Elliptical machine

Options
I have a question, I just got a new Ellitipal machine, and when I logged my time in for 35 mins it was like 350 cal burned?? is that right. When I look on my machine it says I only like burned 60??

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The most accurate read would be from an actual heartrate monitor, but I do average 9-10 calories per minute when I really work hard on the elliptical.
  • myuva
    myuva Posts: 67
    Options
    I have burned 600 or so calories doing an hour on the eliptical.......
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you worked....did you use any resistance, incline? I do the calorie burn program on mine and burn about 300 in 30 minutes with variable resistance and incline.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    350 sounds more accurate. 60 if you were barely moving with no resistance. I don't burn as high as I did when I weighed more, but I stay at about 450/ hour at 3.5 mph and high resistance. So I'd go with mfp. Compared to my hrm, mfp estimates low, so you should be safe following mfp estimates.
  • LamsieDee
    Options
    I've been using a Nordic trac elliptical for quite awhile...if I run at the pace of 14-16 for 1/2 hour on the 2nd incline using a weight loss setting that changes the resistance between 8 and 10. I can burn up to 600 or 700 cals in the 1/2 hour on it. but that's running fast and hard. usually that's equivalent to 7-8 miles on the machines screen. I'm not sure if it's truely accurate...but it sure feels like a hard run at that pace. most everyone says 10 cals per minute if you are moving along pretty well....you can't stroll and burn cals...just like any other exercises...the harder you go at it...the more burn. just remember to drink your water even while you work out. you don't want to dehydrate.
  • chevy3501002
    chevy3501002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!!, I just wasent sure if I maybe I was reading it wrong or what one I should go by.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    350 is more reasonable HOWEVER when I started to wear a HRM I noticed for me MFP tends to over estimate a little.