South Beach Diet

Options
I started the SBD about a week ago and have lost about 6 pounds. I was wondering if anyone else was following this plan and what is the average number of calories you are eating a day. I find myself between 1200-1300 for Phase I, which is low for me as my profile allows 1650. I am concerned about a slow down in my weight loss due to the low calorie intake, which I know will happen as I enter Phase II of SBD, but am not sure how many calories I should expect to have in Phase II. Another note, I do exercise about 3-5 days a week either walking or following the Leslie Sansone 2 mile walking video. I have a lot of weight to lose (~90 pounds). Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• KathyH
    KathyH Posts: 7
    Options
    I started the SBD about a week ago and have lost about 6 pounds. I was wondering if anyone else was following this plan and what is the average number of calories you are eating a day. I find myself between 1200-1300 for Phase I, which is low for me as my profile allows 1650. I am concerned about a slow down in my weight loss due to the low calorie intake, which I know will happen as I enter Phase II of SBD, but am not sure how many calories I should expect to have in Phase II. Another note, I do exercise about 3-5 days a week either walking or following the Leslie Sansone 2 mile walking video. I have a lot of weight to lose (~90 pounds). Thanks for your comments!
  • Binkylove
    Binkylove Posts: 161
    Options
    What is different about the SBD. Is it not much the same as MFP ??? Just curious

Pamela XX:flowerforyou:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    South Beach is a lower carb diet. It emphasizes eating good carbs instead of bad carbs. The first phase is a lot like Atkins because you severely limit your carbs to help you get over your sugar cravings and sugar rushes. In phase 2 you start adding back some good carbs but need to maintain your weight going down.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Hi Kathy!!

Please join us in the low carb support group in the Motivation and Support.

We all are doing different low carb plans and having great success over there

I, myself, am following Atkins, several others are following SBD, some are doing Protein Power, but since they are all very, very similar, it is great to have that extra support!!!

One thing I LOVE, LOVE LOVE about a Low Carb Lifestyle, is that you can eat more fat and calories and still lose weight easily.........

I lost 8 pounds last week alone.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Kathy I started SB last week and when I did that I quit logging calories just to see how I would do I lost 6 pounds the first week. Part of what attracted me to SB was not tracking calories just watching my carb intake. I personally feel much better watching my carbs than my calories. When I started my weight loss journey I tried doing Atkins but as I added some carbs back and started watching calories my weight loss taperd off to less than a pound every 2 weeks. When I cut back on carbs my weight loss seems to accelerate. I try to workout 5 days week most days being a 1000 calories burned by extra physical activity.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    On South Beach and Atkins - you don't focus on calories...........

Focus on the type of carbs you are putting in your body and when..........

For instance, if you want to have a slice of Whole Grain bread or oatmeal...............

Always eat it with protein and eat it early in the day. Limit to 1 serving (1 slice of bread, 1 cup oatmeal).......

It digests slower and helps to keep you fuller longer.........

The major difference between Atkins and South Beach is Atkins adds foods back in according to the "carb ladder", meaning you add in fruits and veggies that are lower in carbs and work your way back up to the higher carb ones and then add in some whole grains as you get closer to your goal.

South Beach is a little less structured.
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are allowed with SB ? Phases 1-3
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Kathy I started SB last week and when I did that I quit logging calories just to see how I would do I lost 6 pounds the first week. Part of what attracted me to SB was not tracking calories just watching my carb intake. I personally feel much better watching my carbs than my calories. When I started my weight loss journey I tried doing Atkins but as I added some carbs back and started watching calories my weight loss taperd off to less than a pound every 2 weeks. When I cut back on carbs my weight loss seems to accelerate. I try to workout 5 days week most days being a 1000 calories burned by extra physical activity.

Isn't it nice to not count calories?

I follow Atkins, but I need the structured plan as Atkins. I am on rung 3 of the carb ladder, which is nuts and seeds.........

I was going a little faster and had to back it back down due to cravings. I am now enjoying how I am eating though, which is great for me!!!
  • KathyH
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I guess I shouldn't be focusing on the calories if the weight is coming off, but found I'm "pre-programmed" to that when I try to lose weight. Too many years of tracking points with WW, I guess.

On a positive note, I was overwhelmed by my weight loss the first week, not to mention the loss of cravings for carbs. I used to get shaky around 10 in the morning daily, but have not had any of that since beginning this program. I did have what I call the "carb DTs"...a bad headache after about 3 days, but that has since passed. I feel very positive about this plan and appreciate your support.

I'll check out the low carb board too...Thanks!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    How many carbs are allowed with SB ? Phases 1-3

Each person's body is different. Some people's bodies can tolerate a lot more carbs than others and activity rate factors into it also.

Phase 1 is the most strict because it restricts you to very low carb veggies (green leafy vegetables) and protein as the mainstay of the plan.

You should consume up to 20 grams of carbs per day, which should be veggie carbs, not carbs from low carb products............

Drink lots of water and you will see the weight drop off effortlessly and you will be satisfied.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I guess I shouldn't be focusing on the calories if the weight is coming off, but found I'm "pre-programmed" to that when I try to lose weight. Too many years of tracking points with WW, I guess.

On a positive note, I was overwhelmed by my weight loss the first week, not to mention the loss of cravings for carbs. I used to get shaky around 10 in the morning daily, but have not had any of that since beginning this program. I did have what I call the "carb DTs"...a bad headache after about 3 days, but that has since passed. I feel very positive about this plan and appreciate your support.

