Water??

Options
2»

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Water is a necessity of life. It is of higher importance than food. 3 days without water and your body is in serious trouble.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of WATER a day is a MYTH. You need the equivalent of 8 cups of water a day on average, from any source. These sources can be pure water/tea/coffee/juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc. It does NOT have to be pure neat water!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Water is a great tool for weight loss because people often mistake thirst for hunger. It's also a good way to get hydrated without using up your daily calorie allowance.

Being hydrated is great for your body. It lets your organs functions properly. Regardless of weight loss that's a great thing.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 64 oz a day.
    [Citation needed]

This comes from the 8 cups of water a day recommendation.
    Thanks for pointing out that 8 cups equals 64 ounces. The question remains the same: who told you this?

Thought this was common knowledge that i have heard a million places?! :huh:
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    Ok, the skinny on water. Your body only has 5 quarts of blood in your system and it has a lot to do. It brings food to your cells, takes out the garbage, provides oxygen, carries sophisticated messages and chemicals and floods your cells with goodness. You want to keep your blood flowing smoothly, and dehydration stops all that. You blood gets thick and "sludgy" It puts strain on your kidneys and brain and liver. So, you need to hydrate, but not flood yourself. You should start with a glass of water in the morning, one at each meal, and one before you go to bed. 8 ounces each. And then more if you work out. Instead of 3 cups of coffee, do 1 cup of coffee, one glass of water, one cup of coffee, and the same for drinks, have a beer, or a glass of wine, and then next, have water and THEN have another beer or glass of wine. Don't have the soda, have a glass of water first. Aim for 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, with more when you work out. When you get old like me, your body doesn't tell you its thirsty as well as when you're young, so make it a habit. Everything will be better.

Well put!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

Thanks for pointing out that 8 cups equals 64 ounces. The question remains the same: who told you this?

How about in your food diary for starters? "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water." I can't tell you how many times over the entirety of my life I've heard 8-10 cups of water a day.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

If you read the link it quote glasses of fluid not water and then goes on about how you can get some of your daily intake from foods.

So why do we need to drink 64 OZ of water?
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options

If you read the link it quote glasses of fluid not water and then goes on about how you can get some of your daily intake from foods.

You don't. IMHO
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

You don't. IMHO

We seen to be arguing the same side of the debate then.
  • foodsafetyguru
    foodsafetyguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The short answer is...water in itself does not help you lose weight. However, without water you won't lose weight at all. Water does a lot of things such as:
    - Helps transport nutrients
    - Allows you to regulate body temperature
    - Allows your body to metabolize nutrients effectively
    - Allows you to exercise longer before feeling the "burn" in your muscles
    - May help you feel full

Water is calorie free so it's good from that perspective (Calories in Vs. Calories out determines weight loss). There's no magic amount of water that is right for everyone. Eight glasses of water is the common rule of thumb, however, water comes from almost anything...lettuce, bread, gatorade, etc. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated to some extent. There's no scientific basis for a recomendation of eight glasses of water a day for everyone.

If you exercise more, you'll need to drink more liquid to replenish what you lose from sweating.

Here are some tips I use:
    - always have water with you, take small sips throughout the day. This works better than a couple large glasses all at once
    - drink water (or energy drink) during exercise and immediately after
    - start the day off with a glass of water and finish it off with one before bed

So, like I said, there's no magic amount of water that's right for everyone but these tips work for me.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

Yes, it is. But can ANYONE cite a real source for this? Just because everyone says it doesn't make it true.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

I've read numerous places that you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces each day. So 64 oz would be the recommendation for a 128# person. But I've also read that's just a guideline with various factors at play.

This article seems good, doesn't give an exact amount you should drink, but gives some guidelines
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Another that seems good, again amount of water needed depends on various factors, also includes a couple paragraphs on water and weight control
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water

This one recommends water consumption based on calories consumed, I hadn't seen this before.
    http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/recommended_daily_water_intake.asp
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ok, the skinny on water. Your body only has 5 quarts of blood in your system and it has a lot to do. It brings food to your cells, takes out the garbage, provides oxygen, carries sophisticated messages and chemicals and floods your cells with goodness. You want to keep your blood flowing smoothly, and dehydration stops all that. You blood gets thick and "sludgy" It puts strain on your kidneys and brain and liver. So, you need to hydrate, but not flood yourself. You should start with a glass of water in the morning, one at each meal, and one before you go to bed. 8 ounces each. And then more if you work out. Instead of 3 cups of coffee, do 1 cup of coffee, one glass of water, one cup of coffee, and the same for drinks, have a beer, or a glass of wine, and then next, have water and THEN have another beer or glass of wine. Don't have the soda, have a glass of water first. Aim for 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, with more when you work out. When you get old like me, your body doesn't tell you its thirsty as well as when you're young, so make it a habit. Everything will be better.

Very interesting!!! Could you site the source of information on that? I'd love to share that with others!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing, I just read this GREAT article last night - if you want to get into body building competitions, or look like you're in one! ;)

"You have probably been told that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. That's fine if you want to be like everyone else. While dieting for a competition, many bodybuilders will drink from 1 to 3 gallons of water each and every day. Why? Several reasons. Every cellular transaction in your body occurs in the presence of water."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dulin6.htm

My friend lost A LOT of weight (85lbs total) and now she is a competitive body builder - she told me during competition she drinks 2 gallons a day. I drink 1 -1.5 gallons of water per day, I've lost 37lbs - I also realized I was only getting 600-800 cal per day, so increasing the calories has definitely helped me lose weight. If I ever want to get into competition I know I'll have to drink more water. This has personally worked for me, & I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else *PLEASE* be careful not to over-hydrate as you can damage your body that way as well.

If you have a hard time drinking water, put lemon or lime juice in it (2 tbsp per glass) or you can make Essence water. Here's a video on how to make that
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xswlj6sr7I

If you want some inspiration you can check out my friend's weigh loss journey here
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/32485562
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    [Citation needed]

Yes, it is. But can ANYONE cite a real source for this? Just because everyone says it doesn't make it true.

A guess on where the 8 glasses/day started:
    http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Was just reading this and it also mentions blood flow, talk about learning something new every day!! Love it!!

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview
  • LeighYan91
    Options
    Thanks Guys.
    Im gonna have a good read through all of this late when I have more time.
    Ive started drinking more water in the last few days.
    and feel loads better for it.
    Only down side I weeing like 10 millions times a day haha
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Very interesting!!! Could you site the source of information on that? I'd love to share that with others!

Henry S. Lodge, MD from Younger Nex Year for women.