How do you eat a lot of heathly calories??

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    If you aren't hungry, then don't force yourself. Normally I don't eat my exercise calories back because once I exercise I completely lose my appetite. Sometimes I'll have an apple or banana w/ peanut butter but ehhh.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    bump to read later :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Cheese Of all cheeses low sodium Parmesan cheese provides the most protein with 41.6 grams per 100 gram serving. It is followed by regular whole Parmesan at 35.8 grams of protein per 100 grams. That is 10 grams of protein per ounce, and 3.6 grams per cubic inch. Other cheeses like Romano, Mozzarella, and Swiss provide around 28-30 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. Softer cream cheeses, or spreadable cheeses, provide the least protein with only 16 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Cheeses Highest in Protein.

#2: Mature (Large) Beans The older, larger, and more mature a bean gets the more protein it carries. Mature roasted soybeans (Edamame) have the most providing 39.6 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, or 68 grams per cup. They are followed by mature Lupin beans which provide 15.6 grams per 100 gram serving. That is 25.8 grams per cup. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Beans and legumes highest in protein.

#3: Lean Veal and Beef To get the most protein out of meat, it is best to choose lean cuts. Specifically the top round of veal or beef provides around 36 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, or 93 grams per pound, and 31 grams in a 3 ounce serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Roasted Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds A popular food in the Middle East and East Asia pumpkin and squash seeds provide 33 grams of protein per 100g serving, that is 74.8 grams per cup and 9.2 grams per ounce. Watermelon seeds provide slightly less at 28 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. If you can't find these seeds in your local supermarket you will surely find them in Middle Eastern or East Asian specialty stores. Alternatively, you can also save any pumpkin, squash, and watermelon seeds you have and roast them in your oven. The seeds are typically consumed by cracking the outer shell and eating the seed inside. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Seeds and Nuts with the Fewest Calories.

#5: Lean Meats (Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Turkey) Most lean meats provide around 30 grams of protein (30%) in a 100 gram serving. Chicken broilers have the most with 32.8 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, which is 21 grams per pound, and 27 grams in half a chicken breast. Pork loin and chops have 30 grams per 100 gram serving or 19.2 grams of protein per chop. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Fish (Tuna, Anchovies, Salmon) Fish are becoming more popular as knowledge spreads on the value of their fats and oils. As for protein Yellowfin Tuna provides the most with 30 grams per 100 gram serving, or about 8 grams per ounce. It is followed by Anchovies(29g), Salmon(27g), Halibut(27g), Snapper(26g), and Tilapia(26g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Fish Eggs (Roe and Caviar) Caviar and fish eggs are most often eaten as a garnish or spread. A sampling of fish roe (eggs) from a variety of species found they provide 28.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving. That is 8 grams of protein per ounce. Caviar will provide 24 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving or 6.9 grams per ounce. Chicken eggs, by comparison, only offer 13.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving, or 6.3 grams of protein per egg. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Yeast Extract Spread (aka: Marmite) Yeast extract spreads are popular in Britain and Europe, and have started to gain popularity in the U.S. A good vegan source of vitamin B12, the spread also packs a lot of protein. One hundred grams provides 27.8 grams of protein, that is 1.7 grams per teaspoon. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Lobster and Crab Crab and lobster are most commonly served baked, steamed, or in bisque. A 100g serving of lobster contains 26.4 grams of protein, or 43 grams per lobster. Crab provides a little less with 19.4 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Lentils, Pulses, and Peanuts Lentils, pulses, and peanuts (a legume) are a great vegan source of protein. Peanuts provide the most protein with 23.7 grams per 100 gram serving or 6.6 grams per ounce, 0.2 grams per peanut. Lentils provide the most protein when consumed raw at 25.8 grams per 100 gram serving, and 9 grams per 100g serving cooked (17.9 grams of protein per cup). Click

THIS
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    You don't necessarily have to eat back calories in a healthy way...if you're done exercise for the day, the effect of "crappy" food isn't going to be that extreme for the rest of the day. A lot of my exercise calories end up going to sweets because I can't refuse them...they don't hurt if they're within limits and you stay under calorie goal

Wrong. Just because you burned off the calories doesn't mean you're not hanging onto too many carbs, or saturated fats, or sodium. This is bad bad advice.

