Anyone have experience with Anti-Inflammation diets?

Options
I am about to start an anti-inflammation diet and am looking for others that are doing or would like to start the same?

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    what's does an anti inflammation diet consist of? I've never heard that term before. Might be useful to me if it works.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Since I have inflammatory issues I need to, but heck, I wanna eat what i want. How restrictive is it anyway?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My husband is supposed to be on a low-purine diet for gout, but doesn't stick to it very strictly. When we do try and stick to it, I find that planning meals individually is easier than trying to plan out an entire week of menus. It takes me a while to organize 21+ meals individually, but breaking it up into more manageable pieces will save your sanity.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

Anything consindered a "diet" is a set-up to fail. JMO
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that inflammation is the root of most disease. Also curious to hear how this diet is defined. Currently off sugar and grains and have had "before" lab work that shows rampant inflammation. Not due for retesting until February, so I'll keep you posted.
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    Where can I find info on anti inflammation diets?
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis. I'd be very interested in learning more about something like this. I've cured my depression and mood swings and am working on my obesity, all through dietary changes. So I like the idea of modifying my diet to treat inflammation as well. Do you have a particular one in mind? Maybe a site link?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of an anti-inlammation diet. Our fat cells don't just store fat. When excess fat is stored up in fat cells it begins to act like an inflammatory trigger. When people get an excess build up of inflammatory chemicals they experience chronic fatique, the flu, etc. Just simply losing fat (shrinking fat cells) will decrease inflammation.

There are also supplements/enzymes that may be helpful. Bromelain's most popular use has been to reduce joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. The ranges for bromelain's anti-inflammatory effects appear to be from 500 - 2,000 mg. daily, usually taken in two doses.
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting. Looks like grains are ok with Dr Weil. His video does say to avoid processed manufactured foods, which I think is very good advice. I think I can live the rest of my life without it.
  • fitnoflab
    Options

Diet can also refer to how or what one eats. I'm a vegetarian, therefore I have no meat in my diet. This does not sound like the kind of diet you are thinking of. It's a guideline to improve health. Not restrictive or subscribed for just weight loss. Even regular meals can be made less inflammatory.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The basic jist of this diet is to consume foods that have the least likelihood to promote inflammation, yes, the obvious answer lol. Anyway the biggest contributor to cronic inflammation, and that's what were talking about, is our n:6/n:3 omega balance which means reduced consumption of grain products, but especially any refined vegetable oils high in polyunsaturated fats which translates into consuming more mono fats like natural olive , avocado and coconut oils. Nightshade veg like potato's and tomatoes are reduced and to include vegetables that have a high impact on our immune system and high levels of micronutrients......most of this diet is based on natural unprocessed foods........other than that, some individual bias does crrep in to promote an egenda.
  • deedleedee
    Options
    Anti-inflammation lifestyles (I won't say "diet" since that seems to be a trigger word) are generally prescribed by Internal Medicine, Endocrine and Naturopathic Physicians to remove the things that are not considered clean food which, when consumed, have a direct affect on your auto-immune system. Because I have several chronic inflammation issues it was recommended that I remove processed food, synthetic and refined sugar and refined carbohydrates entirely. While it should yield some weight loss benefits, it's much more about reducing the pain I am in and improving my quality of life. I've been researching this a bit since the recommendation was made and it makes complete sense...when I eat certain things (processed meat, spicy food, candy, alcohol) I definitely experience flares.

There are several books out by well know authors that seem to agree. If anyone is interested in supporting each other on something like this (excellent for folks with Arthritis, Psoriasis etc) please add me as a pal. I've started to cut most of this out but am looking at 01/02 as my official "clean slate" date.

Thanks! :smile:
    ~b
  • deedleedee
    Options
    The basic jist of this diet is to consume foods that have the least likelihood to promote inflammation, yes, the obvious answer lol. Anyway the biggest contributor to cronic inflammation, and that's what were talking about, is our n:6/n:3 omega balance which means reduced consumption of grain products, but especially any refined vegetable oils high in polyunsaturated fats which translates into consuming more mono fats like natural olive , avocado and coconut oils. Nightshade veg like potato's and tomatoes are reduced and to include vegetables that have a high impact on our immune system and high levels of micronutrients......most of this diet is based on natural unprocessed foods........other than that, some individual bias does crrep in to promote an egenda.

YES! Forgot to mention the oils... thanks!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Been having overall joint pain with this month's PMS. My weight is on the healthy side of normal, but at the ripe old age of 42, there's really no downside to dropping a few more pounds and focusing on cleaning up the things I eat. Hoping to replace lean cuisines with turkey w/ avocado on whole grain, and my egg and cheese stick in the AM with a kale/blueberry/carrot/flax juice.

I figure, it cannot hurt, and it might just help. :P