Heart Rate Monitor vs. MFP Database

Options
I bought a hrm for the first time yesterday and I did my workout this morning while wearing it. According to the hrm I burned 322 calories and according to the My Fitness Pal database I burned 266. So, my questions are, which is more accurate and which one should I go with?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    which has more specific information concerning YOU? that is your answer
  • daisynsunshine
    Options
    I hear that the hrm is more accurate. I am trying mine out again tommorrow. I did not like that it sad that I had only burned half what mfp said today!
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree I think the HRM would be more accurate because you get different calorie burning with your heart rate, I think that is why they call some exercise low intensity and high intensity.
  • akyraj2006
    akyraj2006 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i would go with the heart rate monitor... it takes your weight, age, and heart rate into consideration. the mfp figures are based on averages. the hrm is geared more toward you!!! :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    You will find that MFP is either too high or too low for most activities (same with the machines at the gym if that applies). As long as your HRM has your correct information it's the one to go with.
  • SiouxPrincess
    SiouxPrincess Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The HRM is always more accurate then MFP, it calculates your info. - weight, height, gender, HR, etc. MFP only goes by your weight, height, gender and gives you an average calorie burn for your weight. When I started using my HRM my calories were less than what MFP had in its database. It helps to have a more accurate number when you are trying not to go over your daily calorie intake.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I go with my HRM, as it's constantly monitoring my heart rate. MFP is based on my height, weight, sex, and MY PERCEPTION of my intensity level. My HRM is based on my height, weight, sex, and the ACTUAL intensity level.

So if you've input your stats on your HRM, I'd go with what it says.

For what it's worth... my HRM always gives me lower than MFP predicts. Makes me think I could totally be working harder.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Generally, HRM are more accurate. If your HRM has a chest strap, then definitely go with the HRM. I worked out for about 6 months only using MFP's numbers and was massively shocked when I started using my HRM. I was only actually burning 1/3 of what MFP was telling me I was burning. This meant I was overeating like crazy. So, I would trust your HRM and manually input your calories burned when you enter your exercise times.