I live and so cal and still get depressed in winter.

Options
We have had a really cold winter this yr. day temps are good enough to get out and walk outside but when I work a 12 hr shift 3 days a week I see no sunlight. The short days are hard. I am not a morning person so by the time I get up and out it seems I have only 6 hrs and the day is gone. I have little motivation to exercise. I have this same cycle every winter. btw all ready on anti depressants been on them for 3 yrs but want to wean off not increase. I think I just hate winter. On top of it I have hypothyroid so I am always freezing and my tsh is fine. Wish I could find a way to feel better in winter. I guess winter just compounds my underlying depression that I don't feel as much in summer and spring. I am gonna try exercising even when I don't feel like it that might help.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    get up before noon. If you want to see the sun, that is.
  • krkeefer
    krkeefer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nature Made: Super B Complex & D3 5,000 I.U. gel caps? Also maybe add a 500mg Magnesium supplement & a Multi-Vitamin. You should consider getting your vitamin levels checked. . .that may be your issue if this is an annual cycle of seasonal affect disorder? You should talk to your physician about having a few levels checked. Also, there are special lights for this as well. My best friend picked one up at her local drug store. Hope that helps =) Best of luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    There is no need for drugs, if you're needing more sunlight, get out of bed earlier. It will improve your mood. Depression wants to hide in bed, but it's hugely beneficial to get up, get outside, get moving.

I've lived where it is actually cold (Lake Tahoe). This (So Cal) isn't cold. Even with the crazy wind, this is not a cold place. That is an excuse.

I'm trying to be firm with you because I have sufferend from depression and I know how hard it can be, but getting up and out of bed is massively important and can change a lot. Try that first.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is no need for drugs, if you're needing more sunlight, get out of bed earlier. It will improve your mood. Depression wants to hide in bed, but it's hugely beneficial to get up, get outside, get moving.

I've lived where it is actually cold (Lake Tahoe). This (So Cal) isn't cold. Even with the crazy wind, this is not a cold place. That is an excuse.

I'm trying to be firm with you because I have sufferend from depression and I know how hard it can be, but getting up and out of bed is massively important and can change a lot. Try that first.

It sounds like getting up earlier might not be an option due to work schedule.

Have you tried taking melatonin? I live in NorCal & we have tons of fog, all day from like late oct to early may & found it really helpful.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

this is what I saw,and was responding to.
    I am not a morning person so by the time I get up and out it seems I have only 6 hrs and the day is gone.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Try living in Seattle. :laugh:
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nature Made: Super B Complex & D3 5,000 I.U. gel caps? Also maybe add a 500mg Magnesium supplement & a Multi-Vitamin. You should consider getting your vitamin levels checked. . .that may be your issue if this is an annual cycle of seasonal affect disorder? You should talk to your physician about having a few levels checked. Also, there are special lights for this as well. My best friend picked one up at her local drug store. Hope that helps =) Best of luck!

Sound like good suggestions. Also, if you lack energy and motivation, ginseng might also help to get you that natural zip to get out of bed.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options

this is what I saw,and was responding to.
    I am not a morning person so by the time I get up and out it seems I have only 6 hrs and the day is gone.

OP also said they work 3 12hr days a week, I know that would f--- up my sleep schedule something fierce, lol.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a light box. I've heard wonderful reviews from those suffering from SAD.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely can help. That's the #1 way I fight against depression, myself. Setting small, manageable goals is the key to success when motivation is affected by depression.

I find that having bright lights around during the winter months helps me psychologically. I used to have a lava lamp by my desk at work, and would stare into it and relax if I felt a wave of sadness coming on. Now I have a lamp that my boss bought me for $20, and it is supposed to mimic natural light. It makes me feel a bit better.

I've also tried to associate darkness and cold with fun things: different flavourful teas, candles, etc. Basically, anything I can do to celebrate the darkness instead of letting it get me down.

