Holidays....

Options
I worked pretty hard through this holiday. Burned a couple thousand calories working out and left them on the table. That's a personal choice. Avoided the sweets. Ate lean. Stuck to the program. Surprisingly, I got negative feedback for it.

"Hey, cheat days are important." "It's the holidays." "You can restart in Jan." Etc.

Hmmmm. Well, maybe. Or, maybe not. To me, part of this journey and life change is facing and embracing who I actually am.

I am a grotesquely over-indulgent person. It's a sickness, really. And I have it. When I drank, I could drink anyone under the table. When I smoked, I could smoke like a factory chimney. When I ate, you'd have thought pepperoni was more important then the breath of life.

That's who I am. That's who my fight is with. That's who almost killed me. I'm a junkie with anything I enjoy.

Can I take a cheat day? Is it okay just cause it's the holidays? Oh, I don't know. Does a rehabbed alcoholic buy a bottle of scotch on his one year clean anniversary? We know where that's going. Don't we?

These myths of rest days/cheat days... it all depends on who we are at our core. There is no one program that fits us all.

Did you get just get a little sloppy and lazy and put on weight you need off? That's one thing. Did you grow a kid or two or three? Moms, forgive yourselves. What you did is beyond beautiful. Then there are the people with eating disorders. I don't have one so I can't speak to it. But my heart goes out to you. Then, yeah then, there are the junkies, the rehabbed. And, that's me. There are no cheat days. The holidays are just the next day in the week. It has to be that way if I want to live.

My name is Brett. ("Hi Brett") I am an obese man. I have been eating clean and exercising for 20 months.... *Applause*....

Not putting any of my people in any given category. But I will say to all of you, until you face and love who you are, you're NOT making this journey.

Replies

• _JPH_
    _JPH_ Posts: 25
    Options
    So true Brett!
  • kp_88
    kp_88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Brett! I'm Katie an obese woman changing my lifestyle and learning to love my body! I have been in for 3 months! You are great inspiration and support to me! Thank you so much! This was so well put!
  • MeToJem
    Options
    No truer words...Thank you for saying them!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better myself Bro!!! As you know....you and I are in the EXACT same category with this thing, and I applaud you for not giving in on the Holidays (like I did!)...one day of "indulging" leads to another 3 weeks of self loathing and pity (which I am NOW dealing with)!

You have been a great Mentor for me....and although this is a learning process...you continue to get straight A's!!!! I, have always been a good student....but I guess that dreaded F still pops up on occassion....good thing my A's maintain my GPA overall!

Thanks you SOOOOOOO much for your help throughout this thing, and I will seeya at graduation! :)
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this? You are amazing. That is all.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Very well said, Brett!

I know why I missed this... it was in the middle of the night! Errrr... apparently daytime for possums, I suppose!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You're totally right. If it was an addiction before you can't sample here and there. You don't tell a smoker who is trying to quit that one here and there is OK because it's not if it leads to set backs and falling into old habits. Soooo, do what you do!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    You are very wise - you know yourself and are walking your own path to freedom and health. Hang onto that confidence and keep on going. You are doing this!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of badgering other people for their choices. It's THEIR choice. You made your choice and as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters! Glad you did what YOU wanted to do. I know sometimes I veer off my set path and eat something I'm not supposed to, but it's my choice. If you want to do that too it's fine. I see no reason for other people to tell us how to live our lives...it seems that in the fitness department a LOT of people want to make everyone's choices for them. lol
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! We all have different methods that work for us and just because it's the holidays doesn't mean that we all have to gorge until we are sick! I didn't do that either just like you - so we are good :) Happy New Year!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Well said.

That's not my particular story or pattern, but I admire your self-awareness & your resolve to stick to the plan that works for you. That I find inspiring. Thank you.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of badgering other people for their choices. It's THEIR choice. You made your choice and as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters! Glad you did what YOU wanted to do. I know sometimes I veer off my set path and eat something I'm not supposed to, but it's my choice. If you want to do that too it's fine. I see no reason for other people to tell us how to live our lives...it seems that in the fitness department a LOT of people want to make everyone's choices for them. lol

Well written I agree with you on this so much!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-5995442