I would not apply this advise to daily eating. That being said, if you can have a "cheat day" where you eat unhealthy food (like greasy pizza) but still stay in your calorie range then you're better off satisfying the craving then losing control and having a big bender.

I don't have cheat days or cheat meals. I eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat it. I eat it in moderation. There's NOTHING wrong with allowing yourself a "treat" each and every day. As long as you are staying within your calories (and macros if those are important to you - some people focus a lot on them and some people don't worry too much about them) - allowing yourself a treat each and every day won't derail your weight loss. I allow myself whatever I want each day - as long as I can fit it into my calories and such... why not?

This is my life and not a diet. I refuse to make any food off limits. Learning to eat things in moderation is key.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    my life was so much easier the first 20pounds without calorie counting, lol but I counting has its advantages as well. nuts have plenty good fats and plenty calories to boot. 1-2servings and you will have a nice bit of extra calories for the day. yogurt is low cal, but can give you something extra, and eggs (most are 70calories. and this sounds weird but bacon. people forget about bacon (at least I did) it doesn't have any carbs (few if any) but plenty protein and not high in cals just watch the fat. and when in doubt go for a protein bar, or i like to have 1-2scoops of a whey protein (powder) shake. can never go wrong with a fruit salad (those sugars are good) or anything with leafy greens. and don't beat yourself up about a certain number, you can always get away with eating a higher volume of fruits/veggies and feel full vs. eating very little and it being junk
  • Cheese Of all cheeses low sodium Parmesan cheese provides the most protein with 41.6 grams per 100 gram serving. It is followed by regular whole Parmesan at 35.8 grams of protein per 100 grams. That is 10 grams of protein per ounce, and 3.6 grams per cubic inch. Other cheeses like Romano, Mozzarella, and Swiss provide around 28-30 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. Softer cream cheeses, or spreadable cheeses, provide the least protein with only 16 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Cheeses Highest in Protein.

#2: Mature (Large) Beans The older, larger, and more mature a bean gets the more protein it carries. Mature roasted soybeans (Edamame) have the most providing 39.6 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, or 68 grams per cup. They are followed by mature Lupin beans which provide 15.6 grams per 100 gram serving. That is 25.8 grams per cup. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Beans and legumes highest in protein.

#3: Lean Veal and Beef To get the most protein out of meat, it is best to choose lean cuts. Specifically the top round of veal or beef provides around 36 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, or 93 grams per pound, and 31 grams in a 3 ounce serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Roasted Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds A popular food in the Middle East and East Asia pumpkin and squash seeds provide 33 grams of protein per 100g serving, that is 74.8 grams per cup and 9.2 grams per ounce. Watermelon seeds provide slightly less at 28 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. If you can't find these seeds in your local supermarket you will surely find them in Middle Eastern or East Asian specialty stores. Alternatively, you can also save any pumpkin, squash, and watermelon seeds you have and roast them in your oven. The seeds are typically consumed by cracking the outer shell and eating the seed inside. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Seeds and Nuts with the Fewest Calories.

#5: Lean Meats (Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Turkey) Most lean meats provide around 30 grams of protein (30%) in a 100 gram serving. Chicken broilers have the most with 32.8 grams of protein per 100 gram serving, which is 21 grams per pound, and 27 grams in half a chicken breast. Pork loin and chops have 30 grams per 100 gram serving or 19.2 grams of protein per chop. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Fish (Tuna, Anchovies, Salmon) Fish are becoming more popular as knowledge spreads on the value of their fats and oils. As for protein Yellowfin Tuna provides the most with 30 grams per 100 gram serving, or about 8 grams per ounce. It is followed by Anchovies(29g), Salmon(27g), Halibut(27g), Snapper(26g), and Tilapia(26g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Fish Eggs (Roe and Caviar) Caviar and fish eggs are most often eaten as a garnish or spread. A sampling of fish roe (eggs) from a variety of species found they provide 28.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving. That is 8 grams of protein per ounce. Caviar will provide 24 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving or 6.9 grams per ounce. Chicken eggs, by comparison, only offer 13.6 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving, or 6.3 grams of protein per egg. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Yeast Extract Spread (aka: Marmite) Yeast extract spreads are popular in Britain and Europe, and have started to gain popularity in the U.S. A good vegan source of vitamin B12, the spread also packs a lot of protein. One hundred grams provides 27.8 grams of protein, that is 1.7 grams per teaspoon. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Lobster and Crab Crab and lobster are most commonly served baked, steamed, or in bisque. A 100g serving of lobster contains 26.4 grams of protein, or 43 grams per lobster. Crab provides a little less with 19.4 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Lentils, Pulses, and Peanuts Lentils, pulses, and peanuts (a legume) are a great vegan source of protein. Peanuts provide the most protein with 23.7 grams per 100 gram serving or 6.6 grams per ounce, 0.2 grams per peanut. Lentils provide the most protein when consumed raw at 25.8 grams per 100 gram serving, and 9 grams per 100g serving cooked (17.9 grams of protein per cup). Click
    bump this
    I never knew peanut butter was high in calories, must stay away from it!
  • QFT
    Cheese Of all cheeses low sodium Parmesan cheese provides the most protein with 41.6 grams per 100 gram serving. It is followed by regular whole Parmesan at 35.8 grams of protein per 100 grams. That is 10 grams of protein per ounce, and 3.6 grams per cubic inch. Other cheeses like Romano, Mozzarella, and Swiss provide around 28-30 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. Softer cream cheeses, or spreadable cheeses, provide the least protein with only 16 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts. Cheeses Highest in Protein.

