What is your favorite........

Options
So I want to know everyones favorite weight loss tip! Maybe we can all help each other out by sharing our tips and tricks (:

I try to drink a glass of water before and after each meal. It helps me eat less and stay full longer! :D

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, and then walk some more!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    water water water! And push yourself when you think you have nothing left to give! YOU CAN DO IT. I repeat that to myself during each and every workout! You cannot expect others to support you if you can't support yourself! DIG DEEP- and you will find it!
  • PrincessSedrak
    PrincessSedrak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    abs abs abs!!!!! crunches,sit ups ect.....
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Water. Lots of water.
    Plan full week menu, get the grocery's for it and stick to it.
    Park as far away as you can from where ever it is you are going (without risking life and limb) for the added exercise.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Portion control!!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    For belly fat you need to do full body type exercise - like Jumping Jacks, Squats, Rowing machine. The best exercises are where you squat with a weight and then explode up to lift the weight over your head. I love to walk - great for your legs, but doesn't do anything for belly fat or upper body fat.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    A bad meal, day or even week doesn't have to end your weight loss journey. If it happens then so be it. Take a couple of deep breaths and get back on track.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    For belly fat you need to do full body type exercise - like Jumping Jacks, Squats, Rowing machine. The best exercises are where you squat with a weight and then explode up to lift the weight over your head. I love to walk - great for your legs, but doesn't do anything for belly fat or upper body fat.
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Each individual's body accumulates and burns the fat where it wants to. Running did more to deflate my belly than anything else. Everyone is different, but no one cannot spot reduce fat.

Here's the reputable data to back this up.

"Spot reduction refers to the belief, long viewed as a myth, that fat can be targeted for reduction from a specific area of the body. There is a common view, although many people believe that view is misguided, that it is possible to achieve spot reduction through exercise of specific muscles in the desired area, such as exercising the abdominal muscles in an effort to lose weight in or around one's midsection. Advertisers play on this concept when advertising exercise-related products to gullible people. However, many fitness experts do not believe it is possible to reduce fat in one area by exercising that body part alone. Instead, fat is lost from the entire body as a result of diet and regular exercise. Muscle tone in the abdominal region does not reduce fat in that region. Instead, being on a caloric deficit is recommended for reducing abdominal fat.

The misunderstanding may be contributed to by the firming and shaping effect of muscle hypertrophy. When additional muscle is built, it takes up new space which can briefly compress subdermal fat against the skin until the skin adapts, a larger bulging muscle shape is also more easily seen through the layer of fat on top of it. This can give the illusion of fat being reduced when it has not. For example, triceps hypertrophy firming the back of the arm.

A 2006 study published in the American Journal of Physiology uncovered some interesting results, which seem to indicate that spot-reduction may in fact be possible, although to what degree is unclear. In the study, conducted at the University of Copenhagen (Denmark), scientists had male subjects perform single-leg extensions with light weight for 30 consecutive minutes. The researchers then measured the amount of blood flow to the subjects' subcutaneous fat cells (those under the skin) in both the exercising and resting thighs, as well as the amount of lipolysis (release of fat) from those fat cells.

The scientists discovered the exercising leg experienced a significant increase in blood flow to and lipolysis from the subcutaneous fat cells, compared to the resting leg. During exercise, the fat cells surrounding the trained muscle released more fat into the blood, meaning a greater quantity of fat from the targeted area is released into the body to be used as fuel. The study suggests that when you exercise, you do burn bodyfat preferentially from the area you're training."

Sources
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_reduction
    http://www.netwellness.uc.edu/question.cfm/21417.htm
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
    http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/Wellness/Ask-The-Expert/Default.aspx
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985258
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Plan meals ahead. That keeps me from ordering takeout. And I try to use the stairs instead of the elevator at work.

11157633.png
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Logging my foods and drinks, for sure. I tried WW and lost weight several times, but calculating and counting the points was a hassle. MFP is my favorite weight loss tip :D
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If I really wants something, say a candy bar, I have just a small portion/bite and then I brush me teeth. When my teeth are clean it's harder to eat the junk food. I also brush them right after lunch and it keeps me from snacking.

The other thing is portion control. I probably haven't used an adults size plate all year.
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    ARTICHOKE TEA IT WORKED FOR ME
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    May sound strange, but works for me. Videotaped my fat backside running on my treadmill when I first started... I could only go about ten minutes. Whenever I get discouraged or want to slack off, I take a look at that and it gets me right back to the program. I never want to look like that away. Tonight, I just finished an easy hour. My fitness blog here details my love affair with my treadmill, haha. :)
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Is it weird to say being happy? I noticed that when I'm happier, I lose a lot more weight then when i'm stressed or upset. I try to keep myself happy and that's the best weight loss tip that I use :)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    These are what has helped me so far...

http://reasonstobefit.tumblr.com/
    http://fear-and-blame.tumblr.com/
    http://fit-is-the-new-thin.tumblr.com/
    motivational pictures keep me on track. If my printer worked I'd have these posted on my bathroom mirror, closet door, refrigerator, pantry.. etc

music that gets me pumped up like Rage Against the Machine
    I love teas, I drink all kinds (no sweetener)
    I drink 1 gallon of water every day
    sleep!! get lots of sleep. if I have time power naps - 30 minutes really help me out.
    surprisingly walking has helped tremendously in my weight loss more than anything else. My son's school is only a mile from our house so on nice days we walk to & from. I have an old knee injury which my ortho prohibits any running so walking, biking, or swimming for me.
    eating more raw foods, the majority of them being vegetables.
    I have an old pic of me as a reminder to stay on track.
    I also have an old outfit hanging up in my closet that I'm still too fat to wear that I will fit into when I reach my goal.
    deep breathing exercises 3x per day 15 minutes. This has helped me stay focused, not stressed.

edited to add - this may sound weird but every night before bed I have a "talk" with my body, I notice the nights I do this I see more progress. I try to remember to do this every night. I just tell it to release whatever it is holding onto - kinda like a self guided meditation.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Water, exercise, and don't deny yourself anything, just eat it in moderation!!!!!!
    100 calorie packs are your friends!!!!!

and Exercise!
    oh... and don't forget water...
    LOL...
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Stick to it no matter what. Even if the number on the scale doesn't move, start measuring instead but don't give up. Try new things here and there if you're in a plateau, eventually it'll shake off and the inches and lbs will start going down.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, water, HEAVY weight training
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Favorite weight loss tip! Eat! Yes, eat all of the calories given to you by MFP and the ones you gain from exercising :)