Hip Replacement

Options
Is there anyone out there who has recently had a hip replacement? I had one of mine done six weeks ago and would love to know how soon I can back to exercising properly to get fit again. At the moment I am doing all the exercises I have been advised to do but expect them to lose interest in me after my six week check up tomorrow. Has anyone got any good ideas?

Replies

• nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there who has recently had a hip replacement? I had one of mine done six weeks ago and would love to know how soon I can back to exercising properly to get fit again. At the moment I am doing all the exercises I have been advised to do but expect them to lose interest in me after my six week check up tomorrow. Has anyone got any good ideas?
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi nannascot.

My experience is from a few years ago. I had my first one done 11 years ago this month, at only 31 years old. The other side was done in September of 2005. The main thing to remember is to not go past the 90 degree angle for quite a while. For me, the only exercise I could do regularly was walking. I don't know how old you are, but if your results are simular to mine, you are already in less pain than before the surgery. Talk with your surgeon, and try to get on a walking routine, and continue to do the rehab exercises. This strengthens the muscles that were cut during surgery. Good luck!
  • nannascot
    Options
    Thanks PDJ1220
    Thats where I am at the moment, walking a great deal but not able to do much else. I am 62 and had the op due to extra boney growths that were jamming up the joint. The pain I had before is not there but the pelvis has taken a bit of a shock being straight now instead of very squint! I suppose I am just too impatient and want to be able to getting motivated again. Its hard to keep the weight off that I lost last year. How long would you say the 90 degree advice is for? Are you talking about weeks, months or what?
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    No problem nannascot,
    The main period on the 90 degree is the first month, at least it was for me. The main thing is for all the muscles to reattach and strengthen so they hold the new joint in place. If your surgery was like mine, they cut a large amount of tissue, but don't suture it back up. It was allowed to grow together to limit scar tissue. Talk to your surgeon and physical therapy department for specifics.

I went years not being able to even walk much due to the pain. Now I walk about 20 miles a week. One other thing to remember is that all future exercise will need to be low impact. Picture a nail going down into a cylinder of wood. That is what the new joint kind of is. My surgeon stressed not doing any running, etc. As far as the pelvic stiffness goes, be sure to check with your Dr., but at six weeks, you will probably ne able to start some stretching exercises to loosen that up.

Again, since surgeries all differ, be sure to work with your Drs on all future exercise. One other thing my ortho stressed was not going to chiropracters unless they were well versed with joint replacement patients.
  • nannascot
    Options
    :drinker: cheers pdj1220
    Shall try and get them to give me some advice but my experience is that they will just say I am doing fine and they don't want to see me again! The physio didn't even want to know........