I Appreciate the Holiday Pudge =)

Options
Well, sort of =)

While I would like to claim that I have enough willpower to remove myself from the statistical 5-10lb weight gain that most American adults experience over the holidays, the fact is that it's not true (I think I managed to not gain anything my first Christmas after dropping weight...but that was the only one!) However, instead of beating myself up every January for all of my temptation-caving, instead I take a look at the following facts:

1. Even with my gain, I am always either at or below what I weighed the previous year. For example, this morning I tipped the scales at 166lbs, which is up 6lbs from what I was maintaining this summer. However, 166lbs would have been a "Glory Be, Hallelujah!" moment 15 months ago. And LAST Christmas I was 8lbs heavier than I am now!
2. My current "heavy weight" and all of the mental implications that come with it used to be my "light weight". What was once a milestone is now borderline unacceptable. What an amazing shift! These are the moments that confirm to me that this journey has been a complete lifestyle transformation, and that I will not go back to my old habits. If I'm feeling gross and puffy after a 6lb gain, then there's no way I'm headed back to +50lbs!
3. Feeling the way my body reacts to too much sugar/carbs/food in general is actually a huge affirmation to me that what I'm doing every day makes a difference. I used to think nothing of how I felt when I ate like this on a more regular basis. Now a weekend of heavy indulging makes me long for less calories, more salads, and an upped protein intake.
4. After every indulgence period I've ever had, I am re-motivated to eat right, exercise, get stronger, and become even more healthy. And it usually takes at least a 5lb gain for me to achieve that. I'm really tall, so if I only put on a pound or two I don't really feel any different. But packing on at least 5lbs in a relatively short period of time lets me really see how it affects my body, and how much more I enjoy my healthier life.

Now, I'm not advocating that this is a brilliant method or is without its dangers. However, for ME, about a once-a-year gain of 5-10lbs serves to re-energize me to the committments I've made, helps me to realize just how far I've come, and sets me up to lose even more weight throughout the year. Sure, I could attempt to skip the holiday pudge altogether, and that is truly my ultimate goal, but meanwhile I will appreciate the fact that it highlights to me so dramatically where my choices have led me thus far.

So, hello again, 166lbs! You were once a delight to me; now you are a temporary annoyance. And I fully anticipate feeling the exact same way next year at 156lbs =) Onward!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    While I would like to claim that I have enough willpower to remove myself from the statistical 5-10lb weight gain that most American adults experience over the holidays, the fact is that it's not true
    Really? I ate everything I wanted on Christmas and still lost weight. To gain that much weight you'd have to overeat during the entire month. Surely most of us have the "willpower" to eat the right amount most days and indulge on special occasions.
  • PinkGamer
    Options
    Very few people gain 5-10 lbs. during the holidays. Most people realistically only gain 1-2 lbs.
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    While I would like to claim that I have enough willpower to remove myself from the statistical 5-10lb weight gain that most American adults experience over the holidays, the fact is that it's not true
    Really? I ate everything I wanted on Christmas and still lost weight. To gain that much weight you'd have to overeat during the entire month. Surely most of us have the "willpower" to eat the right amount most days and indulge on special occasions.

Apparently YOU have never known anyone with an eating disorder. Many of us DON'T have the willpower. And your comment was kind of rude.

Congrats to the original poster for enjoying the holiday indulgences and not fretting about a few pounds We have to live our lives and how awesome is it that you did so and still realized your new lifestyle is preferable to the one you left behind!
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not true Elizabeth...I gained 6lbs over the last 3 days...happens easily for me...will take me a week of strict eating to lose it though
  • bflicker11
    Options
    I LOVE your post. I did gain weight over the holiday BUT my current weight is an awesome weight!!!! I'm really happy at where I'm at and now I can focus on losing the small amount of weight I did gain. It was well worth it!!!!:wink:
  • bflicker11
    Options
    Not true...I gained 6lbs over the last 3 days...happens easily for me...will take me a week of strict eating to lose it though

Me too!!!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    The "statistical 5-10lb weight gain that most American adults experience over the holidays" is self-reported. Meaning, people were asked "how much did you gain over the holidays?" and they said "5-10lbs". They didn't actually weigh themselves.

I weigh the same as I did before the holidays.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I gained about three. and I'm not freaking out, because the sentiments posted here are PERFECT!

I did indulge, but I know how to get back on track, and best of all, I WANT TO. (Get back on track)

I loved this post...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I gained about three. and I'm not freaking out, because the sentiments posted here are PERFECT!

I did indulge, but I know how to get back on track, and best of all, I WANT TO. (Get back on track)

I loved this post...

:smile:
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I gained one or two pounds.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs. But I ate what I wanted on Christmas Eve and Christmas. What I'm most proud of is the fact that I didn't let it turn into a binge. On Monday, I started right back on MFP logging my food and came in under calories. That may sound stupid to some, and I'm inspired by those who had the willpower to curb their desire to live a little over the weekend, but for me, allowing myself a few days of unrestricted eating and then being able to cut myself off... that's amazing for me. I'm really proud of myself. I'm not sure I would have been in a place to do that last year.
  • wendibartel
    Options
    I think this is an excellent way to look at holiday eating as long as we dont keep using this as an everyday excuse.

