20lbs?

Options
does 20 pounds even make you look different is that even a reasonable goal when you need to lose lots more i mean when you have like 100 plus to lose does 20 pounds even make a dent

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much difference it makes in your looks - probably depends on the person but I would think it would make a difference on anyone. Just think if you have 100 pounds to lose that's 20% of it gone. Anyway you aren't going to lose 100 without losing 20 first...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    20 lbs would be the difference in at least one dress size (2 for me, but I was only about 30 lbs overweight). How much it shows would depend on several things, including height and starting weight. But if you have 100 lbs to lose 20 is 1/5 of the way there!

I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to see the difference, but even if the first 20 lbs didn't show it would ease the strain on your heart and joints by 20 lbs.
  • flabwillbefab
    Options
    i am about 3 pounds away from my first 20 gone,,,yay!!!! and i am one size pants down,,,, so yes, it makes difference, but its true, if you wanna loose 100, and i do too, we have to go by 20's,,,and we can do it!!!!
    and you know what? if you lost 20 pounds, and do not have any comments back on it, who cares?? what matthers, is you worked hard for the 20 first ones, and soon enough, people will notice, what really matther, is that you, YOU, appreciate what youre doing for YOU!!!!! you can do it!!! first 20 didnt come in a day,,we noticed them after what? 30-50 pouds extra came on,,right? well i thing its the same in reverse,,,, you know you lost the,, and its giving you the boost to lose another 20, when the comments/notifications, will come by dozens!!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you have 100 to lose, 20 will certainly make a dent. It may not be as noticeable as you would like, but it's part of the process.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    20 pounds is significant and 20 pounds when you have 100 to lose is still 20 pounds less than right now. :)
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I don't know how much difference it makes in your looks - probably depends on the person but I would think it would make a difference on anyone. Just think if you have 100 pounds to lose that's 20% of it gone. Anyway you aren't going to lose 100 without losing 20 first...

Exactly! sometimes I think the first 20 lbs are the most noticeable! Also, small realistic goals sometimes make it easier. One bite of the elephant at a time :laugh:
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I've seen before and after pics where people were 300-400+ and lost 20 pounds. Even at that weight the loss is noticeable. Sometimes it is easier to take weight loss one slow step at a time.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I can see a tiny difference even with 15 pounds gone and I have 100-ish left to lose. But what really makes the difference for me is the process of losing that 15 and how exercising every day is making me feel better and how much I can already do compared to six weeks ago. I never thought I'd jog, even when I was skinny, not with my back problems, but I'm jogging now and a couple times for very short periods I actually ran full out. That felt better than dropping two clothing sizes would have. Although I'm looking forward to dropping sizes, too, don't get me wrong!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    20 pounds will make a dent for sure. Go to the grocery store and carry around two ten pound bags of potatoes for awhile... that would all be weight that was effecting your feet, your back, your entire body...

I also think it is good to set reasonable goals.

Good luck!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started out needing to lose 192 lbs. The first 30 lbs made a big dent. I think even in the photo with just 11 lbs gone you can see a difference. http://www.fitharts.com/2011/06/03/30-lbs-gone-with-pics/
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    20lbs is huge on me. It's the difference between me wearing a size 10 and a size 6. I have a small frame so any extra poundage really shows on my body.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As a bigger girl, not much. BUT it does make me feel better being 20lb lighter.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have A LOT to lose...A LOT. I have lost 25 lbs and it's a HUGE difference on me. Yes, that's more than your question of 20...but it's close. For me, 25 is two pants sizes and almost two shirt sizes. The good thing about 20 or 25 is that, for those of us who have 100 or more to lose, WE HAVE TO LOSE THAT FIRST 20 OR 25 TO EVER GET TO 100 SO IT'S A HUGE MILESTONE!!!

Look at my profile pictures and see if you can see a difference...I CAN but perhaps I flatter myself. That was taken at 24 lbs, I think.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It made a difference for me! Smaller clothes and I feel better. Best of all it gives me hope that I CAN do this. Sometimes it helps to think of the goal in smaller increments. Even though my ticker shows my main goal, I try and focus on a little at a time. Right now it is 10 more pounds.