Asic Running Shoes

Options
I know I want a pair of Asics, but as far as to which kind, I have no idea.

I have tried their Shoe Fit Guide on their website and I am in between a normal arch and a flat foot, so I have NO idea which pair will work best for me.

I want a pair of running shoes, the pair of Nike's I have are worn out.

I do have history with shin splints and I am not sure if shoes have anything to do with shin splits.

Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• SaintOnEarth
    Options
    Personally, I would say go into an actual store that provides advice from certified people. I know around my way there is a place called Fleet Feet that gives you advice based on arch and all that. They also watch you jog and run to help you pick a shoe.. It is an awesome store. Maybe there is one around you?
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Find out what your local running store is and go have them determine which shoe is best for you! Fleet Feet is a pretty common running store found in most major cities.
  • almille
    Options
    go to one of the running stores where they videotape your feet on a treadmill- they can give some helpful advice. The flipside of that coin is higher prices, and the possibility of a salesperson pushing you into a more expensive shoe just for the hell of it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I wear aasics and they're amazing. I have a flat foot and put pressure on the inner ish part of my foot the most but i correct that with arch supports from the good feet store. it keeps the foot from rolling. i got the cheapest i could and it deff helps, but if you got a bit more to spend then deff go for it.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would say go into an actual store that provides advice from certified people. I know around my way there is a place called Fleet Feet that gives you advice based on arch and all that. They also watch you jog and run to help you pick a shoe.. It is an awesome store. Maybe there is one around you?

^This
    Yep, go to an actual running store where they will analyze your foot and stride and recommend the appropriate shoe for you. It will save a lot of time and money in finding the right shoe.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics because I have a considerable pronation problem which can lead to a lot of foot pain. My ankles turn in so that my shoes wear quickly on the inner heels. I use the Asics Duomax which is a gray color on the arch area of the sole. I don't know if it would help, but there is a Dr. Scholl's display at Wal*Mart where you can check your feet for what type support you need. You don't have to buy the recommended inserts, but it might give you an idea of where you may need the most support when you try the shoes on. I like watching the specials at Famous Footwear when I can buy a pair and get a pair half off. Then I have a couple pair that I can rotate. They last longer and it is better for your feet. Asics are the most comfortable shoes I have been able to find. I live in them! As soon as you start feeling any foot discomfort, it is time to buy a new pair of running shoes.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet, and I always bought Asics Gel Kahanas.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Asics are my favorite brand!
    Budgetwise me gets them at Big5.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've tried to Google a running store that provides that service but haven't had any luck. =(
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options

YEEAH! this is what i did. got some sweet asics. now i want more.
  • sertcelik
    Options
    Certainly go to a store that services runners. They do many different measurements then make shoe recommendations. Its money well spent!! Asics Kayano is one of the highest rated running shoes made and its very cushiony. A lot of women like Saucony as well becuase it's more like the shape of our feet. I run in Saucony ProGuide4 and Brooks PureCadence
  • EnjoyEverything
    EnjoyEverything Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is more to you're feet than being flat footed (or not). Three of the things you did not mention is your arch, instep and whether you are o r are not an overpronator. If you run a lot like I do, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Some real nice shoes are Nike LunarEclipse+ Shield and Mizuno Wave Rider 15. These are minimalist shoes. See the link for some suggestions http://www.fitsugar.com/2011-Running-Shoe-Styles-Reviewed-20910328?page=0,0,0

As for Overpronating check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pODcT55_7zA <<< Great video.

Good luck to you!!! ... Bob
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I just bought Asics 2160's and I love them...I got them about 6 weeks ago, and they were comfortable right out of the box for a 3 mile walk. I usually do a mile at first with new shoes to make sure I won't have any issues, but these were fine. I do notice very slight pinching on the inside of my heel when I hit 4 miles a few days in a row. I think it's more of a wear spot just for me, not the shoes.

I have mild arches, and wear a size 10.5, sometimes wide depending a the brand. Few companies make a 10.5 so I buy 11's...these are 11 regular and I have plenty of room in the width.

I suggest buying from an online company that has free return shipping, and just try the ones you think will work for you.

I live an hour from any major shopping area, and 30 minutes from a shoe store at all, and I haven't had any problems buying online after I read 392817 reviews. LOL :)
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    Asics Gel 2160.

I have ran two half marathons and am training for a marathon, all with asics. I need arch support so these help! I'm pretty sure they were rated best running shoes by runners magazing but don't quote me!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There is more to you're feet than being flat footed (or not). Three of the things you did not mention is your arch, instep and whether you are o r are not an overpronator. If you run a lot like I do, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Some real nice shoes are Nike LunarEclipse+ Shield and Mizuno Wave Rider 15. These are minimalist shoes. See the link for some suggestions http://www.fitsugar.com/2011-Running-Shoe-Styles-Reviewed-20910328?page=0,0,0

As for Overpronating check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pODcT55_7zA <<< Great video.

Good luck to you!!! ... Bob

I think I have a low arch, not sure about instep, and I think I am an overpronator. I am going to try and get my gait analyzed, just need to find out where.

Thanks!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I also recommend going to a shoe store that will analyze your gait and then make recommendations for you. The shoes are usually about the same price as those at any other shoe store! Also, I have a tendency to get shin splints too (you're shoes, your running ergonomics, and muscular anatomy all affect this) and I run with compression socks on. They're 40-60 dollars but last for a long time. I was able to train for and run a half marathon without getting shin splints!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, go to a store that specializes in running gear and have your gait analyzed, then try on several different pairs in the store and run in them (either on a treadmill or around the store) to see how they feel on - a pair of shoes may be great for a lot of people but all wrong for you and your foot/stride, so take the time to find the right pair up front - no advice on the web can take the place of in-person analysis and trying the shoes on. Spending the time is worth it - the right pair of shoes can help prevent injury, while the worng pair can set you up for injuries. If the prices are too high at the running store, find the right pair there and then go buy them somewhere else.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My Asics cause blisters in the arch, a fairly common problem if you google it. Easily solved with a proper gel insole and/or double layer running socks.

Pam