Vegetarian?

I'm curious to find out what people's views and opinions are on being vegetarian! I'm highly thinking about it..should I do it? If you are a vegetarian yourself, pro's/con's?

Replies

• charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    I am a Vegan... I do it for moral reasons and not as a way to lose weight. HOWEVER, if you are thinking about being a veg. I would honestly just ask--- why? What are the reasons? There are PLENTY of unhealthy vegetarians and vegans out there. You really have to be willing to do a LOT of cooking yourself ( a great habit ) and loadssss of research on foods and vitamins. Best place to start at the very least is look at the foods you consume. Just read labels. Do research on whats in the meat you buy (that would be enough to make me vegan anyway)..... don't believe everything you read on the internet. Read real sources. Read articles by people who have loads of credentials. The biggest way that becoming a Vegan helped me was that--- i cut out dairy which has always been a primary source of bad fat, sugar, and weight gain for me AND I started to eat LOADS more veggies. When I think of a meal now, I think of a salad and LIKE the idea of it. I think of nuts and veggies. Or maybe toast.... Nutritional yeast..... I read EVERYTHING that I pick up. Most of the time, i have to ignore the middle isles in the supermarket because so much stuff has been made with dairy. I know you said Vegetarian, but that's just my experience. A lot of people move slowly... I started with the no dairy... then stopped meat but kept fish and eggs, and recently got fish and eggs out of my diet (so easy for me to do as I didn't eat much to begin with). Everyone moves at their own pace.

My point: I love being a Vegan, but it is a difficult life change for someone not used to it. Don't do it just as a way to lose weight--- a Carbetarian can even gain weight (thats just a term I use to explain a veg who eats mostly pastas and breads and doesn't eat their share of veggies). Maybe start by looking into like I said, whats in the food you are eating now. That way you will at least start the learning curve and see if its something that you really want to do. :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Veg for almost 20 years. I happen to think it's great. There are lots of great choices for vegetarians; stay away from the junk, and stick to whole foods. It's not hard to put together meals. But just like with any eating lifestyle, you'll have to watch the calories. It is real easy to overeat as a vegetarian too.

Pam
  • leoS8190
    leoS8190 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks!:)
  • I've been Vegetarian for aboot 7 years. I just hate the fact that I never get full because it is hard for me to get protein.
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    I've been a vegetarian off and on for about 20 years and am almost 100% vegan as of July. I feel better, my skin and hair look amazing, and my body functions better. I made the switch mostly for ethical reasons but also for my health. I read The Kind Diet and The China Study~ those 2 books made me decide to be a vegan.

As faf as weight loss- I initally lost about 7 lbs. But discoverd a delicous vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe and would make a batch about 2-3 times a week, and yes, eat them all!!! I have no self-control around sweets :)

It is definetly a huge change to take on. Are you doing it to lose weight? You will, as long as you dont rely on packaged/processed vegetarian foods. You need to rely mostly on veggies, fruits, grains and legumes.

I am all for vegan/vegetarian diets!! Good for you and the animals!!
  • diloed
    diloed Posts: 15 Member
    Vegetarian for 3 years but fluctuate between vegetarian and vegan. I do it for health reasons and after watching Food Inc. the though of ever eating meat again makes me sick....I became vegetarian immediately after watching that movie. My cholesterol levels dropped to just above normal on vegetarian diet and much lower on vegan diet. I no longer have to take meds for it. I did have an initial weight loss of about 10 lbs when I went vegetarian but there is plenty of junk food available even vegan junk food, so i still need to make good choices and count calories. Luckily I absolutely love vegetables so they are usually the basis of every meal.
    I will probably go back to vegan in the new year because I definitely feel best when I am eating this way and I love those low cholesterol numbers.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Wish I had the willpower to have a vegetarian lifestyle, but I can't give up chicken. Lol. I've tried numerous times but failed. I fully support vegetarianism, vegan not so much. Seems way too extreme for my taste.
  • I've been vegetarian since I was seven because I'm a bleeding heart animal lover, and I've recently gone vegan for health reasons (lactose triggers my IBS). I think that you need to do what's best for YOU - if you're okay with eating meat, fine, but don't preach to veggies about how 'tasty' it is and about how they're only eating 'rabbit food'. If, like me, you never felt good after eating meat and function well without animal products, don't bring up animal rights at the dinner table.

