Leftover ham

Options
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leftover ham from Christmas dinner. I wanted to make some sort of cassarole but everything I am finding is unhealthy. I may just make omletts for dinner tonight if I can't come up with anything else. Any ideas?

Replies

• MYLOV
    MYLOV Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always make Ham & Bean soup with my leftover holiday hams (even better if there's a ham bone involved). I use dry beans, but canned would work as well. I've got a double batch on the stove right now!

If using dry beans, soak 1lb of Great Northerns (or other white beans - Cannellini beans are great) overnight in a bowl with several inches of water covering.

When you are ready to cook:
    Chop up peeled carrott (2 or so), onion (1 small) & celery (2 stalks or so) and sautee in 1T olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat until soft (5 - 10 min). Stir every minute or so.
    While that is cooking, chop up a few cloves of garlic. Add that to the softened carrott, onion & celery and stir for a minute or so (until you can smell the garlic from the pot).
    Add the beans (and their soaking liquid) (if using canned beans, then open and rinse before adding to the pot)
    Add in your ham (with bone, if you have it).
    Add 6 cups of water to the pot (or however much will fit - leave an inch at the top to have room to stir).
    Throw in a bay leaf or two.
    Bring it all to a boil for a couple of minutes, then lower to a simmer.
    Stir occasionally and cook until the ham falls from the bone, and beans are done. Add more water as it cooks to get the consistency you like. If cooking from dried beans, this may take 2-4 hours, depending on how soupy / saucey you like it. (The longer you cook it, the more the beans break down and turn into sauce....if you cook just until the beans are done, it's more brothy)

Calling the vegetables 1 c each, and assuming 24 oz of ham, this came in right around 350 calories for each of 8 servings when using a bag of dried beans.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    That sounds great! Thank you:smile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    my dad made a really good spilt pea soup with ham tonight!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with the leftover ham from Christmas dinner. I wanted to make some sort of cassarole but everything I am finding is unhealthy. I may just make omletts for dinner tonight if I can't come up with anything else. Any ideas?

Throw it out!!! I had wonderful leftovers so I threw them out, otherwise they would be on my hips!!!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I made skinnytaste's broccoli and macaroni and cheese this evening and added about 8 ounces of diced ham to it. The only other thing I changed up was a mix of 2% cheddar and 2% mozzarella instead of just cheddar. Delicious.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and.html

Final stats per serving (after modifications):
    Calories: 380
    Total Carbs: 45 grams
    Fiber: 3 grams
    Fat: 12 grams
    Protein: 23 grams
    Sodium: 483 milligrams
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I make bean soup too. I use dried navy beans, and soak them over night Toss them in the crockpot with the ham and after a few hours use a potato masher to smash some of the beans to thicken the soup. You can add onion or other veggies, but I like mine with just a little fresh-ground pepper for spice. It's a wonderful comfort food on a winter night.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I like to make deviled ham. Just sub greek yogurt for the mayo.

I also make bean soup with the ham and bone. It's easy and really good.

You could also just wrap it up and freeze it. That's what we're doing with our ham. I just get sick of it after a while, but it's a great thing to have in the freezer.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You could also just wrap it up and freeze it. That's what we're doing with our ham. I just get sick of it after a while, but it's a great thing to have in the freezer.

I have a feeling that's going to happen very soon at our house, probably today, which means I'll need to clean the old ham out of the freezer (I think we still have some left over from Easter! :ohwell: ). 4 straight days of left over ham in one form or another....ready to be done with ham for about a month or so.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I gave it away. Ham is so high in sodium I don't think it is something you should eat more then one day for a special occasion.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Try sparkpeople.com they have great recipes.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I always make Ham & Bean soup with my leftover holiday hams (even better if there's a ham bone involved). I use dry beans, but canned would work as well. I've got a double batch on the stove right now!

If using dry beans, soak 1lb of Great Northerns (or other white beans - Cannellini beans are great) overnight in a bowl with several inches of water covering.

When you are ready to cook:
    Chop up peeled carrott (2 or so), onion (1 small) & celery (2 stalks or so) and sautee in 1T olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat until soft (5 - 10 min). Stir every minute or so.
    While that is cooking, chop up a few cloves of garlic. Add that to the softened carrott, onion & celery and stir for a minute or so (until you can smell the garlic from the pot).
    Add the beans (and their soaking liquid) (if using canned beans, then open and rinse before adding to the pot)
    Add in your ham (with bone, if you have it).
    Add 6 cups of water to the pot (or however much will fit - leave an inch at the top to have room to stir).
    Throw in a bay leaf or two.
    Bring it all to a boil for a couple of minutes, then lower to a simmer.
    Stir occasionally and cook until the ham falls from the bone, and beans are done. Add more water as it cooks to get the consistency you like. If cooking from dried beans, this may take 2-4 hours, depending on how soupy / saucey you like it. (The longer you cook it, the more the beans break down and turn into sauce....if you cook just until the beans are done, it's more brothy)

Calling the vegetables 1 c each, and assuming 24 oz of ham, this came in right around 350 calories for each of 8 servings when using a bag of dried beans.

Thanks! Going to do this with my leftover ham bone.