Eat before a run?

Options
I'm strongly considering adding an early morning run to my fitness regimen. When I first wake up, though, I am usually starving. For the morning runners out there, do you breakfast before or after your run?

Replies

• benzzito
    Options
    I usually get a protein shake or drink orange juice before I run in the morning. I can't have anything heavy. But after the run I like having a good breakfast.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    A banana is perfect IMO
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Drink of water and half a banana before going. If a very long run, I take along a trail mix.

Pam
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    I eat a little bit of something (even if it's just a few triscuits or a piece of fruit) and I always have a cup of coffee. I have to have something in my stomach when I run, though apparently a lot of runners have trouble with eating + running
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If the hunger pangs are distracting, feed them!

When I run in the AM, the only thing I eat is 1 packet of Gu powergel, which is 100 cals. That's more superstition than anything else, though, because out bodies have a couple of thousand calories of energy stored in glycogen so it's available for "instant" use. I also down 8 oz of water before a run because that helps ensure that the Gu gets digested properly (or so it implies on the package)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally, I cannot eat before I work out. But if you are starving, definitely eat a little something!
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I know I can go farther and faster when I eat before I run! But that's usually at least 30 min before I actually take off. I just make a smoothie or eat some oatmeal; just enough to "stick."
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I do my best running after my evening meal! I have always thought this odd though!!!
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree, water, banana or even a breakfast bar.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach for me. If I'm going over 10 or 11 miles, I bring along a gel or some Clif Bloks.

I race on empty stomach - even marathons. If I have a crazy long wait before the race (NYC or Boston), up at 6:00 Am, not running until 10:00 AM, then I'll eat some bloks, gummy bears or a Powerbar.

I'll drink a few ounces of water, but hydration needs should be addressed the night before (morning of is too late).
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've I'm not running for more than an hour after I wake up - I'll have a protein shake, my regular breakfast goto. If I'm running right away, I do nothing. I generally only use Ultima in my water and maybe some gummy bears if I'm running over 10 miles. However, I do plan the night before to make sure I've fueled my body properly before the AM run, generally with a whey drink close to bed time or something similar that is easy to digest and will still stick with me come morning.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I must eat. I eat eggs and have coffee. Before a long run, (more than 10 miles) I have almond butter too.

I'm the type of person that gets actually hungry during workouts. Even intense or long ones and I absolutely hate being hungry. It's distracting. Plus, if I don't eat before I don't have enough time during the day to eat all of my calories back. Win win.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before going for a run. If I do eat, I limit it to a banana.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both ways and found that it just depends. If I force myself to eat when my body is screaming it doesn't want anything, I get in trouble. But if I don't eat anything before the run, I do bring something along so I don't faint or anything like that.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I eat a little. Especially if it's a longer run, I've found that the carbs actually do help with having energy to run. BIG difference in trying to run 8 miles on an almost-empty stomach, vs. after eating potatoes. I try not to eat anything too heavy though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I used to run before breakfast, but now I don't had the reserves, I have to eat before running or I get sick at about 8 km.
  • galadrielfx
    Options
    I always have a banana before a run. /find it's enough to keep me going!

S X
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I drink a little water before and eat breakfast after. My morning runs are not long. I used to run a mile every day. Recently “upgraded” to 1.5 mile every second day.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning, first thing I do is drink water and have a small amount of food. Usually a protein or fiber bar, or else I won't have enough energy for my workout.