Need to lose 15lbs...advice appreciated

Options
I am a mother of a very sassy but extremely fun little 2 yr old girl. I gained 75 lbs during my pregnancy and have not been able to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I still have about 15 lbs to go. I joined MFP over a month ago and have only lost 4 lbs...I'm also using the Herbalife products (2 protein shakes a day). I've tried all the other diets out there previous to my pregnancy and usually had success (especially with the South Beach Diet).

My husband and I have our own gym in our basement (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, free weights and also a BodyCraft Home gym). I've been working out 5 days a week for approx. 40 minutes (minus the last few days bc of the holiday). I am obviously a woman and not looking to put on a ton of muscle like my husband. I would like to know of things that work for women. I am very petite at 5'3" and am bottom heavy. What types of things, with the machines that I have would be best?

I'm struggling and would greatly appreciate hearing about how others have had success losing the unwanted weight.

Replies

• greatcait
    greatcait Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Jsiemons,
    Keep your head up, you're doing a great job so far! I'm a Slovak girl, so when you say "bottom-heavy" that resonated with me. Throughout my life I've been very active, almost even athletic, but I often get sucked into grad school and gain weight in my belly, hips, legs, and face. I've found the best success when I pair my cardio with stretches or exercises that focus on my core. If I'm limited on time (which I can imagine with a 2 year old!), I would do 30 min of cardio and then make sure to have a solid 45 minutes to do crunches, leg lifts, dips, etc., focusing on using my abs and strengthening my back muscles. For some reason, pairing both accelerates losing inches for me (I tend not to care about weight, but instead like to track body measurements) -- much more than either on their own. First I feel the muscles getting stronger. Then, I am always amazed when my body starts to just firm up and the bad areas somehow melt off.

And you mentioned diets, but keeping track of calories and sticking to set portions was the other essential piece for me. I'm a total foodie so eating is vital, and I like being able to have a bit of everything, as long as I moderate how much I eat.

So the skinny on my advice (which is probably not "new"..) = cardio + core + portion-control.

Sounds like you have a positive internal motivator pushing you -- keep listening to it. 5x a week is great! Hang in there! you're doing great. Good luck!
    -Caitlin
  • Jsiemons
    Jsiemons Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you Caitlin!
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    you are here...thats a great start! if you bite it write it...make you food log public so others can see what you are eating...find a great group of MFP freinds to keep you accountable...

start/or keep moving...challenge yourself to go that extra mile with all of your activity...even if it is cleaning your house...push yourself! put on music dance around while you are doing tasks...lol!

drink LOTS of water...aim for a gallon a day.

I take Tonalin CLA a supplemnt meant to reduce body fat...esp in the belly...http://www.nutritional-supplement-bible.com/tonalin-cla.html

you dont have much to loose and it is 100% possible!

Good luck!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You've only got 15 pounds to go... 4 pounds a month is a good rate to be losing.
  • Jsiemons
    Options
    Looks like I need to double my water intake....weight used to fall off a lot faster....I just need to be reminded that it takes time. I'm very jealous of the people that drop weight without trying very hard :(
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    plus after childbirth things do change! I also have not been able to take a good 10 lbs off after my son, he's 5 now! I started trying to lose weight Oct 22nd doing 5 days a week of cardio and i didn't lose anything after 1.5 months. not 1 lb.I also watched my portions and was eating alot healthier.. didn't lose anything. That was until i started 30ds.. after 2 weeks i have managed to drop a few lbs plus lose 1 inch off my hips/waist and 1.5 inches off my belly! maybe try something like that, it shocks your body from the norm it's used to....
  • lovezu2piecez
    Options
    whats 30ds?
  • Jsiemons
    Options
    I believe that lin7604 is talking about the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred....I've also read about this
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that you're beautiful, and 4 pounds is so great! Keep it up! :)
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Women do not get bulky like guys do unless you take male hormone, testosterone. Many women lift weights for sole purpose of toning their muscle, creating a nicely shaped arm, leg, and other. Also, there is no way you can spot lose so any machine will do to help you lose weight.

I say go for it, strong muscles burn fat.
  • Jsiemons
    Options
    Thank you acegirl1! It's always nice to get a compliment ;)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I believe that lin7604 is talking about the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred....I've also read about this

yes that is correct 30ds is jillian michaels 30 day shred dvd...
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing all the right things. Diet is the most important aspect of losing the weight. Eat well and stay within your calorie intake. If you want to jump start things you could try a 3 day juice fast. When I have been eating bad I think it flushes the evil out of my body.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    As others have said, 4 lbs per month is a really nice, sustainable rate. And I echo others, don't be afraid of building muscle. It really helps in all kinds of areas.

Pam
  • Jsiemons
    Options
    Okay everyone, so:

-continue everything I'm doing
    -double water intake
    -continue cardio plus strength training
    -watch my sodium intake
    -try Jillian Michael's 3ds
    -eat more protein

***thanks***

PS: Do you guys think that doing cardio everyday is too much?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think cardio everyday is too much. it's good to give your body a day of rest to recover.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Hello, firstly I think 4lbs in a month is good, slow and steady keeps it off. 1/2lb to 1lb a week is the maximum someone with only a little weight to lose should be aiming for. I have lost 12lbs since oct. I am mum to 2 girls- 4 1/2 & 2 1/2. I haven't followed any 'special' diet. I eat as normally as I can because I don't want my daughters seeing me eat differently to them. I set my activity level to active as I'm always walking, cooking, cleaning, playing etc and I don't want to log everyday activity as extra. I set my weight loss to 1lb a week then 1/2lb just recently. I run a lot when the girls are both at nursery or in the evenings when in bed. I'm having a little break just now since it's Christmas but I'm ready to start again in the new year. There is no secret, just hard work and dedication, you can easily achieve your goals if you set your mind to it! Good luck :)