No food is inherently bad.

No food is inherently bad, even processed foods and sugar serve a purpose on a lifestyle plan.

Saturated fat does not cause heart disease and carbohydrates do not cause diabetes, but excess of anything is not good for us.

We gain weight because we eat excess calories. There's a reason why studies have shown that people on both low-carb diets and low-fat diets lose the same amount of weight, both groups are consuming less calories then they are burning. I've lost weight doing both types of diets, the problem was I couldn't maintain that lifestyle and i gained the weight right back.

If you eliminate an entire food group like carbohydrates, the odds are you will lose weight. You won't have as many food options and so you eat less. In example is when someone brings cookies to work. If you are on a regular calorie restricted diet, you may take one, but if you are on a strict "no-carb" plan, then you will pass. Same is true when eating out, you options are simply limited.

The biggest advantage of eating low-carb, high fat & protein, I believe is hunger and hormones. Protein helps us feel full longer and fats are necessary for hormone production. So maybe it's easier to stick to, at least in the short-term.

When it comes to weight loss it is, calories in versus out, but the issue is it isn't as black and white as that. The types of calories we consume do affect our calorie output, also hunger can be affected by the foods we choose.

I don't force six meals a day, I eat when I'm hungry. I focus on eating protein and fiber with each meal. I get the good fats I need, and If a slice of cake fits in my calorie goals, I have it.

Even sugar and trans fats aren't all bad if they fill an emotional craving or hunger we have.
Depriving ourselves leads to failure so I believe it is extremely important to learn how to "walk the line" for long-term results.

I also believe we have it all wrong, and too many people see a "diet" as a quick fix. I used to, and I ended up gaining weight after each diet.

What I learned is the way we choose to lose weight has to become our lifestyle, if you can't see yourself following a certain plan long-term then you need to find a new one.
The reason I've kept off the weight now for several years, is I've never stopped or changed my diet plan. This is why no food can be taboo for me, if I want it, I'll have it. I just strategically time when I do.

The main point is we can't demonize certain foods, that happened with fat in the 80's and 90's, and now it's sugar. One type of food is not the cause of obesity. You can in fact eat all kinds of foods while losing weight.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Other than the case of Trans Fats, I pretty much agree with you.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member

Thanks, understand I'm not saying it's good or eat them in high amounts, but if I want a donut I will have a donut.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    I have to agree but in that scope, smoking would be not considered inherently bad?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

Thanks, understand I'm not saying it's good or eat them in high amounts, but if I want a donut I will have a donut.

and that is really the bottom line. if you want a donut, you will have one. No need for all the justifications from so many to say its ok. Whether its ok or not, people are gonna eat what they want and then tell themselves its ok if done in moderation or more often, if they have room left in their calorie total. Eating donuts, as we both know, is not the ideal choice. As long as people admit there are better choices and not justify their bad choice, with justifcations, I think they have a better chance of controlling their bad choices or keeping thier bad choices to a minimum.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    I agree. Unless of course you have an allergy. Or if we are talking about potted meat. That stuff is terrible. lol. But within reason all food is not the devil. It's okay to have those things you like once in a while. People sometimes stress too much if they ate a brownie and I don't get it. I'm a fat kid though, so I love sweets and I'm not going to deny myself a brownie once in a while. It's just wrong. lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    No food is inherently bad.

You've never had my ex's mother's cooking. How anyone can ruin chicken is beyond me!

But seriously, I agree. I've had all kinds of "bad" foods during the past year, and my progress was exactly what I wanted it to be. There are no bad foods, only bad portions.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Week old shrimp.
  • Russellb97

and that is really the bottom line. if you want a donut, you will have one. No need for all the justifications from so many to say its ok. Whether its ok or not, people are gonna eat what they want and then tell themselves its ok if done in moderation or more often, if they have room left in their calorie total. Eating donuts, as we both know, is not the ideal choice. As long as people admit there are better choices and not justify their bad choice, with justifcations, I think they have a better chance of controlling their bad choices or keeping thier bad choices to a minimum.

I agree, specifically I have one day a week I save for such vices.

We have an obesity epidemic, and we also have an epidemic of dieters. The problem with dieters(and I used to be the best one) is that they/I believe diets are a short-term fix. This is why the majority of people yo-yo diet all the time.
    The reason why is we can't stick to most diets because they are so restrictive. Once people know they can live a healthy lifestyle while still having a time to eat the foods they really love, then they can adopt & adapt a plan they can follow long-term.

The latest studies about diet and weight loss make me very optimistic and I think are liberating to people like me who have a weight problem.
    Specifically,
    *6 meals a day increasing metabolism is a myth.
    Liberating because you no longer have to force meals every couple of hours, instead you can eat when you're hungry.

*Eating at night does NOT increase fat storage anymore than eating early does - You know when they say eat like a King for breakfast, Prince for lunch, and a pauper for dinner? Well it's false. If you want your largest meal to be dinner, then do it.

*Leptin and hormones that decline while dieting - I knew this before but it's another benefit of having a Spike/Cheat Day

* Low-fat diets, and low-carbs are equal when it comes to weight loss- Again carbs are not the enemy.

*Fat is only stored when Glycogen is full- Again yay Spike Day! Also gives a benefit to trying to increase your glycogen storage capabilities as it acts a buffer for bodyfat.

People need to know that there are millions of ways to lose weight, and it is most beneficial to customize yourself a plan that you can stick to. You have choices.
  • Russellb97
    Week old shrimp.

:laugh:

What about the McDonald's burger that has been out for like 7 years? It still looks good.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 801 Member
    Great information.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    What an awesome post. I am going to print it out for my coworkers. Thanks for sharing!!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Agreed! Just had a very small slice of chocolate cake with a nice glass of red wine. Had cals left to eat so, no worries. It is a life style not a jail sentence. Moderation is key!