Nike Plus

Options
Elzecat
Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
I would love to hear from someone who uses the Nike Plus system to track running workouts (not the watch, I'm interested in the iPod attachment and shoe sensor). I am looking for something easy to use that tracks mileage, pace, and speed, and I can't afford a GPS watch right now. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mollymoo89
    Options
    I've used it before. I used it recently on a run and since I had an ipod touch, I didn't need to use the foot sensor since the ipod has the sensor built in. It recorded my pace but it didn't record my mileage, which is what I needed. However, in the past it has worked well for me.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I use a Nike+ app on my ipod, nothing in my shoe though. I have noticed that the Nike website is hard to work wtih which is the place that you can sync &join challenges and see your progress more so than on the app. Good luck and add me if you get your app! I use the same username as my MFP one.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to use one but couldn't get the calibration right. It used to say I ran 0.9 miles when in fact I had run a mile.

Once I bought an iPhone the best app EVER has to be iMapMyRun. Gives you speed, pace, distance and you can get your splits online. It also has voice feedback, which I connect to via Bluetooth ear buds, and every 1/2 mile or so the voice tells me my pace. I used it for the Turkey Trot 8k and it was 1 second off my time. Probably as long as it took to get it off my arm.

Very accurate and well worth looking into. I don't run without it!!
  • melissammundy
    Options
    Yeah I used to use one but couldn't get the calibration right. It used to say I ran 0.9 miles when in fact I had run a mile.

Once I bought an iPhone the best app EVER has to be iMapMyRun. Gives you speed, pace, distance and you can get your splits online. It also has voice feedback, which I connect to via Bluetooth ear buds, and every 1/2 mile or so the voice tells me my pace. I used it for the Turkey Trot 8k and it was 1 second off my time. Probably as long as it took to get it off my arm.

Very accurate and well worth looking into. I don't run without it!!

yup i LOVE iMApMyRun!!! & its FREE lol you can't get any better than that.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I should have prefaced this with--I don't want info on phone apps--I don't have a smartphone, and no plan to get one...so...I need either a gps watch or something like the nike plus.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I know you said you didn't have an iphone, but just a note to those that do- There's a Nike+GPS app you can get at the app store that I've heard is better than the std app.

I have a iPod nano and use the Nike+ sensor with my Nike+ shoes. I use the nano pedometor through the day and the running app during my runs. It calibrated pretty well for me-I ran on a track to do it.

I like how you can set types of runs (basic, timed, distance), and you can 'bookmark' a particular spot in your run by hitting the lock button. Having the voice drone on for a minute blocking out my audiobook/podcast is annoying but I can deal with it.

The Nike+ running website isn't the greatest, but it lets you track your numbers, which is good. I like the Nike+active site though-I find the game motivating (speaking of which I need to run today to get through Paris :) . I'm NotGoddess on both sites, so feel free to add me if you would like.

The calorie burn the nano app reports seems to be low. It's about 2/3 what my HRM records. I'm not sure what formula is used to calculate them.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is available for iphone and android phones. I used to use that before my hubby got me a garmin watch. I used to have the nike+ sensor and found to be a pain with needed to calibrate it for different runs.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You could google running watches. There are very affordable watches out there. I used to pre-route my runs on mapmyrun so I would know the mileage ahead of time and then just watch the time myself.
  • Phoenix0313
    Phoenix0313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was kindo of thinking about getting on board with the nike + shoes but if there is a sensor in the new nano do I really need to?
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I was kindo of thinking about getting on board with the nike + shoes but if there is a sensor in the new nano do I really need to?

good question! I don't know the answer, sorry :(
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, you don't need the Nike+ shoes but you DO need the sensor. They're about $20 on amazon. I got a little velcro pouch to attach it to my shoelaces. The sensor communicates with the app in the ipod or armband. I've used it since early 2009 and the website can be a little spotty at times, but I like it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find it about 10% out for distance. I do a 9km circuit (measured with GPS), my Nike plus pod measures it as 10km.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I find it about 10% out for distance. I do a 9km circuit (measured with GPS), my Nike plus pod measures it as 10km.
    You can calibrate it. Out of the box it's supposed to be accurate for about 70-80% of people but everyone's stride is going to be a little different. There's an option when you complete a run to calibrate and you just adjust it to the known distance.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You can calibrate it. Out of the box it's supposed to be accurate for about 70-80% of people but everyone's stride is going to be a little different. There's an option when you complete a run to calibrate and you just adjust it to the known distance.

Thanks. I also found it very unreliable and got through 3 pods in 6 months as they kept failing! I use GPS now, or just track it after on map my run.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The Nike Plus for the iPod works pretty good. I used it for years and then got an iPhone.

If that is the tool you have access to... Just Use It!

Definitely calibrate it...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Thanks ya'all :happy:
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I love mine. The shoes i normally run in are Nikes and they have a hole for the shoe sensor under the sole. I calibrated mine and it is Accurate (in KMs).

It auto syncs with my iphone.

They have little pouches for shoes that are not nikes that you tie on