take some of the soups and salads I've been working on this week, and also some gingerbread cookies. My mom has made some special baking for junior, who can have grains, and she is also making a delicious-sounding simple dessert - banana chunks dipped in orange juice and rolled in coconut.

Tomorrow we'll be starting the day with cinnamon buns (not something we have for breakfast the rest of the year!) Evening meal will be leftovers from dinner or salads.

Pam
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    i totally didnt even realize it called for fake meat, because i use it without and have the recipie down pat LOL we are not fake meat likers ourselves, i never would have realized substitues have gluten though, good to know!
  • Eileen5
    Eileen5 Posts: 1 Member
    I love http://www.yumuniverse.com! I finished making the vegetable lasagna yesterday - it took a lot of prep time shopping and in the kitchen since I am a novice to this gluten free - dairy free life (2 months now). But I must say it is absolutely delicious, I can't wait to get others to taste it to see if they agree! I didn't use all organic vegetables like they recommend (way to pricey for my budget), but I did go to the health food store for the strange items I had never heard of for the Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese (e.g., raw tahini, agar flakes, nutritional yeast). It was worth the time!

Happy Holidays.
  • Bob's Red Mill Veggi Soup Mix is outstanding.
  • Well, it looks like I'll be baking a lot of gluten free goodies for today, tomorrow, and monday. Cream filled chocolate cupcakes, chocolate whoopie pies, apple spice muffins. And I'll be making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.

But so far for the holiday party at a family members house I will probably be having a small salad, and broccoli and cauliflower with a fake cheese sauce recipe I found. Not sure what else I should add to that, my grandmother is supposed to be making a sweet potato casserole without marshmallows for me, but I have no idea if I'll be able to eat it or not because she didn't tell me what ingredients she was going to use. probably a lot of butter (my stomach does not digest fats very well at all. makes me feel very sick).

I'm going to check out that veggie lasagna and see if I have everything to make that because I sounds like it would be yummy.

Thank you everyone for the help it is greatly appreciated!
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you for someone else being out there who is gluten free and vegetarian! I was thinking I was the only one haha!

It's tough...if you have the store "Ocean State Job Lot" (mostly found in CT/MA/RI I think) I got a 5 pound bag of gluten free pasta for only $4.99!

It's really hard to be both gluten free AND vegetarian, though I do eat some fish and minimal dairy but I've found it has helped me get over the peak I needed to start losing weight as well as really take into consideration everything I was eating. And I tend to lose weight or maintain over the holidays instead of gaining which is really fortunate.

Good luck to those of you in the same boat! Feel free to add me as a friend for further support! :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

There are a couple of yahoogroups that are vegetarian and gluten free: vegan-and-gluten-free and gf-vegetarian. Plenty in people in both that are soy-free or corn-free as well.

Once you've been doing it for a while, it really isn't too hard. Even completely grain-free is doable. We have several other allergies to contend with as well. People tend to eat the same ten recipes over and over again, so once you've got a handful of foods that work well for you, you're pretty much set. One good bread/bun recipe, and you can use it for pizza crusts and in various other formats as well. A good muffin, and you can swap around the fruits and spices and flavours. Fruits and veggies eaten out of hand or cooked in varying ways, with a side dish of potato or quinoa. A pancake/waffle/crepe recipe for special breakfasts or brunches. Lots of different kinds of noodles available. Add in a couple of bean dishes you like - baked beans, chili, curry, etc. Learn how to use up leftovers in any of the foregoing ways or in soups/stews/casseroles. Once you get the basics down, there are infinite possibilities.

Pam

Thank you for someone else being out there who is gluten free and vegetarian! I was thinking I was the only one haha!

It's tough...if you have the store "Ocean State Job Lot" (mostly found in CT/MA/RI I think) I got a 5 pound bag of gluten free pasta for only $4.99!

It's really hard to be both gluten free AND vegetarian, though I do eat some fish and minimal dairy but I've found it has helped me get over the peak I needed to start losing weight as well as really take into consideration everything I was eating. And I tend to lose weight or maintain over the holidays instead of gaining which is really fortunate.

Good luck to those of you in the same boat! Feel free to add me as a friend for further support! :)
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

There are a couple of yahoogroups that are vegetarian and gluten free: vegan-and-gluten-free and gf-vegetarian. Plenty in people in both that are soy-free or corn-free as well.

Once you've been doing it for a while, it really isn't too hard. Even completely grain-free is doable. We have several other allergies to contend with as well. People tend to eat the same ten recipes over and over again, so once you've got a handful of foods that work well for you, you're pretty much set. One good bread/bun recipe, and you can use it for pizza crusts and in various other formats as well. A good muffin, and you can swap around the fruits and spices and flavours. Fruits and veggies eaten out of hand or cooked in varying ways, with a side dish of potato or quinoa. A pancake/waffle/crepe recipe for special breakfasts or brunches. Lots of different kinds of noodles available. Add in a couple of bean dishes you like - baked beans, chili, curry, etc. Learn how to use up leftovers in any of the foregoing ways or in soups/stews/casseroles. Once you get the basics down, there are infinite possibilities.

Pam

Thanks so much, I've found alot of variety with rice, vegetables and I'm eating more fruits than normal which is great (esp in the winter). I appreciate the support too!