breastfeeding?

Options
So I am now breastfeeding my second child, as I did with my first as well. With my first and with this pregnancy I gained 50 lbs (yikes!). I lost with both the first 25 lbs instantly, and with my first daughter lost all my weight plus an additional 5 lbs. With this one I weighed 170 going into the hospital, and was down to 145 2 weeks later. Since then, my weight loss has slowed down rapidly- I'm at 142 now. It seems like I lost weight so much faster with my first, wondering what I'm doing wrong?!

Replies

• stephanielindley422
    Options
    Nothing. Every baby/pregnancy/recovery is different. I know they say breastfeeding makes you loose weight, but it didn't for me. I bf'ed my daughter for just over 2 years, and didn't lose a single pound. :/
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nothing :) i Breastfed both my girls and i lost more weight with my 1st than i did with my 2nd and i actually breastfed my 2nd a little longer than my 1st.
  • Renaym
    Options
    I guess my baby is only 5 weeks so I shouldn't be so worried haha I'm just used to being a size 2 and this is killing me!! Never had a prob with my weight in my life, and I'm getting married this summer and worried I'm not going to lose it in time! ;)
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I gained 55 with my first pregnancy, lost 45, got pregnant again when he turned 1 and gained 35 lbs and lost that...and I'm still breastfeeding at 9 months. I don't really bother "adding" the 500 calories for bfing because I'm sure I eat those at the end of the night! My most consistent diet issue has been the end of the day. If anyone has tips, I could use 'em!
  • loisd82
    loisd82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost more weight straight after son no.1 was born than i did with son no. 2 (think there may be a pattern appearing!!) i'm still bf and he's 14 months old. I have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing with my diet, i had no idea about adding 500 cals a day for bf mums?!? i've just been trying to stay within my 1200 cals every day (epic fail over the last 3 days though!!) but try to hit the protein mark every day. He gets most of his nutrients from his food now and just uses the milk for comfort during the day now so i'm not sure how much longer he'll keep wanting me for :(

Do any of you have any good BF foods that enrich the milk but not necessarily the calories? xx
  • Renaym
    Options
    I wish I only knew! I'm wondering if I'm slowing my metabolism down by eating to less of calories, as I have been around 1200 calories as well. With my first I just lost the weight so rapidly and my whole family including myself is all really thin- so I'm surprised I havent lost more weight than I have to tell you the truth :(
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It took a lot longer for me to lose the weight after my 2nd child as well, but I lost more & was thinner than I had been in a long time. The first time I breastfed for 17months, with my daughter it was about 7 months because I had to deploy. After I stopped I continued to drop the weight. I also did a ton of walking & lost 8lbs in 6 wks. I ate more raw food. I really can't think of anything else. I just limited the processed crap to a minimal amount.