Being vegetarian is harder in some societies than others - but in all, it's a worthy sacrifice to make in my book! Just watch out that you don't delude yourself that cheese is a viable source of protein - stick to greek yogurt and eggs! :p
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I love it.....but it's not for everyone.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    It can definitely be done a "right" and "wrong" way, in terms of taking it from a nutrition standpoint (although many people are vegetarian for moral reasons)

I remember I had a friend who was vegetarian, and every day, for every meal, she'd have a white bagel with cream cheese on it. She wouldnt touch a single fruit or vegetable, and, needless to say, she was very overweight.

On the other hand, one of my roommates was not only vegetarian, but vegan-- and was extremely healthy and not really very restrictive. She'd eat seitan hamburgers with sweet potato fries, cheeseless whole wheat pizza, lentil soups, couscous with tofu, etc.

So, It's certainly possible to get a well balanced diet from it, if you are doing it the right way. For me, it's just not plausible because I'm so active (and I LOVE fish), but I think it's definitely doable for a lot of people if they are well educated about food and nutrition.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    I am mostly vegetarian (I eat fish) and I cook/keep my house dairy free (my son is allergic). I've gone the whole gamut between omnivore/vegetarian/vegan and this is the lifestyle that works best for my conscience and my health; I tend to almost always eat at home, don't eat fast food, etc.

I would recommend that you at least try it, or try to adjust a certain number of meals per week to be non-meat meals. If nothing else, it will expand the number of foods you are willing to try (I probably would've never really gotten into Indian or Thai food if I hadn't gone veg).
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    I've been vegetarian for 3 months now.

Pros:
    Shinier hair
    Clearer skin
    I've been consuming more fruits & veggies
    Hardly eat fast food now
    No more bowel movement issues

Cons:
    Less to choose from at resturants
    I still crave meat
    My family lectures me about not getting the right nutrition without meat (lol)
    I lost a lot of hair the first month until I learned to eat more beans and leafy greens
  • I am not a vegetarian but after hearing about the cancer causing arsenic they put in chicken i haven't been able to eat chicken. But my step mother has stopped eating meat for the most part and she swears by it. Says she feels a lot better. I know that our bodies cannot process meat that well. Certain blood types can process it more than others. Things like fish we can process and digest pretty fair though. If you are not much of a meat lover i would say definitely go for it. If you are pretty partial to meat i would say maybe go slow. I love meat so it has always been hard for me to cut it out.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Try reading Brendan Brazier, triathlete, iron man, and vegan.

Pam
    So, It's certainly possible to get a well balanced diet from it, if you are doing it the right way. For me, it's just not plausible because I'm so active (and I LOVE fish), but I think it's definitely doable for a lot of people if they are well educated about food and nutrition.
  • I'm a veggie girl! I watched 3 documentaries and that was it for me, I was done with meat, Earthlings was the one that pushed me over the edge.. I didn't even finish the doc!

I supplement with 1 protein recovery drink after a work out daily, that gives me 21 g of protein in 1 shot.. its not a milky shake either, I cant do dairy, lactose intolerant..

Tonight I made a huge turkey dinner for the fam and I was quite satisfied with my Gardein Stuffed Turk'y dish and plenty of fixin's!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    In my vegetarian years, I had a terrible time keeping weight off. Everyone's different, but I seem to need lots of lean protein to control my appetite.
  • I was veggie for 5 years, vegan for 2 of them. Just be ready to do a lot of your own cooking and reading labels. I had to stop because I wasn't getting enough nutrition and would rather eat more than take vitamins.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for over 8 years now and chose to because of my beliefs (huge animal lover here). At the beginning I probably didn't eat very well, but now that I'm older I am more smart about what I eat. I'm not a picky eater so I have a variety of food to choose from. I make everything vegetarian I can think of: spaghetti, shepherd's pie, chili, stir fry, wraps, salads, soup, etc. I either choose a soy based meat substitute or add in lentils, beans, etc.

You can definitely be a healthy vegetarian, but like any other diet (whether you eat meat or are a pescatarian) you have to make healthy food choices and not get stuck eating too many carbs or too much junk food. Depending on how strict of a vegetarian you want to be (i.e. no animal by products such as gelatin and rennet) you'll have to read the ingredients on everything.

The only con I can think of for being a vegetarian is having ignorant people poke fun of my eating habits (all the rabbit jokes, and how I'm not strong because I only eat salad, etc.) But I'm proud of being a vegetarian and can't imagine ever eating meat because I know where it comes from, some sources questionable. I gave blood in October and was nervous my iron would be low.. but nope, it was 143 mcg/dL (125 is the minimum you can have for donating blood) so I definitely surpassed the lowest range acceptable. Anyway, just think of why it is you want to be a vegetarian, and if they are good reasons, then you should give it a try.