I'm looking for...

Options
stylistchik
stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
I'm looking for a lasagna recipe that subs some (or all) the ricotta cheese with lowfat cottage cheese. Does anyone know of a recipe like this or do you think I can just sub one for the other? thanks!

Replies

• stylistchik
    Options
    I'm looking for a lasagna recipe that subs some (or all) the ricotta cheese with lowfat cottage cheese. Does anyone know of a recipe like this or do you think I can just sub one for the other? thanks!
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    mmkammerer,
    You are right, You can subs with the thing you like to put in. and take out You don't wanted. That's how I do too. Good luck,
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah sub away!!!
    I always use low fat cottage cheese. You can also use a little crumbled goat cheese which is low in fat and high in protein. Goat cheese also come in different flavors to add "BAM" to your lasagna without the added calories .
  • stylistchik
    Options
    rock on! that flavored goat cheese sounds awesome!!
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    You can definitely sub low fat cottage cheese - I never use ricotta. I use whole wheat lasagna noodles too, and the next time I make it I'm going to try to use turkey italian sausage. I'm going to try the goat cheese too. great idea! I'll just have to make sure no one sees me do it - what they don't know won't freak them out.
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you find that the cottage cheese is too liquidy, put it in a colander over a bowl overnight and it's better to work with. Good luck:smile:
  • kenne
    kenne Posts: 13
    Options
    I always use low fat cottage cheese and use no ricotta. I sub equal parts. Generally we soak our noodles instead of cooking first. As a chef the golden rule to keep lasagna from being to liquidy is to cook one night let it rest in the fridge overnight and reheat before serving. I often do this and undercook the first go around if I'm heating in the oven.
  • mellieking
    mellieking Posts: 27
    Options
    This came from "Cook Yourself Thin"!!! Thought maybe what they do with the cheese mixtrue you might be able to use... :smile: :flowerforyou:

Spinach and Mushroom Veggie LasagnaMake this "Cook Yourself Thin" recipe.

Makes 12 servings
    Calories per serving: 337

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds cremini and/or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    Kosher salt
    1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta
    3/4 cup skim milk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided evenly
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more to garnish
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Freshly ground black pepper
    5 cups tomato sauce
    12 sheets no-cook lasagna noodles
    Nonstick cooking spray

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt. Cook until softened, about 10 to 12 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, milk and eggs, and stir. Add 1 cup of mozzarella, Parmesan, spinach, basil and oregano; season with salt and pepper and stir to incorporate.

4. Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-x-13-x-2-inch pan. Layer 4 sheets of lasagna on top, slightly overlapping. Spread half the ricotta mixture on the noodles, and cover with half the mushroom mixture. Top with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Repeat with 4 sheets of lasagna pasta, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce. Cover with the remaining 4 sheets of lasagna, the remaining cup of tomato sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.

5. Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick spray and cover the uncooked lasagna, spray-side down. Bake at 375 degrees, covered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Remove foil from lasagna and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Cook until cheese browns, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm and garnish with basil.