I'll check out the low carb board too...Thanks!

Yes, when I first started Atkins I had a hard time not tracking calories and fat in food.........When I found out that you can eat liberally and the weight started falling off, my blood sugar stabilized and I got off High Blood Pressure meds, I was completely amazed.

I first did Atkins at the force of my Dr when I found out I had Diabetes and I lost 98 pounds in 6 months. I didn't make the lifestyle changes and didn't want to give up certain things that I now know I have to give up because of being diabetic............

I am doing it this time for ME, that makes a BIG difference on making lifestyle changes permanent, instead of it being a temporary thing.
  • KathyH
    Options
    Maybe that is the difference with me this time too...doing it for myself. It is more health related for me at this point in my life than before when it was pretty much all about vanity! I don't have any health issues yet, and I emphasize yet, because I know that carrying the excess weight can bring on so many problems. I've been pretty proud of myself being able to say no also. I felt guitly today for having half of a whole grain bagel with cream cheese! I really thought long and hard about it too before I took it which is something I never would have done in the past. And who knew that you wouldn't miss potatoes or rice with dinner. My daughter who is 17 is doing this along with me and is having a lot of success too. I told her not to cut out milk though even through Phase I, considering her age.
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot about this diet, great posts I might have to look into it some more.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

For instance, if you want to have a slice of Whole Grain bread or oatmeal...............

Always eat it with protein and eat it early in the day. Limit to 1 serving (1 slice of bread, 1 cup oatmeal).......

The major difference between Atkins and South Beach is Atkins adds foods back in according to the "carb ladder", meaning you add in fruits and veggies that are lower in carbs and work your way back up to the higher carb ones and then add in some whole grains as you get closer to your goal.

Just wanted to add that Atkins allows for saturated fats, whereas South Beach does not allow them, and focuses on heart healthy fats such as olive oil, canola oil, and avacado.
    :flowerforyou:
  • KathyH
    Options
    That's a good point to mention regarding the healthy fats. Here's another "I never"....I never thought I would be satisfied with just 15 almonds, but I am.

This does take pre-planning though. I'm flipping out because I know I'm down to the last meal of veggies and need to get something for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

This program gets you more in touch with whether you or not you are really hungry too. I hate to have to be thinking about my diet all of the time, but this program isn't as stressful as say WW where you constantly are trying to figure points. I loved WW and lost weight on it and kept it off. But my body changed and I needed to find something new to try. If you eat whole foods you'll lose. Hey! Maybe I should coin that as my weight loss slogan!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That's a good point to mention regarding the healthy fats. Here's another "I never"....I never thought I would be satisfied with just 15 almonds, but I am.

This does take pre-planning though. I'm flipping out because I know I'm down to the last meal of veggies and need to get something for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

This program gets you more in touch with whether you or not you are really hungry too. I hate to have to be thinking about my diet all of the time, but this program isn't as stressful as say WW where you constantly are trying to figure points. I loved WW and lost weight on it and kept it off. But my body changed and I needed to find something new to try. If you eat whole foods you'll lose. Hey! Maybe I should coin that as my weight loss slogan!

It's a great program, so enjoy it!

I know that running out of groceries can cause temptation for quick foods (dare I say "fast food") but you can always swing by the supermarket and get a pre-made salad and a roasted chicken breast (most have these options) and that could do you for lunch and dinner until you get a chance to buy groceries and prep the foods. I do that a lot, and add garlic bread, rice, or roasted potatoes for the kids and hubby,
  • bellydancer72
    Options
    I can't do Atkins because of my kidneys, so I'm doing the Sugar Busters diet which allows low glycemic index fruits and veggies and protein. I also am not supposed to count calories but find it hard not to do so. I feel like after years of counting, I still should, so I'm still not used it. I love the fact that I'm giving up most sugars and it diminishes my "sweet tooth". I really didn't have to give up much at all and good carbs are actually encouraged so I'm eating lots of veggies, most fruits, and lean proteins so I always feel full and satisfied.

I didn't like SB because of the strict restrictions during phase 1 of the program, whereas Sugar Busters just has you eliminate all processed food like white bread, white flour, etc... and I'm allowed foods with 3 grams of sugar per serving or preferably less. Just thought I'd throw this one out there in case anyone was interested...
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Just wanted to add that Atkins allows for saturated fats, whereas South Beach does not allow them, and focuses on heart healthy fats such as olive oil, canola oil, and avacado.

There are plenty of studies that prove that saturated fats, such as animal fats are not bad for you. Atkins nor SBD allows transfats. Atkins also focuses on the healthy fats listed above.

I am posting my blood work that I had done on December 29, 2008 and again on Arpil 24, 2009.

My cholesterol dropped, my HDL increased and my LDL decreased. Eating plenty of all types of natural fats.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Maybe that is the difference with me this time too...doing it for myself. It is more health related for me at this point in my life than before when it was pretty much all about vanity! I don't have any health issues yet, and I emphasize yet, because I know that carrying the excess weight can bring on so many problems. I've been pretty proud of myself being able to say no also. I felt guitly today for having half of a whole grain bagel with cream cheese! I really thought long and hard about it too before I took it which is something I never would have done in the past. And who knew that you wouldn't miss potatoes or rice with dinner. My daughter who is 17 is doing this along with me and is having a lot of success too. I told her not to cut out milk though even through Phase I, considering her age.

It is strictly about health for me too as I am diabetic and have PCOS.