How to lose weight and not get loose skin?

Hello everybody and Merry Christmas:)

Want to congratulate first all your MFP success stories, they are keeping me so much motivated!

I am starting to be a little bit concerned recently. I am not even half way through my weight-losing journey, but I have lost quite a bit with my dieting, and now I am trying to work out a bit more because I am really afraid I will get into my goals with lots of loose skin around my belly...
What are your advices? How to lose weight without getting that? So far I was lucky, but I just realised I could not be so later on...

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    1) Speed. The faster you lose, the more likely it is.

2) Amount. The more you lose, the more likely it is.

3) Genetics.

4) Exercise.

Also, remember it can take you skin up to 2 years to "settle down" afterwards.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I don't have any suggestions other than lose slowly, keep hydrated, moisturize your skin.

I mostly just wanted to post and thank you for using "lose" and "loose" correctly.
  • enka1985
    enka1985 Posts: 7 Member
    @rainbow, haha, it wasn't easy for me, I actually had to think which one's which;)
  • I was beginning to run into the same issue. What's helping me is healthy diet, cardio, weight training (most important) and stay hydrated. Please know that your belly fat is not going to disappear over night. It takes times.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    So far I have not had any loose skin but I am losing very slowly. I even see my stomach tightening back up and I have had 2 children birthed by c section.

I would say to slow down the weight loss increase strength training. I would agree with another poster with I haven't seen anyone with 10% body fat and loose skin
  • I had a friend lose over 100 pounds and she didn't have lose skin her doctor told her it was because she would drink milk everyday and that it helped her skin. I am not sure that was the only reason but my cousin did the same thing and her skin started to go back and become firm.
  • I mostly just wanted to post and thank you for using "lose" and "loose" correctly.

omg, you read my mind
  • Garvin51
    Garvin51 Posts: 16 Member
    I am not sure what your exercise routine was when you were losing your weight, but to eliminate that extra skin you will have to lift weights and do a lot of toning exercises to regain the elasticity. If you are only doing cardio workouts and no weight lifting ... there is a possibility of excess skin ... you have to do both if you want to maintain that elasticity in your skin as you lose weight. There are some creams out there that help but do not solve the problem. I suggest including a weight lifting type program with toning exercises in your routine. :-) :happy:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    When someone tells you a "secret that always works", they're lying.

I lost 95 pounds in 7 months. 52" chest to 44", waist 44 to 35, neck 18 1/2 to 15 1/2. I'm a little over 18% body fat now (18.3 or so). When I was losing, I used the ellip 3 times per week. Since June, I've been averaging 20+ miles per week running.

I have no loose skin from my weight loss (for the last few years, my skin has become less elastic because I'm over half a century old, I grew up in a semi-tropical climate.

I get enough water in my diet that I rarely resort to drink plain water. I have no out of control eating urges so I don't need water for that either. I drink coffee, Coke Zero, home made replenisher for long hot runs (had one today - it's 74º where I live), and a glass of wine every few months.

Perhaps I didn't lose weight fast enough to get wrinkles or perhaps if I ate less salad? Dunno.

My suspicion
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    You are 26 yrs old and not looking to lose all that much overall - it doesn't appear. But for loose skin - not a lot that you can do about it. You can use the search function and easily read all the posts and topics on loose sking - there are plenty! Depending on how much you loose and how quickly - you may or may not see some of the skin tighten back up - but I disagree with the person who said that it's all about the percentage of body fat and muscle. Even if I got to 10% body fat (very unlikely... but that's not my point) I would still have a lot of loose skin... I have already lost 100 and am aiming to lose more. That skin is gonna stay there unless I have it surgically removed. Some of it may tighten up a little... but with the big amounts of weight gone, the more extra skin there is. Not trying to be Debbie Downer... but again, look at the Search function and you will find lots of information all over! Good Luck... and may the skin tightening fairy visit you favorably! :wink: :laugh:
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    bump
  • I'm not a doctor, but the best way to do so is just lose it slowly I'm sure!
    If you're being healthier no need to lose it very quickly!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    bump
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Glycogen...you can get it at any drug store. I won't go into the reasons building muscle, drinking water, and all the other things posted will not actually address loose skin...you need to increase the level of glycogen in your system. Eat jello and/or take glycogen supplements.
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    The body is made of the skin which is attached to fat, which is attached to muscle. If you lose muscle the fat will sag. I never seen someone with 10% bodyfat who has loose skin.

One has nothing to do with the other... I have lost around 100 lbs in less than a year, I am less than 10% bf and I have loose skin. Years worth of stretched skin will sag, it may draw up slowly over time but that depends on many other factors.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Bump
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    The body is made of the skin which is attached to fat, which is attached to muscle. If you lose muscle the fat will sag. I never seen someone with 10% bodyfat who has loose skin.

One has nothing to do with the other... I have lost around 100 lbs in less than a year, I am less than 10% bf and I have loose skin. Years worth of stretched skin will sag, it may draw up slowly over time but that depends on many other factors.

post some pics of this.

There is alot of truth to the years worth of stretching the skin theory, I have lost all my weight on the avg. of 2-3 lbs. a week and I exercise Alot both cardio and strength training as well as pool therapy and from my experience there was no way from the beginning my skin was ever remotely going back to where it once was. I will be getting a total body lift at some point in the future. After years of losing weight and putting it back on my skin was stretched out multiple times and this last round of pushing 560 lbs. did way more damage. Everyone will be different in the way their skin responds but even though it can effect your self esteem and your outward appearance, what is more important being healthy and living your life or putting up with loose skin??? Easy decision for me anyway, 2 years ago I could barely walk so the loose skin will not hold me back from living my life...
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Thanks for raising this! I have lost alot of weight just recently and am sad to say my skin has gone to hell... all over but especially my boobs... I've lost all the fat from the top of my boobs and even though they are technically the same size, the skin at the top is empty. I find it so embarrassing.
    So for now I am not going to lose any more weight, I am just going to let my body settle down and yes, the skin is connected to muscle and I am going to be focusing on this big time in the new year.
    No milk doesnt do anything for loose skin.... its protein that helps support the muscle that is good for you... but time is the only thing that is going to help your skin regain some elasticity.
    But sadly I know people who have lost alot of weight, who exercise ALOT and have very saggy skin.
    I think it all depends on how overweight you were to begin with, how long you were overweight for, and how old you are.
    I think at 40, I am not going to 'bounce' back like I would have 5 years ago for instance. BUT I am going to give it my best shot.
    Good luck!!!
  • I agree with you. I have loose skin around my middle - a two inch "flap," actually. However, I stioll get bloated a lot. When that happens, my "flap" disappears. So, I guess I'm not in a hurry to lose the loose skin until it becomes a real problem. I do contemplate getting my neck "fixed." The skin there is saggy and jowly.
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    I don't have any suggestions other than lose slowly, keep hydrated, moisturize your skin.

I mostly just wanted to post and thank you for using "lose" and "loose" correctly.

YES! Exactly THIS^, Just what I was going to type...

Merry Christmas.