Keeping it a secret.

Options
Is it weird that I want to keep my weight loss plan and everything from my family. I excersise when no one is around because I don't want them to know.I want them to notice me loosing weight. I don't want them to expect me to be losing weight if I don't manage to do it. I want to surprise them. My entire family has weight problems and I want them to see that if I can do it they can do it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want them to notice. anyone get what I'm trying to say?

Replies

• Willyable
    Options
    I do, although, the reason I don't like to tell people, because they would say, "here we go again".
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The reason I tend to keep what I am doing to myself is because everyone has to have an opinion on what I am doing. My family (who also have weight problems) will sit there and eat pizza and have the nerve to ask how I can eat a dinner so full of carbs when I'm eat 4 oz. of wheat pasta!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yup. When I lived at home a million years ago I did the same thing. Kept a food log hidden under the mattress and would sneak out of the house to take walks. Also managed to convince my mom that I was drinking skim milk because I liked the taste. (total lie) ;)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. I was like that too. I think it's a fear of failure. If no one knows you're trying to lose and you don't, then no one knows you failed either. I don't think there's anything wrong with that until it starts holding you back from actually reaching your goals.
  • bjmmcw98
    Options
    I am the same way. When I first started I didnt tell anyone either. My husband and co-workers just started noticing the inches and what I was eating. It was really nice to get the feedback.
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That makes total sense to me! Maybe find a few friends you can talk to who can support you and keep you accountable :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand and think it's a very good idea. I read an article recently that advocated not announcing weight loss plans to friends and relatives because often when you announce it others tend to watch you and make comments if you eat something high calorie or not healthy, and let's face it we all do occasionally. Everyone needs a treat now and then.

But I think it's a good idea for the reasons you state too. Just so people will notice it without expecting it.

Good luck to you!
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The only person who knows that i am trying to loose weight is the bf. So not weird at all. You have to do what you have to do!
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    The reason I tend to keep what I am doing to myself is because everyone has to have an opinion on what I am doing. My family (who also have weight problems) will sit there and eat pizza and have the nerve to ask how I can eat a dinner so full of carbs when I'm eat 4 oz. of wheat pasta!

Same here. But instead of keeping it from them I announced it loud and clear that I'm going to lose weight, eat right, and exercise. And if they don't like it they can keep their mouths shut. I am doing this to be healthier, and once the weight is gone my mom (who is 300+) will see that she too, can lose the weight and feel better about herself. They don't need to judge us BECAUSE we're choosing a more healthy lifestyle.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do, although, the reason I don't like to tell people, because they would say, "here we go again".

This is me too. I've started and stopped so many times that I know that's what they're thinking...
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ..I don't want them to expect me to be losing weight if I don't manage to do it. I want to surprise them. My entire family has weight problems and I want them to see that if I can do it they can do it...

To answer your post IMHO - it's not weird to do whatever it takes to keep motivated. If you feel that keeping this to yourself motivates you to continue until you reach your goals, then do it. No holds barred. Go go go!

HOWEVER, it's important to be cautious in doing this. A huge part to the mentality of keeping this to yourself is because it gives you the option to fail. If you are 100% that I've pegged you wrong, then flame me in this thread. FLAME ME LIKE THE HUMAN TORCH!
    I only make mention of this because in the past I would keep my exercise and progress secret, but feel terrible when I expected people to see my results and yet they never did. It had the opposite affect on me.

So a happy medium would be this - keep it a secret to your family, but LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES! You'll always get support from your pals here on MFP!
  • megganjana
    megganjana Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I plan on letting all of my MFP friends know how I'm doing. :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Once they see your success the watching and comments will start (voice of experience) but you will already have some runs on the board. Good luck. Turn to your MFP mates to stay motivated and to negate some of the effects of real life.
  • freshstartmum
    freshstartmum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No not wierd plan to do the same myself. People love to put obstacles in your way so if you can motivate yourself enough go for it.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get what you are trying to say and it's not weird at all. I'm a private person... so I can understand your reasoning. If someone does notice than I'm happy. But I don't want to actively tell people because some people I honestly think would rather see me fat.

We don't need any sabotagers. :bigsmile:
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i haven't told any of my best friends. i guess for me it was the fact that i am the only one that needed to lose weight while they are all skinny.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I guess that I am the opposite because I tell everyone I know about MFP along with what I am doing to make a better me. The people in my life support me when I am down and encourage me when I need a lift personally I could imagine hiding that from my loved ones.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    That's actually a really good idea. Read this article ( http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/14/health/lose-weight-mouth-shut-secret/index.html ) a while back.

Good on you!
  • bobbyhalifax
    bobbyhalifax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. I lost 40 pounds about 4 years ago and I didn't make it known that I was working out or trying to eat healthy. I just did it. Obviously the people around me noticed and it felt really good when they did. It gave me a reason to keep going when someone would tell me that I was looking good or that they could see the changes I have made in my lifestyle.

I also developed a hobby (running) which I still love today. I now run many races a year and have inspired some of my friends to do the same thing. Keep up the good work and good luck!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I want to keep my weight loss plan and everything from my family. I excersise when no one is around because I don't want them to know.I want them to notice me loosing weight. I don't want them to expect me to be losing weight if I don't manage to do it. I want to surprise them. My entire family has weight problems and I want them to see that if I can do it they can do it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want them to notice. anyone get what I'm trying to say?

They'll notice alright. Be ready for a multitude of responses when they do notice. My mom told me I was getting too skinny when i was 5'6 150lbs. 25% body fat, size 12 bridesmaid dress. uh, hello? That's not what I consider skinny. It's skinny compared to her but not skinny compared to all the different weight/body composition tools. Aim for a healthy weight/ body fat % and beleive in it fiercely Stay dedicated to your goal. Then when a naysayer comes along you can hear them out and hold fast to your belief that you are doing the right thing in the right way.

The cool thing is you'll have a new image. The weight loss will be because you made lifestyle changes. The results of your wieght loss plan will become your maintenence standard and people will notice that unlike your family, you achieved and remain at a healthy weight.

People say its like my brother is adopted bacause he has perfect vision and the rest of my family doesn't. Well, people now say it's like I'm adopted because I'm not big like the rest of my family.