video games as exercise?

Options
I mean like the Xbox kinect or Wii games where you actually have to move. It might sound pathetic, but its a lot more exercise than I use to get and I don't know how to log it under exercise. Help?

Replies

• MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    I played boxing and bowling with my kids Wii and woke up with sore arms the next day. I definitely got a workout :)
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    there are quite a few video game 'workouts' already in the excerise data base. Just search by WII or XBOX.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    accurately program and wear a heart rate monitor when you're playing the games. I suspect that you'll be surprised to learn how few calories one burns playing those games. Some estimates put the *average* at about 245 calories PER HOUR. Compare that to running or cycling or anything outside, and you might want to get outside and go for a walk instead-- it's a lot cheaper and better for you anyway. :-)
  • kellbell1981
    Options
    I have always used the wii active personal trainer I loved it you have to really work out and it changes the routine for you everyday it keeps track of your progress and calories burned, I haven't used it in some time now but I'm breaking it back out tomorrow morning!! =)
  • Carollies
    Carollies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a work out. I don't know about XBOX but last year in one month I lost 10 pounds just by playing Wii Fit. Even with just Wii Sports you can really feel the workout. Now I use Wii Fit and Just Dance 2 to work out when I don't feel like going out to do exercises and it's working out great for me so far. In the database you can find the Wii stuff :)
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM FT 7Polar, to register my burns...but i try to rotate workouts between Wii and outside..going on a walk/jog/run...or anything outdoors....this way u dont get bored...and its fun..doesnt feel like exercise at times!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    there are quite a few video game 'workouts' already in the excerise data base. Just search by WII or XBOX.

I have tried searching for Xbox several times and it always comes back "no results found". What am I doing wrong?
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    accurately program and wear a heart rate monitor when you're playing the games. I suspect that you'll be surprised to learn how few calories one burns playing those games. Some estimates put the *average* at about 245 calories PER HOUR. Compare that to running or cycling or anything outside, and you might want to get outside and go for a walk instead-- it's a lot cheaper and better for you anyway. :-)

I know its not the best and it doesn't burn a lot of calories, but it is so much better than what I use to do! Once the weather is nicer I plan on getting outside and walking. Thank you!!!
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think game exercising is a great way to start up exercising again! Truly the only accurate way of knowing cals is to get a HRM but you can 'guess' by picking a similar activity in the database. I would count on the database OVER-estimating though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I mean like the Xbox kinect or Wii games where you actually have to move. It might sound pathetic, but its a lot more exercise than I use to get and I don't know how to log it under exercise. Help?
    Just Dance is hardly patheic exercise. It's intense! And it's a video game.

Any movement is better than none, especially when you're new to exercise.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have the Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum for the Wii and I love it! It's great for when it's cold outside. I lost three pounds in a week using it and I didn't have a lot to lose in the first place.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend likes to play Rock Band and sweats puddles!!!!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just Dance is very good exercise! I think the point is to start moving and you are doing great. As far as logging is concerned, maybe just log it under walking at a 3.0 pace, that way it's logged. Or if you are doing a dancing video, try searching for dance.
    Also, I have been working out 6 days a week now for about 3 months, my kids got a kinect for Xmas so I got myself the new biggest loser for kinnect. It totally kicked my but. It really is like having a personal trainer in your home. I love it.