Quaker Quick Oats

Options
I tried Quaker Quick Oats with Peanut Butter this morning. The taste A+ but the texture? F!!!! They were HORRIBLE. I need some tips.

I make these at work with hot water from the coffee machine and let them sit for probably like 10 minutes before I ate them. They were total mush! A sticky mess. The oats weren't recognizable at all. I like mine kinda "chewy" where you can recognize each and every oat.

Did I put too much water? Let them sit too long? Is the just adding hot water and letting them sit completely ineffective for this type of oatmeal?

I switched to these vs. the instant packs because I didn't want all that extra sodium. Do I just need to suck it up and deal with the sodium in order to have the right texture for my oatmeal?

Replies

• shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker?

You can make your own with Steel Cut Oats and make them exactly as you like. I make a double batch on Sunday for the entire week. Probably one of my favorite things to make actually. Healthy and yummy!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Try the steel cut oats or some oat bran. I don't care for the texture of regular oats myself.
  • scubakisses
    Options
    There are a lot of calories in oatmeal and it has a high glycemic index. But it is yummy. :)
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump

i eat oats everyday myself. love the health content and easy to make.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker steel cut oats reheat very well in the microwave. Other oatmeal doesn't. The reason instant is instant is because they have broken down all of the rough stuff or removed it. That's why it cooks fast and is mushy. You can also do steel cut on the stove and it lasts for a week in the fridge. Just reheat what you need with either a little water or some milk, whatever you prefer.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i use the quick oats 1/2 cup with 1 cup water and microwave it for 1 1/2 min then i ad 1 tbs of peanut butter i have no problems when i make it,if its to thick add alittle fat free milk
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat the Quaker oats I get from Costco (not sure if they are quick oats or not). I measure 1/2 cup dry oats, a handful of frozen Wild blueberries (from costco, they are smaller than ones from other stores) and just enough water to cover them and microwave for 3 mts. I then add some 1% milk just to the consistency of porridge. I used to add 4 pkts of splenda earlier, but lately I have been adding 1/2 a scoop of my Strawberry flavor protein Powder (Body fortress brand from walmart - Very sweet for my taste when consumed as a shake). I recently read on some web site that it is one of the recommended ways to take in more protein. Who would have thunk that i came up with something that was good as a nutritional breakfast. Anyway I like it like this and since I do my 30DS DVD in the morning the extra protein helps. One word of caution, do not cook the protein powder, I did it it the first time and had to throw it out. Mixing it later works well.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    i use the quick oats 1/2 cup with 1 cup water and microwave it for 1 1/2 min then i ad 1 tbs of peanut butter i have no problems when i make it,if its to thick add alittle fat free milk

^ I pretty much do this only I add whey protein instead of pb after it cooks.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The hot water from work is not enough. You still need to microwave them for about 10-15 seconds so the oats can completely cook through. At least that's been my experience. I don't use packets anymore. I just microwave my oats at home before I go to work and throw blueberries in it. Fastest, easiest bkfst ever.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    If you want really GOOD "instant" oatmeal, try Better Oats. They have a much better texture than that mushy quick stuff, and come in some pretty awesome flavors!!

http://www.betteroats.com/
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RebekahKuhl
    RebekahKuhl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try the old fashioned 5 minute oats instead of the quick ones - they have a lot more texture and not so mushy. I make them almost every morning. Just put them in a bowl, pour about 5 oz (more or less depending on if you like them runny or thick) of hot/boiling water over them and put a lid or heavy plate over the top for about 5 minutes. Yummy! =)
  • Awineburg
    Options
    add some nuts... or maybe some dried fruit. I personally like my oatmeal mushy, but the nuts help!

*chuckles*
  • Acatlett77
    Options
    What's the difference in steel cut oats & the instant kind in the packets??
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    What's the difference in steel cut oats & the instant kind in the packets??

Steel Cut oats are less processed, and have a great crunchy texture (similar to barley.) They need to be cooked for about 20 minutes.......that's why so many do a large batch and refrigerate to microwave the next day. You can see and read about them here (Bob's Red Mill is my preferred brand.)

http://www.bobsredmill.com/steel-cut-oats.html

They are so much nummier and healthier than the instant packets (which, to me, are mushy and tasteless.)
    Although Better Oats is in a packet, microwavable, and really good.........with the kind of texture I like in my oatmeal.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... maybe I am gonna have to try Steel Cut oats.... I really do not like oatmeal, the texture really puts me off, but I know they are very nutritious....
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, the texture of the "quick oats" is disgusting. My husband bought them once by mistake...

If you get the Quaker "old fashioned" oats, you don't have to cook them that much longer - I think I put them in for 2:30-3:00. Much better consistency and not much more cooking time.

Oh, and you can still probably make them with the hot water from your machine. :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    The instant oats are not good... I prefer the old fashioned Quaker oats and just add some water and microwave for 3 minutes -add a little brown sugar and blueberries = yum!
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    I tried Quaker Quick Oats with Peanut Butter this morning. The taste A+ but the texture? F!!!! They were HORRIBLE. I need some tips.

I make these at work with hot water from the coffee machine and let them sit for probably like 10 minutes before I ate them. They were total mush! A sticky mess. The oats weren't recognizable at all. I like mine kinda "chewy" where you can recognize each and every oat.

Did I put too much water? Let them sit too long? Is the just adding hot water and letting them sit completely ineffective for this type of oatmeal?

I switched to these vs. the instant packs because I didn't want all that extra sodium. Do I just need to suck it up and deal with the sodium in order to have the right texture for my oatmeal?

you probably put too much water.
  • caramiamom
    caramiamom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just cook them in the microwave for a short time, only 20-30 seconds. If you cook too long its just a blob of goo and bubbles over the top of your cup. Good luck!:smile: