I Travel A Lot

Hi, I just joined MFP yesterday and I need help please. I am a flight attendant and I'm in an airplane all day. I'd love to know what is your typical daily intake on a 1200 calorie meal plan please. If you have any suggestions/recommendations regarding meals for me they are most graciously appreciated. Keep in mind I'm in an airplane without a microwave nor refrigerator. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    no microwave? no fridge? yet they have attendants....strange

bag lunch then...what have you been eating? what do the other crew memebrs eat?
  • Most of us bring along food bags filled with healthy stuff for the most part... fruit, hummus, leftovers, veggies, etc. I've finally defined myself as a grazer. I basically eat every 2 hours or so and all things aren't always so healthy... airport and hotel food. Time doesn't always permit time for a run to the supermarket before starting a trip. However, I do realize that must change.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Most of us bring along food bags filled with healthy stuff for the most part... fruit, hummus, leftovers, veggies, etc. I've finally defined myself as a grazer. I basically eat every 2 hours or so and all things aren't always so healthy... airport and hotel food. Time doesn't always permit time for a run to the supermarket before starting a trip. However, I do realize that must change.

well...good start...once begun you're half done....google eating healthy on the road

good luck
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 170 Member
    I also travel a ton and its a major committment to eat the right things. I also feel best when I eat every 3 hours, just so I don't get stuck in a jam: I always pack string cheese, carrot sticks, turkey jerky, Atkins bars and drink PLENTY of water. IF I have to get food at the airport, I try to stick to trail mix, or I'll order a grilled chicken sandwich sans the bread, or a big tasty salad (with lemon or balsamic).

The most important changes I made were restaurant/hotel eating. Since I have to eat out for 2 weeks at a time, I found myself making crappy choices based on how tired I was, how hard I worked, etc. Basically the 'I deserve it' attitude. Now...as long as I can make great food choices 95% of the time, I am still losing. It's hard that's for sure, but the reward is such a pay off! You can do it, just be accountable and conscience!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Welcome! Here are some of my ideas/thoughts...

I use an ice pack in my lunch box to help keep things cold and find this to be extremely helpful. Also, do you have access to hot water? If so, you can pack something like instant oatmeal to prepare (one of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal, blueberries and almond butter). I don't eat big meals, but I do eat often throughout the day and this hasn't been a bad thing for me.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks everyone for your reply. It's great to hear from you. It makes me feel more accountable and understood. Merry Christmas!
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Eat a lot of protein to help keep you feeling satisfied. Freeze some plastic bottles filled with water for ice, and carry some hard boiled eggs on the plane with you. Keep yogurt (Greek style is nice and creamy), chicken slices, and nuts on hand to grab when you need something in a hurry. Also keep baby carrots to snack on for crunchy cravings. Canned tuna, salmon, and sardines may smell, but they sure hit the spot when you're feeling stressed. Salads are always a good choice. Add some sprouts and seeds (pumpkin, etc) to up the nutritional values.
  • Man can I relate!

Just found out I am going to have to go on the road again! Just as I was getting into the eat-right-workout routine. Hotels are fine, but the gyms suck, finding a Goodlife (my gym) means running arround or taking taxis and the eating! ARRRGGG! Every day when we end everyone goes out for drinks and dinner together...I don't want to be rude, but It's never easy for me and the healthy choices in pubs are few!

I will try the tips suggested here. and I'll check back in for more help!