When do you see the difference in the mirror?

Options
Its been 2.5months since I started my lifestyle change and lost 21 lbs so far. I dropped a pants size and the current size is feeling loose but when I see myself in the mirror I can't see a difference. No one has noticed yet or commented that I look any different and I would of thought that 21lbs was enough to notice a change.

I'm already pre pregnancy weight but I feel I look bigger than what I was at that weight. (I had twins 18 months ago, maybe thats playing a roll?)

When do you start seeing a difference in the mirror, or when did others start noticing? 30lbs or more? TIA

Replies

• backstreet1008
    Options
    I think it depends from person to person. But have you been doing any strength training/toning? I think that makes a huge difference because you'll look tighter.

But I think it could also be in your head a little bit. Personally, I rarely notice a difference looking in the mirror unless my mom points something out. It's hard to remember what you used to look like accurately.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    But I think it could also be in your head a little bit. Personally, I rarely notice a difference looking in the mirror unless my mom points something out. It's hard to remember what you used to look like accurately.

Exactly. That's why taking photos to compare helps.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to notice a difference in the mirror, I wanna say like 80 to 100 lbs before I noticed. Most people will notice before you do. The problem is that you see yourself in the mirror and see a lot of little changes from day to day that makes it tough to see the whole difference. Try taking a picture and comparing it to one before you started that's when I noticed the loss. I still feel like I am the heavy person I was when I started. Keep up your continued success. Great Job.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Some people lose 10 lbs and you see it right away because they lose it all in their abdomen area. Those people get a lot of "did you lose weight??" and "You look sooo much smaller!" because their belly looks smaller compared to the rest of the body...

Others lose 10 lbs and their abdomen, arms, legs, face get a bit smaller.... but its harder to notice because they are shrinking proportionately.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've went from 170 to 140.2 [5'3] & see no difference...Down almost 2 sizes in pants but still a large in shirts. It's annoying me to no end!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I also recommend taking pictures. If you didn't before, that's ok, just start taking them now.

You might look different from before because your body does change through pregnancy. Muscles stretch, bones move around. Do some strength training, especially focusing on your core, to help get things tightened back up. That will make a big difference. In my profile pics I have a before/after diptych in which I only lost 3 pounds from one to the other, but the difference was HUGE just because I'd been doing core exercises. It's worth it.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Let me know, lol I'm down 50 lbs. I don't see myself any differently. But others notice. I feel that I wiil always think of myself as fat, because I've always been fat.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i've lost 21 pounds. I've been maintaining my weight for 6 months, and when I look in the mirror I think i'm as big as i was to begin with. We always find errors. Don't worry about it. Also, people are probably noticing, but they don't want to say anything because they don't want to offend you. I was 158 @ my highest. I now weigh 130. I'm 5'8", so that means I was never "overweight". I feel like if you aren't overweight or even obese to begin with, most people are not going to say anything because they don't want to say something that would imply you were fat or had weight to lose before because they didn't think you needed to. I'm sure people are noticing, they just aren't saying.
    I didn't get compliments until 3 months ago... After 3 months of maintaining. Most of the compliments go like this, "wow, you have gotten into such great shape"..."Your body has completely trandformed, you are like an athlete now!"... etc. People NEVER say "did you lose weight?", "wow how did you lose it/do it", or anything. Maybe same goes for you because of your pregnancy people know you are going to gain weight when pregnent then lose it. I know it sucks when people don't say anything and you don't see it, but just focus on the pants size and the weight on the scale and the measurments of your body.

I still see a 150 pound girl in the mirror, but i'm 20 pounds lighter. It happens to a lot of people. Don't worry about it!! i'm sure you look awesome
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    For me I started at 221 am now 198 so 23 down. 10 before MFP and 13 since joining. Recently people have started commenting , even my hubby said "Oh look you have a waist again" and I am seeing a difference in the mirror. Usually it will be from people who haven't seen you for a while. So hang in there, I am sure it will happen soon. Try on some old clothes that are too big for you now, that might help to convince you that you are indeed much smaller. You are doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Visually, I noticed it in my face first, especially chin area. But many people did not say anything until about 20-25 lbs dropped. And I was surprised by a co worker that asked me if I was ok, he thought I might be ill and that was why the weight was coming off. So some people are squishy about how to comment.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    About six weeks ago (after losing 40 pounds) I looked in the mirror and did a double take. I could FINALLY see a difference in my face.

Everyone's different. I had a friend that could see it straight away. Others have lost 150lbs and can't see it at all.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Its been 2.5months since I started my lifestyle change and lost 21 lbs so far. I dropped a pants size and the current size is feeling loose but when I see myself in the mirror I can't see a difference. No one has noticed yet or commented that I look any different and I would of thought that 21lbs was enough to notice a change.

I'm already pre pregnancy weight but I feel I look bigger than what I was at that weight. (I had twins 18 months ago, maybe thats playing a roll?)

When do you start seeing a difference in the mirror, or when did others start noticing? 30lbs or more? TIA

You've had a set of twins my friend! Don't be so hard on yourself... I too have had the gift of carrying twins (they are now 5). I recall not feeling "normal" for a very long time. ... 21 lbs is AWESOME and a lot of work was put into that... Keep it up, it will pay off!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The difference is there you see yourself all the time so of course you will not see anything. This goes for everyone else also, your clothes fit different that is good and just because others don't say anything it doesn't mean they are not thinking it.....keep up your good work.....
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Even when I got down to 80 lbs lost, I still saw myself at my starting weight. It's a hard thing to change.
  • curvy_ca_mama
    curvy_ca_mama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For me, it took other people noticing before I started noticing. My husband and coworkers commented how good I was looking. It took me to about 20lbs or so before I starting seeing results. Hang in there! It will happen!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I still don't see a difference unless i compare pictures and i have lost 65 pounds and gone from a size 24 to a 14.
  • thunderlight7
    Options
    Everybody has a different body type. Give it time. Change will come, I promise. If you feel better each day you wake up, believe me your body is changing. If you worry about too much it may become discouraging. Just keep pushing.
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 185 to 154.1 and trying to get to 145. I see a difference in my legs, my face, my back, and my shoulders. My stomach is still huge, not as big as before, but, still huge in my eyes. I still have flabby upper arms. I'm going to increase my strength training and toning in hopes that my tummy gets smaller and tighter. I do crunches and a ton of cardio. My strength training is 2-3 times per week, gonna increase it to 4 times a week.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Because you see yourself every day it's difficult to see the change because it comes gradually. :) Try comparing photographs instead, that way you have physical comparative proof!