Good luck -- I hope you feel better soon! The days are getting longer now!
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get up early on work days at 530 a.m. and get home at 8 p.m. stuck in a building all day. When off I get up at 9 a.m. and I walk outside an hr or so. But I just don't feel good in winter can't get as much done just generally depressed more. I didn't think i so cal it would be due to lack of light and with my regular outdoor activity. I am on a low does med and everytime I try to get off bad side effects my dr says it might be genetic I might need it. See 3 of my past relatives had sever depression, including my mother. No good reason to feel depressed honestly. I just never feel like I get balance Honestly I starting to believe 12 hr shifts arent healthy but many of my friends thrive with this schedule. i cant imagine a 5 day a week schedule being any better. Right now I am sick so I feel so depressed. I honestly expect a lot out of myself and when I can't go go go I hate it.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Go tanning. . I normally HATE the idea of cancer in a box, but it helps seasonal acquired depression . . For some. Good luck!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can you make it so that you sleep in the afternoon and evening, wake up before going to work, and then stay up through the sunny part of the day when you get home from work?
    I live in Seattle, and this time of the year is horrible, so I understand what you are feeling. Here, no matter when I sleep, I never get to see the sun. Sigh.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you work 12 hours they have to give you your hour lunch and breaks. Why not take your lunch to take a walk and then eat during your breaks. I have to do that many times more because I know if I actually clock out for lunch I will end up being called back in. In order to be able to take a lunch at all, I eat slightly earlier during my break. I don't need a whole hour anyway. Fifteen minutes is plenty.

I understand the winter depression, I know plenty of people with it but I think you just have to try to make your world work for you. I ialso hate leaving from work and it's already pitch dark. I feel like I can't get my grocery shopping done except on the weekend.

Hope this helps in some way.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you are not alone. I can't stress it enough, exercise is your best bet! If I fall into a deep place my dog still needs to be walked which gets me walking and clearing my mind. I tried meds but they made me sleepy, IF You have been on the same medication for 3 years, possible ask to try something new. I hope you feel better.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a light box -- one that is made specifically for SAD, and not one that is made for "waking up" or one that is less than 10,000 LUX. And/Or try some Vitamin D pills and/or Vitamin B complex and/or fish oil. All of these things are known to help some people with SAD and SAD symptoms. And, if it can help get you just a little more energy and a little less depressed, you may be able to use that to get more exercise in, which in turn can also help significantly with SAD. (Personally, I was the person who hated people who would tell me to "just exercise" to get more energy and lessen my depression. If I had the energy and lack of depression to exercise, I wouldn't need the exercise to get more energy and lessen my depression. But, after finally getting treatment for a very real problem -- sleep apnea in my case -- and getting enough energy to actually exercise, I could see the benefits of exercise. But the reality was, until I treated the original problem, no amount of attempting to exercise was going to do **** other than make me feel like even more crap because I didn't have enough energy to "take care of myself." So, if you have the energy to get in even 10 or 20 minutes of exercise, do it. If there's something that's preventing even that (or, if your getting that but still feeling a lack of energy and/or depression), find OTHER things that can help. Be it vitamins, light therapy, medications, whatever. Exercise is wonderful and miraculous. But sometimes it really isn't the only (or even best) solution.

I don't recommend tanning -- the specific UV rays that you need to help combat SAD are the UV rays that the tanning beds block out (because they are more likely to cause sun burn). So, you are still risking skin cancer and ugly skin, without much help for SAD. (I know there are people who swear by this technique -- but, I'd guess it's a placebo effect; or possibly someone who wants it to work to justify using a tanning bed -- there is absolutely NO scientific basis for it to help with SAD (and a lot against it), and the dangers and risks are well known. And, if, for whatever reason, this really is the only thing that will work, it's probably best to try the other options first, given the significantly lower risks they carry.)
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a light box. I've heard wonderful reviews from those suffering from SAD.

I have one and it's really helpful. It has made a huge difference. I turn it on while still in bed.
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of this advise. I agree I need to exercise more. I have been working more to make money for holidays and therefore foregoing the normal exercise I would get at the gym. It is all about balance. My 12 hr shifts only allow for 30 mins so going outside isnt worth it. we signed a wavier to not have the 1 hr. Plus I'm actually overdoing it on those days. It is one of the only times to sit at lunch so walking isn't a good idea. I think it is just wrong activity a super long day with no outdoor time is getting me out of balance. Today is in the 70's and I have been up and about and feel great it is insane how much weather and light play on my mood it's intense.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do try a light box, and maybe have your vitamin D levels checked.

Low vitamin D can be associated with depression and SAD--especially if you aren't getting enough vitamin D from sunlight sources in the fall/winter months.
    Good luck!