Sciatica... sciatica.. and more sciatica

Options
I am 37 years old and I love to workout, run, and eat. :) Unfortunately for me, I keep getting sciatica and for the first time, I havent been able to lift heavy or run AT ALL in over ten days. I am taking the usual meds and stretching, but my question is, do any of you have any advice on how to avoid this in the future?

Replies

• hegster01
    hegster01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice on how to prevent it; however, you're doing the right thing by stretching. Last time I had sciatica, my chiro would literally stick this sharp instrument (not sure what it's called) right into my where my pain was and then massage it out and stretch my leg to one side and it would really help. It took a few visits for it to completely go away. He recommended that I roll on a tennis ball - have you tried that? It seemed to help alittle. Good luck
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    where is the pain coming from? i would try to ice the area where the pain is originating. i have a back problem and that sometimes helps. also walking around and getting the area loose helps as well. goodluck!
  • rglasspell
    Options
    I had it so bad when I was in my early 20s that I had to go on sick leave. I woke up one morning after lifting a pallet of auto parts and had to crawl upstairs. I had to sleep on a carpeted floor for 1 month, and that at least let me get back on my feet. After that, I went to chiropractors for quite a while because nothing else was helping. I could feel the tension leave my lower body when they did a specific alignment for my hips. Maybe those could help with you, too. I also agree with the person who mentioned stretching, especially the lower core and legs. Another thing to work on is stretching out your achilles and hamstrings--for some reason, the achilles stretch really helped me.
  • mardbobert
    Options
    See a chiropractor or physical therapist. Often it is the sacrum that is slightly out of place and it pinches the nerve when you exercise or lift.
  • johnfnord
    johnfnord Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From a Christian Perspective (It's christmas eve after all) http://www.christianet.com/arthritis/sciaticnervepainrelief.htm

From a yogi perspective you can do triangle pose (trikasana) with your legs extra far apart and your leading food out past 180 degrees. I suggest going to an Iyengar style yoga instructor and they might be able to help.

good luck!
    john
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Research stretches for your Piriformis muscles. That solved my issues on the two separate occasions I had them.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I FEEL FOR YOU.
    My son had. To have 2 surgeries,as he kept. Falling
    Down.
    Make sure you get x rays etc.
    Good luck. God Bless..Baby
  • sertcelik
    Options
    The only real relief I have found is from doing the pigeon pose from yoga, or any other piriformis stretch. I've had trouble with those little guys too! Thanks for your reply!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Tennis ball, foam roller, and stretching. I have persistent sciatica and dance about 12 hours a week, work out around 5 hours a week. Stretching is generally the extreme version (ballet). I foam roller whenever I can BEFORE going to class or working out, foam roller after, and have a stash of tennis balls in various places, including the car.

Keeps me going!

Yes, I did chiro as well and probably should again but don't wish to make the time at this stage. I also have an inversion table, which helps. At the gym, I find something I can hang straight from and let the weight stretch out the spine. Sometimes that works better than the inversion table.

I also have electrotherapy (tens unit) at home and, well, I haven't used it much lately, a small ultrasound unit that I use for phonophoresis of a product called "Traumeel," It's the time and prep factor that keeps me from using the ultrasound, though. Eaiser to hook up the tens unit and let it do its thing.
  • mchotiner
    mchotiner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi - can you give me some details about how to use a foam roller of tennis ball for this? Sorry to be ignorant - I'm just not sure what to do?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Foam roller: I use it pretty much all over the body. I first start with the back, then the legs, then the neck and head.

The tennis ball: I use it for spots that need a deeper massage or working out.

If neither of those helps, then I schedule a REAL massage. ;0)