THIS
  • chevy88grl

what defines too many carbs, sat fats or sodium, besides an amount that is hindering your ability to get in adequate protein?

MFP tabulates all the recommended levels for these for you (presumably based off FDA guidelines.) and you can track any or all of them. Too many carbs can hinder weight loss, too much sodium causes water retention, high blood pressure etc. Everything in moderation!

I eat close to 300g of carbs a day. I've lost 60lbs and I've kept it off for over a year.

I've never watched my sodium. I don't have high blood pressure - actually, mine tends to be on the low side. I've had blood work done and all kinds of tests done... I'm in "excellent health" with "textbook perfect" test results.

While people with some medical conditions do have to watch their carbs, carbs alone won't make you fat. As for sodium, not everyone is affected by sodium.

Please, do not generalize weight loss. We are ALL different and what works for one person - may or may not work for another. Please do not act like this is a black and white thing with only one set of answers.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    "#9: Lobster and Crab Crab and lobster are most commonly served baked, steamed, or in bisque. A 100g serving of lobster contains 26.4 grams of protein, or 43 grams per lobster. Crab provides a little less with 19.4 grams per 100 gram serving. Click to see complete nutrition facts. "

Yummy! Lobster...with drawn butter *ducks*
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    what defines too many carbs, sat fats or sodium, besides an amount that is hindering your ability to get in adequate protein?

MFP tabulates all the recommended levels for these for you (presumably based off FDA guidelines.) and you can track any or all of them. Too many carbs can hinder weight loss, too much sodium causes water retention, high blood pressure etc. Everything in moderation!

I eat close to 300g of carbs a day. I've lost 60lbs and I've kept it off for over a year.

I've never watched my sodium. I don't have high blood pressure - actually, mine tends to be on the low side. I've had blood work done and all kinds of tests done... I'm in "excellent health" with "textbook perfect" test results.

While people with some medical conditions do have to watch their carbs, carbs alone won't make you fat. As for sodium, not everyone is affected by sodium.

Please, do not generalize weight loss. We are ALL different and what works for one person - may or may not work for another. Please do not act like this is a black and white thing with only one set of answers.
    Amen. My blood pressure is 103/59. I stopped tracking sodium after an entire month in the "red" according to MFP's suggestions. Also, I love carbs.
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    My dietician says you don't eat your exercise calories. That was the point of burning them off. If you're exercising hard and you're starving, eat an extra ounce or two of protein, she said. Weight Watchers used to let you eat half of your exercise calories, but it was optional.
  • agthorn
    My dietician says you don't eat your exercise calories. That was the point of burning them off. If you're exercising hard and you're starving, eat an extra ounce or two of protein, she said. Weight Watchers used to let you eat half of your exercise calories, but it was optional.
    Not to threadjack, but you obviously didn't explain to your dietician that MFP already calculates your calorie deficit to meet your weight loss goal before you log one second of exercise.
  • chevy88grl

This website works differently than other programs. It doesn't think you're going to exercise and has already created a deficit for you in the daily calories it gave you based on all the information you put in. For some people, not eating back the calories they've burned creates too large of a deficit and they don't lose weight (I'm one of those people - I HAVE to eat them back or my caloric intake is just too low).
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    You don't necessarily have to eat back calories in a healthy way...if you're done exercise for the day, the effect of "crappy" food isn't going to be that extreme for the rest of the day. A lot of my exercise calories end up going to sweets because I can't refuse them...they don't hurt if they're within limits and you stay under calorie goal

I'd like to elaborate on the above because it seems like this is causing some issues. This is my opinion of things and I'll try to be concise about it.

