Cutting back on coffee and a yogurt question

Options
I think I am going to cut back on coffee. I don't drink a lot as it is, only 2 cups per day, but it's the creamer I put in it. For 2 cups of coffee and 4 tbsp creamer it is under 100 calories. But I just think I could be drinking water instead. Any thoughts on this? What are the pros and cons of drinking coffee?

Also, as I was eating my yogurt today, I noticed the sugar content. WOWzer! I thought I was eating healthy...its Chobani Greek yogurt, blueberry flavor. I love love love their flavors, especially pineapple and mango! I like them because they taste great and keep me extremely full. But that's a lot of sugar--20g per container.I think I would be better off getting the plain kind and adding my own fruit or sugar free jam. Thoughts on this?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Switch your coffee to black or use milk. And yes to the plain greek yogurt. I add fruit and nuts to mine.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee, at least 2 pretty good sized mugs every day, and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Now if I didn't have that coffee...then you would probably see VERY NEGATIVE effects! Life or death type stuff!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You can drink it with other types of milk if you'd prefer. I went from creamer to 2% to skim to nothing. I've also convinced myself to not add anything to the coffee itself. If you drink it black, it's fine. As a matter of fact, you can even log it as part of your water consumption!

it's tough to stomach the black coffee at first, but once you get used to it you will find it hard to go back.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned, switch to tea or water? There are lots of teas that taste pretty good, and even have the caffeine you might like.

I like Good Earth Original. It's good as iced tea as well (for summer).
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I buy the plain greek yogurt and put in frozen bleuberries and choped walnuts. Way less sugar. As for coffee, I use skim milk. But some people really really love the creaminess that cream gives your coffee. :love: I just got used to it with skim. It didnt take too long.:happy:
  • Don26
    Don26 Posts: 46
    Options
    Switch to tea if you can...very good for you, loaded with antioxidants. I bought a tea pot and have been buying loose-leaf white tea off of amizon...pretty cheap if you buy in bulk. Big bag of coffee bean white peony cost around 30 bucks and has lasted for several months! Pre-flavored yogurts are pretty bad, I was surprised by that too when I started paying attention to labels. Plain yogurt and adding your own fruit, nuts, etc... is really a much better way to go.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Coffee (in moderation) has been shown to be good for you. Coffee drinkers have lower odds of Parkinson's, type 2 diabetes, dementia, heart rhythm issues, liver cancer, and strokes.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on caffeine but I do love coffee. If my husband makes it, I will drink 1-2 cups w/ a little organic soy but if no coffee is made I stick to tea.
  • quietpotato
    quietpotato Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the fat in the creamer, try switching to fat free Coffeemate. It's pretty tasty, and has less calories than creamer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to cut back on coffee. I don't drink a lot as it is, only 2 cups per day, but it's the creamer I put in it. For 2 cups of coffee and 4 tbsp creamer it is under 100 calories. But I just think I could be drinking water instead. Any thoughts on this? What are the pros and cons of drinking coffee?

Also, as I was eating my yogurt today, I noticed the sugar content. WOWzer! I thought I was eating healthy...its Chobani Greek yogurt, blueberry flavor. I love love love their flavors, especially pineapple and mango! I like them because they taste great and keep me extremely full. But that's a lot of sugar--20g per container.I think I would be better off getting the plain kind and adding my own fruit or sugar free jam. Thoughts on this?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have some thoughts on this.

1) Coffee. I'm unwilling to ditch my creamer. I have about 4 to 5 TBSP/day on average, and I love it. I'm still able to eat a varied diet and hit my macros day in and day out, so it's a choice I'm willing to make. You can choose the same but perhaps you'd like to spend those calories elsewhere. I certainly have a larger calorie budget so it's not as big of an issue for me, but even when I was cutting weight and eating at a lower intake, I still wasn't willing to give it up.

A nice alternative, if you consume whey protein, would be to mix 1 scoop of whey with about 1/4c milk and shake it. It will make a thick liquid. Use this as coffee creamer. From a calorie standpoint it's about the same as creamer but you're now getting about 25g protein. EDIT: Rae6503 for the win son.

2) If you are not diabetic and you do not have any insulin related medical conditions I would not even bother tracking sugar. Hit your macros and remain in a calorie deficit and use your brain when it comes to food selection and you will do just fine regardless of your sugar intake.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee, at least 2 pretty good sized mugs every day, and I haven't noticed any negative effects. Now if I didn't have that coffee...then you would probably see VERY NEGATIVE effects! Life or death type stuff!

:drinker:

So Agree with this statement!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Now for the yogurt.

If it makes you feel better go for the plain greek and add in your own fruit. I personally prefer the plain or vanilla flavor. Anything else is just to sweet for me.

Plus I ditched the creamer in the coffee and started using equal if it is really strong.

More water would be better but the amount of coffee you drink is a drop in the bucket. Morning cup of coffee for me is a 32 oz mug. :bigsmile:
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have some thoughts on this.

1) Coffee. I'm unwilling to ditch my creamer. I have about 4 to 5 TBSP/day on average, and I love it. I'm still able to eat a varied diet and hit my macros day in and day out, so it's a choice I'm willing to make. You can choose the same but perhaps you'd like to spend those calories elsewhere. I certainly have a larger calorie budget so it's not as big of an issue for me, but even when I was cutting weight and eating at a lower intake, I still wasn't willing to give it up.

A nice alternative, if you consume whey protein, would be to mix 1 scoop of whey with about 1/4c milk and shake it. It will make a thick liquid. Use this as coffee creamer. From a calorie standpoint it's about the same as creamer but you're now getting about 25g protein. EDIT: Rae6503 for the win son.

2) If you are not diabetic and you do not have any insulin related medical conditions I would not even bother tracking sugar. Hit your macros and remain in a calorie deficit and use your brain when it comes to food selection and you will do just fine regardless of your sugar intake.
    I agree

:drinker:

So Agree with this statement!!!
    Same here!
  • tonybdavies
    Options
    I gave up coffee even though I love it. I was a 3 caffe latte a day consumer. But I just decided I don't need coffee. I drink green tea now, and water that's all nothing else. No carbonated drinks nothing.

7 days ago I felt or rather my body was asking for a calcium hit, so I bought some yoghurt. I spent 20 minutes choosing and eventually purchased an organic apple flavored yoghurt. The day after was the only day since I started on MFP (4 weeks ago) when I gained weight, so now I think if I need calcium I'll buy some low fat milk and just drink that. The problem with yoghurt is the added sugar and high fat content. On the other hand yoghurt without flavor or low fat yoghurt is just not yoghurt (my perception) and I cannot bring myself to consume sour thin yoghurt.