50 pounds in a year...

Options
2»

Replies

• Jesuslover59
    Options
    I have lived with back pain before so I can relate. There is a lot of good advice on here; especially about talking to your doctor about exercise you can do and recording everything you eat. I am a Christian and will keep you in my prayers. God bless you!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds in 6 months, then threw out my back and SLOWLY lost 6 more. I started at 246.2 in March of this year, and weigh around 150 by aug..now Im just maintaining and getting used to my "new" body!

You can do it!! :)

Great job but if you don't mind my asking.... HOW THE HECK did you lose 90lbs in 6 months? That's CRAZY fast!!!

I went from eating junk and sitting on my butt to working out 6x a week and eating healthy!! I did it all on MFP, and still maintaining! :) Im "all in or all out" this time I decided I was "all in" and I did it! :):
  • Blabob
    Blabob Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm proof you can do it without the exercise - not proud of that, but it is what it is. Lost 65 in March to basically August. Now maintaining and gearing up to hit it again - with exercise.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi Alex. Unfortunately I have to keep this short because I'm in a bit if a rush. I just wanted to tell you that I was 21 when I began this exactly one year ago and I've lost 69 pounds this year. My exercise started with taking slow walks and doing stretching, modifued yoga... After I got stronger I wa able to do more, but I still don't do anything intense... I'm more into doing les intense things for longer. Like, I can walk 11 miles in a 4.5 hours now.

youve got this! The hardest change is the change in food and eatibg habits... You'll do great!
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 lbs in 4 months and wether u lose it fast or lose it slow it dosent matter its up to u to change your lifestyle go.exercise and eat proper healthy foods to fuel your body and keep it in shape I still have 60+lbs to go and my goal is to be there by June 4,2012 my 27th birthday. I WILL NOT gain my weight back and to insure this I will follow my tansition plan on Medifast and like countless other maintain my weightloss for years to come until I'm dead n gone from this earth.. I choose a life of health...its all a choice;)
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 28 lbs in 9 mo. I think the slower it comes off the better chances of staying off. I will never go back to that weight again. Good luck to you all. Feel free to add me as a friend as I need all the help I can get.

Only? Girl, that is great. Really. You can do it. I can do it. We got this ;]
  • alexandrarae90
    Options
    This is my goal as well. I have set this goal before and then procrastinated thinking that I would have to be more strict later on. Funny how that has never worked for me. I have lost 25 lbs using MFP and then gained 10lbs back. I have not been consistent. I can get very down on myself and hide from reality while slipping in extra meals here and there. On really bad days I stop reporting thinking that I will start again tomorrow.

But here is the thing. I have close friends in my life who have been very successful over the last few years losing weight. They have all used their own methods, but their success has resulted by sticking to it day after day and getting back to it after letting things slide. They have not been perfect, but they fight to remain focused through the ups and downs.

So here are my goals. I will report my food everyday. If I miss a day I will not let that be an excuse to stop reporting altogether. I will weigh myself weekly. If I see a trend that I am not losing the weight I will take action and change something.

And here is the major difference for me this year. I will talk to people about my progress and my mistakes. I always try to keep this stuff to myself. I have proven that I cannot do it alone. I need help. I want help. I want to help others.

I am tired of the look my doctor gives me when I mention that I am going to lose weight this time. I am tired of not being able to buy clothes in normal stores. I am tired of worrying about my health. I am tired of thinking about my family trying to get by without me because I let myself go. I choose to face myself and my inner critics.

This is my year to start life long change. I will lose 50lbs. On January 1st, 2013 I will weigh less than 220lbs.

We can do this.

Scared but committed.

I was the same way.. I joined and I was committed and then I fell of the wagon and kept saying "tomorrow." I wish you luck on your weight loss and thank you so much for posting! I can relate :}
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 pounds since July 7, 2011. So yes, I believe by the time my 1 year is up, I will lose at least 50lbs, if not more.

I also suffer from a lot of back pain. I have been going to physical therapy and doing all the back strengthening exercises they have told me to. I also stretch my back a lot. I also have a personal trainer who has taught me how to work out without hurting my back further. I do 5 60-minute cardio sessions a week, and 2 to 3 40-minute weight training sessions a week. My back still hurts all the time, but I know this pain will go away once I have reached a healthy weight.

So yes, you can do it! Best of luck :)
  • alexandrarae90
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for responding to my post. I really, really appreciate it. I have read every reply and have full confidence that I can do this. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

We are all doing great.. I believe in all of you. We got this. Bring it on, 2012!

;)
  • slmclellan
    slmclellan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had never lost weight before this past year (the scale just steadily increased the past 20 years...). Since April I have lost just over 50 lbs, I use MFP and I started exercising on a regular basis! The biggest thing for me was portion control! I am not worrying about calories today, but I will be back to the gym and watching what I eat tomorrow!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    Bump - You must have been eating less than 1000 kcal under your maintenance kcal. Weren't you hungry all the time? I have to lose about what you lost and would love to do it in 6 months!

13639133.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds this year!! It is totally achievable and you can do it!!
  • meganmuffin98
    Options
    HOW?!
  • faarup007
    faarup007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are in. I want to lose 50lbs this year because my back is an issue. I have 2 thin disks (L4 L5) and am in daily pain. I'm 26 and sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have decided to call 2012 my "Year of No Excuses". I refuse to let excuses get in my way of being thin and living my life to the fullest. I recently read an article in my Aunts fitness mag that said that a woman did strength training for a study and found that muscle burned something like 4Xs the number of calories than fat does. Because of this I plan to focus on strength training but not forget my cardio. It is 100% doable you just have to want it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have lost 33 pounds since April this year, and am aiming to lose 40-50 next year. Maybe we could start a group to keep us motivated? Anyone feel free to friend me if you would like :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I also lost 50 pounds this year, starting from January. You can do this. Never give up on yourself!!!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I also lost 50 pounds this year, starting from January. You can do this. Never give up on yourself!!!
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in a year is very doable, I've been on MFP since May and have lost 68 pounds so far, with little to no extra exercise really. I have a lot more to lose but I know with the support I'm getting this time I can do it and am getting to feel better and be able to do more physically without losing my breath.
    i know if i can do it you can too.
  • alexandrarae90
    Options
    Maybe a group would help.... I don't know. Whenever I try to be part of a group I never keep up with it lol. Ugh.
  • Selly7749
    Options
    Maybe you could create a group :) Perhaps knowing that you were leading a team, and that you were central to it would really help you keep motivated and stay on track!