Individual food items, OUTSIDE of the context of the entire diet and without considering an individuals intolerances (if any), do not make you fat and are not unhealthy, aside from maybe artificial trans-fats.

You cannot unequivocally state that an orange is always healthier than a scoop of ice cream if you don't know the context of the diet as a whole. Someone who is acutely fat deficient with adequate vitamin C may benefit more from the scoop of ice cream.

Now absurd examples aside: Selecting a diet of "mostly" nutrient rich foods and "some" junk food, in the presence of adequate micronutrients and a caloric deficit with pro/fat sufficiency, is perfectly fine and not detrimental. In fact, I would argue that this is BETTER than a diet consisting of what people tend to think of as "diet" food for the simple fact that it's more palatable (for most people) and more likely to last long term.

No, you probably shouldn't eat snickers bars all day long and expect good results.

But if you execute the plan correctly and you can "fit" a scoop of ice cream or some potato chips along side your healthy foods, then I would recommend it.

Exactly my point. If you're under calorie goal and done exercise for the day, 500 calories from peanut butter and crackers isn't going to be much "better" than a candy bar, assuming you're meeting minimums but not going too far over in carbs or fat.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Not to threadjack, but you obviously didn't explain to your dietician that MFP already calculates your calorie deficit to meet your weight loss goal before you log one second of exercise.
    Yeah this is correct...I'm 18, physically active, and trying to lose half a pound per week, and MFP has me eating 1900 calories/day. Now if I'm eating 1900 calories per day and doing a ton of exercise, I'm just not going to get my body enough nutrients to provide energy and rebuild
  • Those who advocate eating junk food are not encouraging or advocating lifestyle change. It's the junk food that got you overweight in the first place right? Steer clear of empty calories and foods that cause disease and sickness. Clean, healthy eating has to be the first choice. I eat nuts, seeds, and lower fat cheeses to make up my calories. It shouldn't be a quick fix diet, but a lifestyle change.
  • Everyone has given really good suggestions....I keep baggies with raw almonds and dried fruit in my purse for snacks on the go! That way if I am running errands, or running late...I have a great sourse of protein, healthy carbs and fiber at hand! I don't over eat or skip meals anymore!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Those who advocate eating junk food are not encouraging or advocating lifestyle change. It's the junk food that got you overweight in the first place right? Steer clear of empty calories and foods that cause disease and sickness. Clean, healthy eating has to be the first choice. I eat nuts, seeds, and lower fat cheeses to make up my calories. It shouldn't be a quick fix diet, but a lifestyle change.

no single food choice makes someone overweight, eating in a consistent surplus does. Yes, "junk food" is typically less satiating, but you can still fit it into your daily diet in moderation with no ill effects

can you elaborate what foods cause disease and sickness?
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member

bad idea

I agree with this but I have to ask you Dave is this really what you look like? Your pictures makes me feel like if we zoomed out you would be in white pants leaning over a hotel balcony with a very thing big breasted latino lady sun bathing next to you on the balcony. LOL I don't know why though
  • agthorn
    Those who advocate eating junk food are not encouraging or advocating lifestyle change. It's the junk food that got you overweight in the first place right? Steer clear of empty calories and foods that cause disease and sickness. Clean, healthy eating has to be the first choice. I eat nuts, seeds, and lower fat cheeses to make up my calories. It shouldn't be a quick fix diet, but a lifestyle change.
    Junk food doesn't make you overweight, too many calories makes you overweight. And the whole point about the lifestyle change is correct, but most people can't or don't want to make blanket cuts to foods - it's just not sustainable and it's why most people aren't successful at "dieting." The only foods that should be on the "no" list are the ones that are there for medical reasons (allergies, etc - I personally avoid raw bell peppers because they give me wicked heartburn). The REAL long term lifestyle change comes in learning how to balance healthy foods with the foods you love to eat.