Dr says DOUBLE my Fruit and Vegetable intake

Options
if your Dr told you to do this, how would you accomplish it? Do you have favorite vegetable/fruit recipes/sides you would share with me?

Outside of eating a salad at lunch every day, I am kind of lost as to how you double veggies and fruits. Oh, and I am a vegetarian, so doubling them is a HUGE amount of vegges/fruits!

Replies

• vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    green smooties are a great answer to your quest!

do a search...you'll be amazed at the combinations.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would eat 2 pieces of apple pie instead of one lol Doubling my veggie intake would be even easier.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Smoothies.
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    VeggieMamaChristi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't own a blender, can I use a food processor instead?
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Green Goddess is THE BOMB.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Blender's are super cheap this time of year. I got a mid-size ninja at walmart for $20.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    do you like fruit juice? i think for most juices, 8oz is considered two servings.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I would just get on with it and eat more ...
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are a great way to expand the fruit section. I have fun with mine by adding diet fruit soda to bump up flavors, or a but of nice balsamic vinegar. I roast veggies and blend them for a soup, spread on flat bread for a pizza or layer them whole/big slices in a bread pan putting a bit of italian seasoning and mozz/parm in between the veggie layers. Considering you are a vegetarian that is a tall demand....
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    do you like fruit juice? i think for most juices, 8oz is considered two servings.

You lose thehealthy fiber and some vitamins drinking juice vs eating the actual fruits and veggies.

BTW There are alot of clean eating recipes online for fruit and veggies purees you can make in a food processor. Which would be easy to incorporate eating throughout the day.
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    Options
    I don't know how to ask the question to make more sense. You see I am a vegetarian. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. More than most (if not all) of the people I know.

Since I already do this, I am a bit overwhelmed about the idea of having to eat DOUBLE that amount and was hoping for suggestions for how to do that in a different way than I currently am.

I am already collecting recipes for the Green smoothies and next (after typing this) plan to look for a blender sale. Thank you so much for both of those suggestions!
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    Options
    I roast veggies and blend them for a soup, spread on flat bread for a pizza or layer them whole/big slices in a bread pan putting a bit of italian seasoning and mozz/parm in between the veggie layers.

This is a great idea, thank you! Do you have a favorite veggie mix or does it seem to work with just any???
  • rico1923
    Options
    I don't know how to ask the question to make more sense. You see I am a vegetarian. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. More than most (if not all) of the people I know.

Since I already do this, I am a bit overwhelmed about the idea of having to eat DOUBLE that amount and was hoping for suggestions for how to do that in a different way than I currently am.

I am already collecting recipes for the Green smoothies and next (after typing this) plan to look for a blender sale. Thank you so much for both of those suggestions!
  • rico1923
    Options

Without seeing what your diet looks like making suggestions is not real productive. Would like to help but am handicapped by this.
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    Options

BTW There are alot of clean eating recipes online for fruit and veggies purees you can make in a food processor. Which would be easy to incorporate eating throughout the day.

I didn't even think to look for clean eating recipes online. Thank you for this suggestion
  • et57
    et57 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor realize how many fruits and veggies you are currently eating? Was he suggesting that you double them in order to decrease your intake of some other foods?
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yummy Breakfast 1/2 c cooked spinach, 1 egg, 1 onz feta and a half a roma tomato. Then have half an apple or a serving of fruit that you like. It's great. (Also it is even better if you smother it all in Salsa and swap out the feta for cheddar!)
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    Options
    He suggested this knowing I am a vegetarian. We are trying to figure out why I am not losing weight and how to raise my GOOD Cholesterol. I have very low blood pressure, low bad cholesterol and A1C and Triglycerides but also have low good cholesterol and since baby #2 and being 35 am really struggling with losing weight.

I have not been logging for MONTHS on this site due to computer being down, starting a new business and falling out of the habit.

so, here I am on christmas night looking for ways to follow Drs orders and hopefully lose weight and be more healthy.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    split your plate 60/40 or 80/20 the larger number being veggies.. i take like a half cup of brown rice, a TON of veggies, and then make delicious sauces out of nutritional yeast and avocados or like a peanut sauce or something and dig in :D i also make a lot of soup, i puree certain veggies my kids wont eat and then it just makes a thicker broth
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you opened your diary or at least posted a typical day, it's be easier to give more specific advice. Beyond that, the quick and dirty response is to have at least one full serving of veggies or fruit with every meal and snack. For example, have fruit with your breakfast, maybe drink a fruit juice or have an omelet loaded with veggies; for lunch, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to have a bean & veggie soup, a salad, apple slices, and a munchable veggie like baby carrots or sugar snap peas (that's four servings right there); a snack of a veggie; for dinner, pair a protein with at least two veggies. That's eight servings. Drink a V8 and you'd be up to ten. Follow the adage of eating a rainbow everyday - mix up your fruits and veggies for a good range of colors (and nutrients).

How are you doing on exercise? Are you taking a multivitamin? Has the doctor considered supplementing any nutrient that you may not otherwise be getting enough of, such as niacin or Omega-3? Are you making sure you are limiting added sugar and bad fats, and getting plenty of good fats such as olive oil and nuts? Consider doing research on the glycemic load of various foods and make sure the foods you are eating aren't too high.

Mayo Clinic: How to boost HDL http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hdl-cholesterol/CL00030