Meat aversion- pregnant- suggestions for protein

Options
I am 16 weeks pregnant and can not handle ANY meat. Not the smell, the texture, the very THOUGHT of it makes my skin crawl. I need some alternative ideas for protein. I have been eating, nuts, peanut butter and yogurt- is there some other great source of protein I could be eating?

Replies

• AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    edamame (soy beans), almonds, tofu

Can you eat eggs?
  • 2BaHealthyMommy
    2BaHealthyMommy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eggs! Yes! I do eat those! Edamame- good idea!
  • chefbrina
    Options
    A combo of rice and beans is good.. lentils are really good for you.
    Oatmeal has protein, any dairy has protein too. I am pretty sure there are other grain sources that have a good amount of protein as well. Can't think of them off the top of my head but a little googling can go a long way.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery and have to eat lots of protein. I drink a protein shake (powdered or Adkin's) and eat Adkin's protein bars. Beans and legumes, eggs, cheese, and Greek yogurt are also good sources of protein. I hope this helps.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    edamame (soy beans), almonds, tofu

Can you eat eggs?

This. Also, plenty of peanut butter helped me when I had aversions. Be prepared: the baby I had aversions to meat with during pregnancy to this day (he just turned 4 on Friday) doesn't like meat. He's a self-proclaimed vegetarian by choice...

There are also things in the produce department like vegetarian hot dogs, vegetarian sandwich slices, etc. that are a decent amount of protein.

I had trouble with eggs while pregnant, too.... :-/
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I had meat adversion too.............are you having a girl? I of course have little experience with boy pregnancies to compare it to.lol!
    Congrats on your pregnancy. I think eggs is good, beans and rice was my staple during those times. Doc eventually told me that I was anaemic so keep up with your iron intake if you are cutting out your red meats.
  • 2BaHealthyMommy
    Options
    I had meat adversion too.............are you having a girl? I of course have little experience with boy pregnancies to compare it to.lol!
    Congrats on your pregnancy. I think eggs is good, beans and rice was my staple during those times. Doc eventually told me that I was anaemic so keep up with your iron intake if you are cutting out your red meats.

lol. I think this MUST be a girl! When I carried my twins- identical BOYS- I could eat pounds of meat a day. I wanted meat with sides of meat. This time around all I want is fruit, pasta, salad- almost died cooking the turkey yesterday!
  • sorryteacups
    Options
    I am a vegetarian so I am slightly knowledgeable on this topic, haha. I really love Field Grain Co's meat alternative--all veggie and grains! They have frankfurters, italian links and mexican chipotle links. In fact I made a delicious Christmas baked ziti with the italian links and forgot that it was meatless at all!

I also eat a lot of beans (black beans, chickpeas, cannelini beans) and they have been serving me well in salads and soups as of late. Quinoa is also filled with protein as well and is very filling!

Chobani greek yogurt is also filled with protein, about 13-14 grams per serving. The pineapple flavor is my absolute favorite, and I am also partial towards the blueberry, pomegranate and raspberry as well. I hope this helps and congrats on the pregnancy!
  • 2BaHealthyMommy
    Options
    A combo of rice and beans is good.. lentils are really good for you.

Now I really want a bowl of rice and beans! Thanks! Great idea! =)
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not weird! When I was pregnant with my son, I got a really bad meat aversion. It was terrible bc I love meat! It passed after about a month though. Hang in there!
  • 2BaHealthyMommy
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas- I have never tried the Chobani yogurt but pineapple flavor sounds like a big winner!

So many great suggestions! I love MFP!
  • estinson79
    Options
    Quinoa! As complete a protein as meat
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whey protein? It's lean and you can get it in a lot of the protein drinks. My personal favorite is chocolate shakeology.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options

lol. I think this MUST be a girl! When I carried my twins- identical BOYS- I could eat pounds of meat a day. I wanted meat with sides of meat. This time around all I want is fruit, pasta, salad- almost died cooking the turkey yesterday!

Always nice to meet another multiples mum. Mine are identical girls, triplets.