Am I measuring my hips right?

Options
I'm trying to get the most accurate measurement of my hips. Where my hips are exactly, my belly still hangs down a little bit in the front part. do I measure my belly, along with my hips and count that as my hip measurement? (Thank you pregnancy)

Replies

• Smyles2u
    Smyles2u Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    no dont measure your belly with hips...
    it would be measured with your waist tho.
    good luck! :)
  • kayelkay
    Options
    I'd say it doesn't really matter, as long as you measure it the same way every time
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Under or over the belly flab? :frown: Thank you 3 c-sections.
  • mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It's not as wide at my hips if I go under my belly flab.
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options

I don't get how you'd measure your hips with your waist? Surely if the tape is round your hips and it's level, then it's nowhere near your waist?

I measure mine at the widest part of my hips as I face the mirror, and this way, yes, the tape does go over the belly fat, but it's unavoidable really. As someone else said, as long as it;s in the right area and you measure the same place each time, it gives you a good enough idea in addition to how your clothes are fitting.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Measuring your hips, you want to place the tape measure just around the lower end of your behind and just above your thighs, those are your hips! Your abdomen should not be in the way or maybe just a little if it hangs real low. Good luck!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    to avoid any confusion i have taken 3 measurements.

my waist - straight line using my belly button as the marker.
    my hips - under the overhang (2 c/sections plus years of weight problems thank you)
    overhang - at it's widest part.

Hopefully I will be able to tell if it is getting smaller - I'm just praying I don't end up with loads of excess loose skin there, I am kinda resigned to the fact I will, and if I don't it will be a blessing and then some!

TM
  • Smyles2u
    Options
    Measuring your hips, you want to place the tape measure just around the lower end of your behind and just above your thighs, those are your hips! Your abdomen should not be in the way or maybe just a little if it hangs real low. Good luck!
    [/qu
  • Smyles2u
    Options
  • Smyles2u
    Options
  • megan_mp
    Options
    I measure hips + girl flap...that way I know if the flap is shrinking too. It's not like I button my jeans under the flap, so I just include that with my measurements.

Good luck! :)
  • mommasamfa
    mommasamfa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks meganpaul, that makes sense!
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    thank you for asking this question and thanks for the answers! :) always had confusions
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I measure hips + girl flap...that way I know if the flap is shrinking too. It's not like I button my jeans under the flap, so I just include that with my measurements.

Good luck! :)

That's my thinking and how I do it. In the end I'm using the same spot so I'm getting an accurate comparison each time.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-get-your-body-measurements.html :flowerforyou:
    155963image0.jpg

Chest: Measure the circumference of your chest. Place one end of the tape measure at the fullest part of your bust, wrap it around (under your armpits, around your shoulder blades, and back to the front) to get the measurement.

Waist: Measure the circumference of your waist. Use the tape to circle your waist (sort of like a belt would) at your natural waistline, which is located above your belly button and below your rib cage. (If you bend to the side, the crease that forms is your natural waistline.) Don’t suck in your stomach, or you’ll get a false measurement. If you generally wear your clothes below your waist, take that measurement as well.

Hips: Measure the circumference of your hips. Start at one hip and wrap the tape measure around your rear, around the other hip, and back to where you started. Make sure the tape is over the largest part of your buttocks. Because making sure the tape is level back there can be hard, try to do it in front of a mirror.

Thigh: Measure the circumference of the fullest part of your thigh. Wrap the tape measure around your thigh from front to back and then around to the front. You may be tempted to cheat by lowering the tape measure a few inches, but then you won’t get an accurate measurement.

Upper arm: Measure the circumference of your arm. Wrap the tape measure around the widest part of your upper arm from front to back and around to the start point.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I measure myself in all the places I want to shrink. I don't just stick to hips, bust, waist. measure wherever, just make sure you go back to the same place and label it right.