Water??

Options
Does water really help you loose weight?
How??
I am really interested to know this.

Replies

• Destinie589
    Options
    Jackie Warner says that it speeds up your metabolism. Plus it will help lubricate your digestive system so that you have regular movements which will prevent bloating.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can also be confused for hunger.
  • ShalisaClam
    Options
    Yes, it helps. It flushes the fat out of your system and keeps your body running effectively. If you're dehydrated, you can't lose weight as well. Also, it can help you feel full and you'll be less likely to snack on bad food choices. Drink at least 64 oz a day.
    :drinker:
  • arichardson750
    Options
    With me, sometimes I will mistake hunger for thrist. I think I will be hungry, but really, my body is just thirsty! Plus, drinking several big glasses of water before eating makes you feel fuller, which prevents you from overeating.

13581911.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 64 oz a day.
    [Citation needed]
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Drinking liquids can help flush sodium from your body and prevent water retention. It can also prevent constipation, especially if you eat a high fiber diet. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken as hunger causing you to eat more, and drinking plenty of liquids prevents thirst. Water is a good drink choice as it's calorie fre, but any non-alcoholic drink will do this as all drinks are primarily water.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    There is plenty of information about the benefits of water. Here are some links I've found with a quick Google search:

http://allwomenstalk.com/10-ways-how-water-helps-you-to-lose-weight/
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/04/10/water.losing.weight.jampolis/index.html
  • Rainforst
    Rainforst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Water really does help, it helps you fill up, it flushes your system, and also a lot of times you might think your hungry but really your dehydrated. Try drinking a glass of water when you think you want something to eat.
  • Water helps transport nutrients throughout the body after digestion.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yayaya! Water has helped me lose weight at quite a rapid pace actually.

It continuously flushes out your system, lubricates your joints, hydrates your muscles, helps carry nutrients throughout your body. Too many positives to deny! I make sure I drink at LEAST 2 Nalgene bottles per day. It helps your body digest food and deliver all of those nutrients to different parts of your body.
    If you're having trouble drinking water, just invest in a Nalgene bottle and fill it up with water. Don't refill it until you have completely finished all of its contents, this will be approximately 32 oz (4 cups).

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100823/water-may-be-a-secret-weapon-in-weight-loss -- Check this out for a little reassurance.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat less and feel fuller when I drink lots of water and stay hydrated!
  • Drinking liquids can help flush sodium from your body and prevent water retention. It can also prevent constipation, especially if you eat a high fiber diet. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken as hunger causing you to eat more, and drinking plenty of liquids prevents thirst. Water is a good drink choice as it's calorie fre, but any non-alcoholic drink will do this as all drinks are primarily water.

I didn't know about the fiber-water relationship. Thanks for the tip!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

This comes from the 8 cups of water a day recommendation.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ok, the skinny on water. Your body only has 5 quarts of blood in your system and it has a lot to do. It brings food to your cells, takes out the garbage, provides oxygen, carries sophisticated messages and chemicals and floods your cells with goodness. You want to keep your blood flowing smoothly, and dehydration stops all that. You blood gets thick and "sludgy" It puts strain on your kidneys and brain and liver. So, you need to hydrate, but not flood yourself. You should start with a glass of water in the morning, one at each meal, and one before you go to bed. 8 ounces each. And then more if you work out. Instead of 3 cups of coffee, do 1 cup of coffee, one glass of water, one cup of coffee, and the same for drinks, have a beer, or a glass of wine, and then next, have water and THEN have another beer or glass of wine. Don't have the soda, have a glass of water first. Aim for 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, with more when you work out. When you get old like me, your body doesn't tell you its thirsty as well as when you're young, so make it a habit. Everything will be better.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

Thanks for pointing out that 8 cups equals 64 ounces. The question remains the same: who told you this?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It helps, but not necessarily directly. It helps keep you full. As mentioned thirst is often confused with hunger so you avoid that. Further, it helps keep your body from retaining water. It also is absorbed by fibre in your digestive system keeping you full longer, and moving the food through the system faster. All that helps with weight loss.

My personal experience is that when I don't drink enough my weight loss slows, but likely that is my body retaining water not really a slow down in fat loss.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    [Citation needed]

Thanks for pointing out that 8 cups equals 64 ounces. The question remains the same: who told you this?
    LMFAO! I love my ability to notice sarcasm on the internet.
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    Dehydration can also be confused for hunger.

Wow I am one of the worst water drinkers this is great to know!
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    I've been confusing it ALLOT lol..
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283