Wake up call

Options
Hi y'all - just wanted to introduce myself formally. I've been following some of the forums on the site recently. I've been using MFP for about a month now after getting a wake up call in mid-November at my annual physical.

Last year (2010) my blood sugar was 125 and I managed to ignore the warning and went on to gain about 20 more pounds. Well, at this year's physical, I was officially diagnosed as Type II diabetic plus borderline hypertensive. Needless to say, it was a pretty traumatic doctor's appointment. I was in shock, but luckily the "slap in the face" motivated me to get started on becoming healthier. And at age 55 I really needed to do so quickly.

Now, three medications and a lot of diet changes later, I've lost 16 pounds and am starting to get some exercise. I started out at 280# on November 15 and am now at 264#. My current goal is to be 200#, although I may lower that target to 190# or 185# further into my weight loss.

So far, the weight loss has been fairly easy, of course. I cut out a lot of the junk I was eating and substituted healthier choices. I also have cut down on my portion sizes - e.g. a grilled chicken sandwich instead of a double cheeseburger. A handful of nuts or a piece of fruit instead of a candy bar. I know the weight loss will get more difficult as I go along so I'm hoping for some support from all the great people whose progress I've seen on this site.

Exercise has been really helpful also. I've started walking about 3x per week and want to up the number of days as well as add weight training into the mix.

Thanks,
Brent
aka buckeyetex315

P.S - a newbie question - I see "NSV" on the success story pages. What does this stand for? Thanks....

Replies

• lady_hellis
    lady_hellis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are taking your wake up call seriously! I lost my mom to diabetes when she was only 58, wish she would have listened to her doctors. I am on here because my last fasting blood sugar test was 100, this is too close for me! yikes. If you don't mind I will friend you and we can support each other as we run from this beast!
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats and the great start!
    NSV stand for Non-Scale Victory. Something that isn't weight related yet a victory....such as what you mentioned above about choosing a grilled chicken sandwich rather than the double cheeseburger. Or, fitting into a smaller size clothing....sometimes having someone notice and ask "have you lost weight?" all of those little things that aren't a number on a scale...yet, they keep us motivated and they are victories in themselves!
  • buckeyetex315
    buckeyetex315 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are taking your wake up call seriously! I lost my mom to diabetes when she was only 58, wish she would have listened to her doctors. I am on here because my last fasting blood sugar test was 100, this is too close for me! yikes. If you don't mind I will friend you and we can support each other as we run from this beast!

Sounds great! My first official friend...
  • buckeyetex315
    buckeyetex315 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks, katcena. I would have NEVER figured that out and I consider myself at least a passable Internet user.