Loose skin?!? HELP!

Options
Ok I have lost 75 lbs in a years time and I have just recently noticed I have some loose skin on my thighs and my lower tummy. Can anyone help me with some exercises that can tone that up and tighten the skin!!

Replies

• tcpowell25
    Options
    I had the same issue. I would suggest strength training and drink lots of water. Also keep those areas moisturized. My loose skin is starting to tighten since I've started lifting heavy about three times a week. Hope this helps.
  • cuelgirl
    cuelgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert on this or anything... but from what i've read from other posts... theres really not much you can do... I'm also afraid of having these issues in the future... sorry I can't help more!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st let me say congrats. You did awesome and look even better.
    Well you see the loose skin will take time to bounce back. I've lost over 90 lbs and a few years ago when I was down 60-70 I was in plank and looked at my stomach and was like...crap, what the heck is that. Over the past 2 years it has gotten better but I also have almost 20 years on you. You're young so it should bounce back. Give it time. I've done lots of research and no magic creams or such. Exfoliating will help but that's about it that I know. I'm interested is seeing what others say.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Congratz!
    Eat healthy food and in time everything will catch up!
    Be sure you are getting in your fat and protein macros daily.
    Protein for lean mass and fat for hormone/vitamins.
    Cant see the diary so be sure that protein is appx .60-1g per lean mass and fat is .45-.60g per lean mass.

TC had it right!
    Water water water!

Hugs!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You were not too far over weight and your skin is like elastic, it will tighten up...

Plenty of good advice already :D
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I knew a person that had a gastric bypass and was told by his doctors to eat lots of fish (not fried), to help the skin tighten up. This may work to help you.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What type of strength training do you suggest? I know nothing about lifting weights?? I've just been running an Zumba to lose this weight!!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear and since I'm over 50 thought I would just have to deal with it. Within the last month I've seen my skin tighten up so it's not nearly as floppy as it was. Running or walking uses all of your core muscles so it also helps tighten the skin. I think that's what's helped me since I've been running for two months now and that's when I noticed the difference. (sorry - hate strenght training although I am doing 30 day shred - only on day 3 though)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    Keep doing exercise like strength training to keep the muscles firm under the skin, and wait. It can take years for skin to tighten back up. From what I have read at least 2 years. If you only have a little lose skin it will likely all go away in time.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great job! Bump for later.
  • TaniaLynne
    TaniaLynne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    can someone tell me how to post lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1lcou5eZho

These guys have helped me a lot with learning about pretty much everything weight training. This video they made touches upon loose skin pretty well and they discuss it better than I can write. Give it a watch!
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well you see the loose skin will take time to bounce back. I've lost over 90 lbs and a few years ago when I was down 60-70 I was in plank and looked at my stomach and was like...crap, what the heck is that. Over the past 2 years it has gotten better but I also have almost 20 years on you. You're young so it should bounce back. Give it time. I've done lots of research and no magic creams or such. Exfoliating will help but that's about it that I know. I'm interested is seeing what others say.

That happens to me in plank too. It's gross and aftera 9 pound baby I'm not sure it will ever be the same. :/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options

That happens to me in plank too. It's gross and aftera 9 pound baby I'm not sure it will ever be the same. :/

According to your profile you are 24, unless you were morbidly obese the loose skin will likely tighten up in time. As I said earlier 2 years after you lose the fat before you know it is likely as tight as it will get.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I would suggest strength training and drink lots of water. Also keep those areas moisturized. My loose skin is starting to tighten since I've started lifting heavy about three times a week. Hope this helps.

This is absolutely true. But also just bear in mind you need to give it some time. Your skin will regain some of its shape as your body adapts. In a year or so, you'll be able to look at this again and re-evaluate how the skin looks and feels.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss!!!

I spoke with my doc about this and was asking her questions about surgery. She told me before I go that route, to continue to lose the weight SLOWLY!!! then once I get to my goal weight to maintain that weight for at least a year all the while continuing to exercise and weight train then we would see where I am. I am now in my one year of mantainence so I will have to re-evaluate early in 2013 with my doc to see if it is a wise option to have surgery. Right now I am continuing to do things like pushup, overhead presses, squats, lunges, etc. If you can, try getting a Tony Hornton or Jillian Micheals DVD focusing on toning exercises or even sit with a trainer at the gym to put you on a program.
  • Austincbr
    Options
    I've been doing Jamie Easons live Fit 12 week program. I lifted for 6 month and never saw the results I'm seeing from this program. I've also lost 9 inches which I won't complain about :) And don't worry you won't look like a guy in the end :):)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • 3lilmonkeysxo
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds in a year and have the same problem as well
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I'm glad to hear all the advice here. I'm down over 55 lb but have at least 75 more to go, and I'm already seeing these folds of loose skin over my hips, belly, back of the thighs, underarms... but I keep telling myself that no matter what, those loose flaps of skin are a whole lot better than full rolls of fat! :smile: It's all about keeping it in perspective...

My doctor told me that surgery is always an option, but to lose all the weight I want to lose first, and then give it some time (at least a year) to see how much it will bounce back & tighten back up naturally. As others have pointed out, you're young which means your body should be more adaptable. You just have to give it a chance.

Good luck to you!