I was lucky, with 22 diffrent types of cookies, fudge, pumpkin bread, and peanut butter balls all baked or prepared by me I have been able to maintain my current weight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Apparently YOU have never known anyone with an eating disorder. Many of us DON'T have the willpower. And your comment was kind of rude.
    Apparently YOU don't know what the phrase "most of us" means. I'm sorry if you think it's rude for me to point out that in reality, you CANNOT gain 5-10 pounds of fat in a couple of days. If you look at the numbers, it's completely ridiculous. You can certainly gain that much water weight, but not fat.

If you gain 5-10 pounds over the holidays, it's because you think "the holidays" means Thanksgiving through New Year's. If you don't want to stick to your calorie goal for MOST days during the entire month of December, obviously you're going to gain weight, but don't blame the holidays.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. Even with my gain, I am always either at or below what I weighed the previous year. For example, this morning I tipped the scales at 166lbs, which is up 6lbs from what I was maintaining this summer. However, 166lbs would have been a "Glory Be, Hallelujah!" moment 15 months ago. And LAST Christmas I was 8lbs heavier than I am now!
    Right?! I'm like this with pictures now-- before I used to take 20 & delete 19, now I take one & go "eh, there are worse ones", then post it anyway. Somehow the pinchable cheeks / wonky look on my face is -nothing- compared to my old rollypolly pictures, lol.
    2. My current "heavy weight" and all of the mental implications that come with it used to be my "light weight". What was once a milestone is now borderline unacceptable. What an amazing shift! These are the moments that confirm to me that this journey has been a complete lifestyle transformation, and that I will not go back to my old habits. If I'm feeling gross and puffy after a 6lb gain, then there's no way I'm headed back to +50lbs!
    3. Feeling the way my body reacts to too much sugar/carbs/food in general is actually a huge affirmation to me that what I'm doing every day makes a difference. I used to think nothing of how I felt when I ate like this on a more regular basis. Now a weekend of heavy indulging makes me long for less calories, more salads, and an upped protein intake. ay next year at 156lbs =) Onward!

I spend like 2-3 weekends a month away from home where I feel like I just eat & eat & eat all junk, all day. Usually I go right back into my work-routine of food, but it really makes me appreciate "grass" (as my coworkers lovingly call it) more, even if I haven't gained.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I also gained more than 6 pounds over the last week and i didn't feel as if I stuffed myself every minute.

I love this post though because I am feeling seriously guilty and gross but you are so right in that this is still over 10 pounds lighter than last year and I know how to fix it!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    The "holiday gain" is typically 5-10 pounds because that goes from Thanksgiving all the way to New Year's. Many people (myself included) have multiple parties to go to during that time.

Thanksgiving day, work Christmas parties, birthday parties (my birthday, my son's birthday, and my sister's birthday are all at this time), friends' Christmas parties, family Christmas get togethers, New Year's Eve, and most people also have some kind of New Year's day meal. And then there's leftovers....

Yes. It's EASY to over indulge this time of year and pack on an extra 5-10 pounds. Especially when you're a person who has already been obese (or still are) at one point in time. Some people just don't have that switch. I don't...

And I gained 8 pounds in just a few days. I'm aware that a lot of that was the sodium overload (eating foods others prepared and I know they were salty), but it was also just my switch not shutting off. I overate by a minimum of 1,500 calories a day for four or five days. :-x That is a lot of calories and weight... especially when that's the MINIMUM. I know that one day had to be 2,500. It started the moment I opened my eyes (Christmas) after eating candy while stuffing stockings. :-/ It was ugly.
  • bflicker11
    Options
    Apparently YOU don't know what the phrase "most of us" means. I'm sorry if you think it's rude for me to point out that in reality, you CANNOT gain 5-10 pounds of fat in a couple of days. If you look at the numbers, it's completely ridiculous. You can certainly gain that much water weight, but not fat.

If you gain 5-10 pounds over the holidays, it's because you think "the holidays" means Thanksgiving through New Year's. If you don't want to stick to your calorie goal for MOST days during the entire month of December, obviously you're going to gain weight, but don't blame the holidays.

Elizabeth, do you sit on this site all day, waiting for a chance to be nasty? I've seen you in 2 other posts, both acting like an obnoxious know-it-all!!!!
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The "holiday gain" is typically 5-10 pounds because that goes from Thanksgiving all the way to New Year's. Many people (myself included) have multiple parties to go to during that time.

Thanksgiving day, work Christmas parties, birthday parties (my birthday, my son's birthday, and my sister's birthday are all at this time), friends' Christmas parties, family Christmas get togethers, New Year's Eve, and most people also have some kind of New Year's day meal. And then there's leftovers....

Yes. It's EASY to over indulge this time of year and pack on an extra 5-10 pounds. Especially when you're a person who has already been obese (or still are) at one point in time.

This, so much! From november to february, I have like 20 birthday parties to go to. I cook Thanksgiving for ~60, thats a lot of taste-testing, even if I make healthier options & leave the twice baked potatoes / candied sweet potatoes / desserts for other people. Then each little section of my family has to have their own Christmas party, ugh.
    I don't care how much willpower you think you have, lol, eventually it will run out. Especially when Auntie X has made you your very favourite abc, then Uncle Y shows up with a huge platter of hijk, Cousin B finally made her special lmnop that takes forever....
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Quick Question...Why are you on this website then? I mean, Im just curious to know why youre using this site, if you have such amazing willpower? And I think its unfair to say "most of us"...on what basis have you decided that "most people on this site have willpower"...if they did why are they all on this website then with weight and food issues????

On another note, I thouroughly enjoyed original post, and thanks for posting
    x
  • thogue29
    Options
    Excellent post! Great perspective! Thanks for the encouragement and reframe of holiday weight gain!:smile: