Emotional Eaters: Without out food how do you cope?

Options
I have used emotional eating all of my childhood and up until till now (I'm 21) to cope. As I child I was sexually abused for over 12 years. 2 years ago I lost my boyfriend in the war in Afghanistan. This has lead me to have pretty severe depression, which I also handled with food. All of these things are weighing heavily on my mind right now and with out having a way to cope I feel like i'm going to go insane. All I can do right now is cry and wonder when it will get better. How do you cope when the vice you have had all your life is no longer an option?

Replies

• Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I walk to survive. I do a sort of walking meditation. I also take fish oil capsules. I used to eat sweets to cope with an abusive husband. That habit lingered far too long and is difficult to break.
    I wish you the best.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Running is my new stress buster. I haven't completely stopped eating when I'm upset or miserable or lonely or ... well anything, but I'm doing it less and am more aware of what I'm doing.
    It's been a tough year for me with my mum in hospice care for 3 months before she passed away from cancer, and running has been the one thing that has kept me realtively emotionally level.
    I'm sorry to hear things have been tough for you - my best suggestion is to find some exercise you enjoy and see how that helps.
  • KariePerez
    Options
    Let those emotions RAGE let them go you just have to let go. I have discovered that is the BEST way you can always do things to distract you and that will work for a while but eventually you will find just letting go and letting it all out is best. If you want more support or just someone to talk to friend me!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yoga, walking, meditation, church, any exercise will do, get your hands dirty in soil, works wonders, catholic cemetaries(even if you arent catholic) have free counseling for those who are enduring grief. even though your boyfriend was two yrs ago you may still be grieving. good luck to you
  • chelseyschwery
    Options
    if you go on a walk outside by yourself and listen to your head phones you dont know how much better it makes you feel!! :)
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yoga and taking baths. Reading a great book, drinking lots and lots of tea.
  • sunflower_yogi
    sunflower_yogi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yoga.. seriously give it a try if you can.
    also walking (as peaceful a place as possible).

sorry to hear you are having a hard time.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I used to walk. I discovered how healing that was after a particularly bad breakup. I dance. I also punch it out in kickboxing class (but I only figured out how to do that productively after therapy). Good luck.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I walk to survive. I do a sort of walking meditation. I also take fish oil capsules. I used to eat sweets to cope with an abusive husband. That habit lingered far too long and is difficult to break.
    I wish you the best.

Walking meditation. Wow, that really appeals to me. Do you listen to any music or anything? How long do the walks typically last for?
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't been an emotional eater but I was starting to become a binge eater. I read a great book called Brain Over Binge and it really gives you the steps you need to stop turning to food. If anything it might be a good distraction to read it when you are feeling overwhelmed. It really helped me though because it was getting bad and I had no idea why. You need to keep up the good work of not turning to food because I learned through this book that you brain will develop that habit and encourage you in the food direction more often.
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @enigrebua:

I basically adapted the technique from howtothinkthin.com. I walk for 40 minutes in the morning and I notice and appreciate all the things in the environment around me. I don't listen to music. I listen to the birds in the trees. I notice the changes in the leaves or the people in the park. I let negative thoughts go and think of things I'm grateful for. It is a constant practice to ward off depressive and negative thoughts.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Working out! Double whammy!

I was previously diagnosed with depression. Working out, eating healthy and staying busy pursuing some interests go a long way toward staving it off. I am not on drugs or therapy (was for a while a few years ago) and have been very happy most of the time.

When I don't work out, I am more likely to feel depressed and I get so stressed that I start having stomach problems. And am much more likely to binge.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I gained my weight after a few important people past away within months of each other. I trained my self to see food differently; it is no longer a reward or a companion. I started to analyse how food effected me, then found something to substitute it for.
    For instance sugar, gave me access energy and tasted sweet, substituted it with coffee for energy and then stevia or splenda for the sweet taste just to get my body away from being so used to that sugar high. After sometime I was able to introduce even healthier option that would give me energy like oatmeal, nuts, and stuff like that that would give me energy that is sustained throughout the day and would not provide a drop in blood sugar afterwards. Then I learned how to combine foods to avoid that drop in blood sugar as well.

All these took about 1 year to learn, going back to the drawing board and stuff.
    Now when I am upset I actually do research online or go to the library and read about what is bothering me. Incidences where others have suffered similarly and overcame, that helped. I was able to calm myself down before I started this journey, but counting my blessings. It helps me remember what I have to be thankful for and stop feeling sorry for myself. Also realizing that I am not the only person to suffer from several deaths in the family.

I truly hope this is able to help you :)
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Boxing, punching things makes me feel better.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Former emotional eater here. This one is usually for being angry, mad, wanting to hit someone. I will stand in a squat and do punches (learned it from 30 day shred) but now I'm doing it with weights in my hands. It helps me take my mind off of food. Walking and running are 2 other things I do when I feel like eating.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a counselor and possibly join a support group. In addition to the therapy and emotional support you would receive, they could also help you come up with some good coping skills that would work for you. When things get rough for me I usually call a friend, take a nap, journal, play with my puppy, watch a funny movie, color, go to a salon or shopping, take a drive and listen to music, run on the treadmill, or play wii fit games. Any of these will help take my mind off food or help me process the emotions. Good luck sister, I wish you the best.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Former emotional eater here. This one is usually for being angry, mad, wanting to hit someone. I will stand in a squat and do punches (learned it from 30 day shred) but now I'm doing it with weights in my hands. It helps me take my mind off of food. Walking and running are 2 other things I do when I feel like eating.

See. Punching helps.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I haven't been an emotional eater but I was starting to become a binge eater. I read a great book called Brain Over Binge and it really gives you the steps you need to stop turning to food. If anything it might be a good distraction to read it when you are feeling overwhelmed. It really helped me though because it was getting bad and I had no idea why. You need to keep up the good work of not turning to food because I learned through this book that you brain will develop that habit and encourage you in the food direction more often.

Thanks for posting about this book Echo. I will need to check it out myself. I'm struggling with emotional eating too and really having a tough time finding something else to replace it. I used to run when I was stressed like several others mentioned. I would run for 6-10 miles a day -- it was my "me" time. I could think about everything or think about nothing and I loved every second. Three years ago I got really sick with neurological problems. I walk with a walker now and can struggle some days just walking from the couch to the bathroom. I'm very depressed and have terrible insomnia. I would find myself driving to Taco Bell at 1a at least once per week and would be so ashamed I would make sure I would hide the trash so no one in the house would see it. I have stopped driving to get fast food (I see this as an accomplishment in and of itself) and I have been trying to find other outlets but I struggle. Yoga helps my stress level when I can get the motivation to do it but that's tough -- it's still not nearly the same as that "runner's high" plus it reinforces what depresses me in the first place....that I'm sick.

I can really relate to the original poster and I hope you can find something that helps you cope! I am rooting for all of us!
  • Stoflinkie
    Options
    It sounds like you have had a tough journey up to now. But don't worry; you are stronger than you think. It might sound a bit silly, but I find that meditation is a good way to get rid of some negative emotions. Only 30 minutes of meditation can do wonders for a troubled heart. Find a quiet place, sit down in a comfortable position, close your eyes and relax. Focus on your breathing and try to block out all negative thoughts. Good luck x0x
  • SHERRYBERRY11
    SHERRYBERRY11 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    NOT EXACTLY SURE HOW I HANDLE EVERYTHING NOW. I FIND MYSELF ASKING THAT QUESTION ALMOST EVERYDAY UNTIL THE FEELING JUST FADE AWAY. IVE NOTICED THAT IM MORE MOODY AND EASILY ANNOYED.... :(