Going Grocery Shopping....

lvnspoonful
lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
First off - I am NOT a chef!!! I make ALL of my meals, pretty much, from recipes I find online or in one of my many, many, many cookbooks. I am a wife and mother of two boys, ages 7 and 10 months - so I always have to keep them in mind when deciding on what to cook.

However, it seems like I keep making/eating the same things over and over....I need some ideas!

What is on your menu this week? What are some of your favorite go-to meals? What is your absolute favorite thing to eat? What are some of your family-approved favorites?

Please include the recipe or a link to where I can find the recipe online. Thank you so much!!!!

Replies

• I love the website www.ourbestbites.com. The White Chicken Chili is by far the best recipe I have ever made!!
  • lvnspoonful
    Thanks - that's one website I haven't heard of!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Ok just let you know what I made this week, baked chicken parmesan, quesadills, fritatta, hot chocolate (real), crumble, pot roast and my favorite homemade hamburgars! If you want recipes hit me back.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    The menu for the week...

Whales in a tarp is my DH fav. Just a smoked sausage wrapped in a flattened roll.
    Taco Salad. Box of taco shells smashed up, 1 pound of ground beef with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce and cheese
    chicken pot pie Pillsbury pie crust, 3 chicken breast cubed and boiled, can of sweet peas, can of corn, 2 to 3 potatoes cubed and cooked, chicken gravy. lay down one crust in pie plate add every thing, cover with second crust. bake in 325 oven till crust is brown.
    The Mess Mashed potatoes, 1 pound of ground beef cooked, can of sweet peas or corn...sometimes both....mix all this together and put in 13 x 9 pan. I put about half a can of refried beans on top of this then add shredded cheese to cover. place in oven at 425 till cheese melts.
    sloppy joes ground beef cooked till done, add in ketchup and mustard to taste and it all holds together Serve with sweet potato chips. I fry my own.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    My favorite thing to eat is an egg white omelete with multi grain toast. My favorite thing for on the go is swiss cheese with hummus spread on it wih ham on top rolled up like a sandwich with fruit.
  • lvnspoonful
    The menu for the week...

Whales in a tarp is my DH fav. Just a smoked sausage wrapped in a flattened roll.
    Taco Salad. Box of taco shells smashed up, 1 pound of ground beef with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce and cheese
    chicken pot pie Pillsbury pie crust, 3 chicken breast cubed and boiled, can of sweet peas, can of corn, 2 to 3 potatoes cubed and cooked, chicken gravy. lay down one crust in pie plate add every thing, cover with second crust. bake in 325 oven till crust is brown.
    The Mess Mashed potatoes, 1 pound of ground beef cooked, can of sweet peas or corn...sometimes both....mix all this together and put in 13 x 9 pan. I put about half a can of refried beans on top of this then add shredded cheese to cover. place in oven at 425 till cheese melts.
    sloppy joes ground beef cooked till done, add in ketchup and mustard to taste and it all holds together Serve with sweet potato chips. I fry my own.

Sounds yummy!!! Thank you for some good ideas!
  • lvnspoonful
    Ok just let you know what I made this week, baked chicken parmesan, quesadills, fritatta, hot chocolate (real), crumble, pot roast and my favorite homemade hamburgars! If you want recipes hit me back.

Thank you! Sounds alot like what we have too! I love quesadillas and hamburgers!!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Forgot....With the whales in a tarp I usually serve baked beans.

Spaghetti with sauce. Can of tomato sauce, usually Hunts, Mix in olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, ( reduces acid and makes a sweeter sauce) toss in fried hamburg or sauteed shrimp or like me BOTH! When friends come over it's always requested.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    I love the website www.ourbestbites.com. The White Chicken Chili is by far the best recipe I have ever made!!
    I just chked out website...wonderful!!!!!!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    bump for chicken pot pie recipie
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    I'm making these tomorrow (just the meatloaf part not the mashed potatoes).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/skinny-meatloaf-cupcakes-with-mashed.html

They are SOOOOOO easy, delicious and get me thru a max of 6 meals at 2 cupcakes per serving.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Menu for this week (note, sweet potatoes are on sale at Aldi, 3 lbs for 99 cents, and we are still using up a ham that I scored a great price on):

Tuesday: chicken breast with bagged stir fry veg over brown rice
    Wednesday: curried sweet potato soup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Curried-Sweet-Potato-Soup-15590 (I'll use chicken broth instead of veg because that's what I have in the house)
    Thursday: ham with pineapple salsa, steamed broccoli: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1183
    Friday: Chipotle Kissed Red Bean and Sweet Potato Chili: http://www.krystaslifeinfood.com/2010/12/chipotle-kissed-red-bean-and-sweet.html
    Saturday: Green Eggs and Ham Frittata: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/green_eggs_ham_frittata.html (I'll use frozen spinach and onions instead of leeks)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I've been using Big Oven. You can search or browse for recipes, put them into your meal plan, and generate a grocery list. So far I quite like it.

Pam
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Roasting a chicken tomorrow with some potatoes, carrots and parsnips

Then using the chicken all week for:

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/11/enchiladas-verdes-lightened-up-green-enchiladas-with-shredded-pork-and-spinach/
    http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/18/savory-crepes-with-apple-smoked-gouda-and-roast-chicken/http://happygoodtime.com/2011/11/17/fatty-fast-food-rant-makeover-chicken-salad-sandwich/

There will be some salad in here somewhere

I love roasting some meat and then re-purposing it through the week. It saves me so much time and energy.
  • lvnspoonful
    Thank you guys so much!!! I read some really good ideas and some new websites that I haven't checked out yet.

I wish we had an Aldi's here, but we don't. :sad: I love Aldi's!!!!
  • Its been hectic this last few days with Christmas and all but I love to cook! I am constantly seeking new recipes and my family graciously tries them and tells me yay or nay! We always have lunch meat in the refrigerator if they are appalled by it LOL Think about things your family loves and how you can make them better for them. Like banana pudding...we all love it! I make it with reduced fat vanilla wafer, sugar free pudding, skim milk, bananas, and lite cool whip. Its actually not so bad for you and they don't know it is good for them. Does your family eat meatloaf? Try making it with ground turkey...or even halfing the meat with lean beef and turkey. My family doesn't like meatloaf. So when I make it I make it to suit myself and I cook it in a cup cake pan. I know sounds crazy!! But if you cook it in a cup cake pan then cool the little meatloaves you can freeze them and when your family wants something that wouldn't be quite as healthy for you then you can grab a baggie from the freezer with two small meatloaf balls and heat them up and you have instant healthy food in the midst of less healthy eats. www.skinnytaste.com has a ton of recipes and even includes WW points if you are on that program.
    good luck!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    bump bump
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Skinnytastes.com has the best lasagna rollups. I always substitue fat free cottage cheese for the fat free ricotta because my husband and I are not fans of ricotta, but they are to die for. We are also going to try the crockpot taco chicken chilli. MMM!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I'm a fan of casseroles this time of year (and my 2 year old son loves them). Easy to make and the leftovers are just as good as the when first made. Here is one and you can alter it to your liking:

1/2 sausage roll - brown and drain (use turkey sausage for some calorie saving)
    3 slices of bread - cut into small pieces
    6 eggs - beat
    1/2 cup milk - mix into eggs (I use whole b/c that is what my son drinks and we have on hand)
    chopped spinach - as much as you'd like! I usually add 1.5cups
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    salt & pepper

combine all and bake in a greased dish for 45 mins at 350 degrees. So yummy and not as many calories as you might think! Add some fruit on the side and it's a great meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner!)
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 238 Member
    Love all the ideas ladies - thanks!!!!