Question for all of you runners --

Options
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I started the Couch to 5K program and I have been having some problems with my ankles and knees. I've noticed some pains in the area right below my knee caps as well as in the outsides of my ankles.

I'm a 22 year old woman and think that I'm in decent shape. I don't know if I run wrong or if there are some tricks or techniques that I could use to get rid of these pains. It's really frustrating b/c I think that running is helping me lose some weight, but this pain is starting to get in the way a little bit.

Replies

• ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    About 3 or 4 weeks ago I started the Couch to 5K program and I have been having some problems with my ankles and knees. I've noticed some pains in the area right below my knee caps as well as in the outsides of my ankles.

I'm a 22 year old woman and think that I'm in decent shape. I don't know if I run wrong or if there are some tricks or techniques that I could use to get rid of these pains. It's really frustrating b/c I think that running is helping me lose some weight, but this pain is starting to get in the way a little bit.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well, that could be a lot of things...you could go to a physiotherapist for an analysis...a few questions though...How many miles have you logged on your shoes...were those miles logges in cold weather (shoes don't last as long in cold)... Does the pain subside once you start running and get warmed up..or does it get worse the more you run? If it is the latter, I would definitely get it checked out by a physio...or an ortho-type doc...your family doc might not be the best choice to diagnose.
    Cheers,
    A
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You could also try running a bit...then stretching before you carry on with your run...make sure to use ice on the areas that are feeling painful.
  • horstboys5
    horstboys5 Posts: 36
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well- I've been running for over a year and I still get aches and pains when I run- but I am 40 :-) I don't know if that's normal for someone as young as you are. First of all go to a running store and get fitted for sneakers. That makes a huge difference. You may pay an extra 30 dollars for what they suggest but it will save you in the long run. Also, only run for about 6 months in your shoes. You could be overtraining too- perhaps you are not warming up the knees and ankles enough either. Start with a walk and then a jog and see if that helps...sometimes walking and then running about 7-10 minutes then walking 3 minutes and starting up again will help make sure you're warmed up but not overdoing it. Motrin may help too...HTH, Gina
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill? The grass? or pavement/roads?
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    It could be your shoes that are the problem. The right pair of kicks can make all the difference in the world. Do you have a Fleet Feet anywhere near you? They are trained to fit you for running shoes. They even have a camera attached to the treadmill to watch your form, which could also be a problem. I have been running for a few years and I still have pain too. I think it comes with the territory, honestly! Try to not run on consecutive days to give your legs time to recover, make sure you are warming up by walking or doing short intervals of walking for 60 seconds and running for 60 seconds. Also make sure you are stretching enough and correctly. Finally, are you doing weight lifting with your legs? Doing hamstring raises, quad raises, squats, and calf raises will make your legs stronger and your running better.

Hope this helps!

118936.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    RICE....REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION...this is the standard procedure for running pain/injuries.
  • keshia_v03
    keshia_v03 Posts: 13
    Options
    I had the same problem with my left knee. I went and bought a really good knee brace and it makes my run much better. As I got further along in the program I noticed my knee was giving me problems so that's when I decided to get a knee brace. I'm now on week 7 and I'm glad that I got especially since I'm not a runner.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your quick responses! To answer one of the questions, I have been running on a treadmill this whole time. The weather is FINALLY allowing me to run outside, so I'll have to try that sometime soon! Right now I have a pair of Nike shoes that I've had for a little while; any suggestions on running shoes that aren't TOO pricey?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch really well before and after. Sometimes what feels like a joint issue is actually a tendon/ligament/muscle issue.
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good job for starting!!!! :flowerforyou: I actually started not tooo long ago. I was always a spinner or a treadmill run/walker. I started running outside and WOW!! I have pain where I never had pain before. On the outside of my ankles for one. I looked in my Anatomy book and found there are stabilizing muscles that one does not use unless moving fast on unstable terrine (aka the road/gravel/grass). Now remember there is ligament/joint pain (not good to have) and then GOOD pain of working the muscles! Figure out which on it is? It can also be different in different areas of the body. I have bad knees (dislocated knee cap playing volleyball in college). When that bad pain starts I S L O W D O W N, RICE, stretch...and most important know my limits. When it comes to muscles I have come to really love that good pain (crazy I know!).
    Good job for going this far! I have really enjoyed running (and the ab workout that comes with it! :laugh: ).

Tiffany
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my left knee. I went and bought a really good knee brace and it makes my run much better. As I got further along in the program I noticed my knee was giving me problems so that's when I decided to get a knee brace. I'm now on week 7 and I'm glad that I got especially since I'm not a runner.

The problem with knee braces is that it can make a problem worse. You are no longer working on the little muscles around your knees and can cause them to get weaker as you are getting stronger. The can cause some serious problems down the road.

From someone that has broken both knees at different times, the shoes do make a difference. After my last injury I didn't think I could ever run again because of permanent damage to the tissue. What I had to do was to step back and bike for awhile. It got the muscels around my knees in shape, as well as doing lunges and squats. Then I could start running and there were no pains.

Good Luck.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have gone through a variety of aches and pains in my journey to become a superstar runner :laugh:

You may consider going to a store that specializes in running in your area. They can help determine your pronation and make sure you are in the right shoes for your foot type.

Believe it or not, shoes can make a huge difference in the aches and pains of running.

In the meantime, the RICE rule is a great way to ease some of the aches. If it continues you may consider going to a doctor or sports doc and make sure there is nothing more serious going on.

Good luck, this will pass and then something else will hurt :wink: :laugh:
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If the pain is on the outside and bottom of your knees, that could be a sore IT band. Try google-ing IT band stretches and doing them in the mornings (even on the days you don't run).

Also, make sure that whatever shoes you are running in, you use ONLY for running. I know that sounds silly but I will wear one pair of sneakers to the gym, and then change into my running shoes for my run, and then back again when I lift. The way you run is different than any other activity you do - that's why it is a good idea to go to a store and be properly fitted for your shoes. Buy your sports bras and shorts at Wal-Mart, but don't skimp on the running shoes, you will be shocked at the difference.

I agree with some posts that say don't run on back to back days, thats a good rule of thumb for any exercise. I just started running 2 years ago when I joined the military, and I have learned a lot. When I don't refuel with a snack shortly after a run, ice my knees at night and stretch pre- and post-run, I hurt bad the next morning, and I am in relatively good shape (26 years old). Stick to the fundamentals.

Lastly, this might sound silly, but when I sprained my ankle and had a stress fracture in my hip a year ago, I started taking a supplement that people with arthritus and joint pain take. It is a glucosamine blend (I think some brands are called Bioflex or something). You can find them at any health store. It takes about two weeks to start working, but it helps with the strength, flexibility and healing in your joints. There are traces of it in most multivitamins, but the extra really helped relieve the achey feelings I was having in my legs.

Good Luck and keep up the training!!!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Good luck, this will pass and then something else will hurt

Amen!